Oil leak or dirty diesel?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dieselmatt
Oil leak or dirty diesel??

Hello all! I'm new here and have been lurking around for a few weeks now. I bought a '06 cc 4x4 with 78000 on it. Most of those were highway miles driving from Jacksonville to San Diego all the time for the previous owner. I have been calculating my gas mileage at about 15 with 50% highway and 50% city. Honestly I was expecting better, but I have taken some action on that by getting a bed cover and checking my fuel filters. The filter looked a little dirty and this is my first diesel so I figured I would change it and see what happens.

Now, my question is this...when I checked the 2nd fuel filter on top of the engine I didn't take any fuel out so when I put it back some spilled down on the top of the engine. I figured it would just dry up. That was on Monday. Today when I actually changed the filters out I noticed some black liquid on the under carriage as well as some on top of the engine. Is this an actual oil leak or is it just diesel that gathered dirt and didn't dry?

Sorry for the long post...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2007, 03:29 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselmatt View Post
Hello all! I'm new here and have been lurking around for a few weeks now. I bought a '06 cc 4x4 with 78000 on it. Most of those were highway miles driving from Jacksonville to San Diego all the time for the previous owner. I have been calculating my gas mileage at about 15 with 50% highway and 50% city. Honestly I was expecting better, but I have taken some action on that by getting a bed cover and checking my fuel filters. The filter looked a little dirty and this is my first diesel so I figured I would change it and see what happens.

Now, my question is this...when I checked the 2nd fuel filter on top of the engine I didn't take any fuel out so when I put it back some spilled down on the top of the engine. I figured it would just dry up. That was on Monday. Today when I actually changed the filters out I noticed some black liquid on the under carriage as well as some on top of the engine. Is this an actual oil leak or is it just diesel that gathered dirt and didn't dry?

Sorry for the long post...
Welcome to the Org. This is not a long posting compared to other posts on here.

For your problem I would check the cover of the fuel filter housing make sure it is tight. When you checked the filter earlier this week you may not have gotten the cover tight and it could have leaked. What does the liquid smell like does it smell like diesel.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to dieselmatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
Welcome to the Org. This is not a long posting compared to other posts on here.

For your problem I would check the cover of the fuel filter housing make sure it is tight. When you checked the filter earlier this week you may not have gotten the cover tight and it could have leaked. What does the liquid smell like does it smell like diesel.
I checked the tightness and it was tight. I just changed the o-ring with the filter so if it wasn't tight it should be now. It does have a hint of diesel smell to it, but its more slippery than diesel which leads me to think its a mix. One of the spots I see the black liquid is on the turbo flexible pipe on the top left of it. Almost like its getting blown out by the turbo. I checked the clamps and they seemed good .
Old 10-13-2007, 03:39 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Hmmmm I am not that great with 6.0's so hopefully one of our techs or some one with more knowledge then me can help you out.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I wouldn't worry about it. But it is suggested to use a turkey baster(sp) to drain the fuel from filter housing before putting in the new fuel filter. I don't remember marc doing this when he showed me how to change mine though. lol but i've read that it is recommended. welcome to the org! only dumb question is the one you don't ask.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

my 6.0 ex blows alittle oil out of the base of the elbow on the back by the filters. ford said that was normal with high boost
Old 10-14-2007, 04:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselmatt View Post
I checked the tightness and it was tight. I just changed the o-ring with the filter so if it wasn't tight it should be now. It does have a hint of diesel smell to it, but its more slippery than diesel which leads me to think its a mix. One of the spots I see the black liquid is on the turbo flexible pipe on the top left of it. Almost like its getting blown out by the turbo. I checked the clamps and they seemed good .
okay here goes. the 3micron filter on top of the engine is located in the "fuel bowl" . when you change it, no need to remove any fuel, just put the new filter in nice and SLOW and let it absorb the fuel like a sponge and you'll be trouble free.
most likely the spilt diesel is what you are seeing, i always see a little bit after a filter change.
as for the "black liquid being blown out by the turbo" that's exactly what it is. it is engine oil vapor that has been recycled thru the intake from the CCV (crank case ventilation) there is a cheap mod to reroute this so it stays clean. you will have that oil mess in your charge tubes and intercooler as well as your intake manifold thanks to the CCV.
as far as your original question i think you're okay, it's all normal stuff you are seeing from what i can tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.