1st Post, 1st Diesel, 1st Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1st Post, 1st Diesel, 1st Question

Hey guys, been doing a lot of reading, great site.

Upgraded the wifes Chevy Z71 for a 2006 F250 King Ranch CCSB, 60,000 miles on the odometer.

Love the truck, so much more room, power, and style.

Checked the Oasis report and the Carfax and all came up clean, with one red flag but we bought it anyway. The good: truck was bought and serviced routinely at the same dealership for the first 5 years, then traded back to the dealership. No issues shown up on the reports during this time, and overall a really clean truck with just a few minor dings. The red flag: truck was sold and then re-possessed 10 months later.

Nothing to bad yet, right? Well, its got a Banks Six Gun under the hood. Through reading the hundreds of posts on here and some of the other forums, the Banks system gets less than stellar reviews, but then there are a few that say it works great for them. This isn't the Six Gun with the six position knob for changing the tune, but it had what I assume was the Banks IQ touchpad, only i don't have the touchpad with the truck. All the wiring is there, plugs into the OBD-II port, etc, just missing the touchpad.

I know its running a tune, compared to my brother in laws F-350, a lot more responsive on the low end. This also has a Banks 4" monster exhaust system. From what I can see, most everything else is stock. Stock head bolts, air cleaner, turbo pipes, EGR, etc. Everything I've looked at (that I know to look at, again, first diesel) appears to be stock Ford parts.

With that novel written, what would you all recommend? Next week its going to get new filters/fluids-oil, transmission, differentials, coolant, etc. Have read all the bulletproofing threads and digesting all that as well.

About the Banks, would you spend the money for the Banks IQ touchscreen, or remove it all and do the SCT with custom tunes? I know when starting from scratch you all say SCT is the way to go, and am guessing you're going to say go SCT anyways. Currently truck is getting showing 22mpg when running 73mph on mostly level cruise control interstate driving. Hand calculated mixed driving was matching the computer, in the 19.5 mpg range.

Driving is mostly my wife's go to town rig (20 miles to closest grocery store), but we'll also pull a small stock trailer or a skid steer or small tractor once in a while.

I'm sure I've forget something I wanted to ask, but will get it next go round.

Thanks for your thoughts-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had the banks 6 gun with iq on my 6.4 2008. It's not bad, I think the overall complaint about it is the price vs the power. They're extremely pricy and don't really improve the power as much as other tuners. If the tuner interacts With the 6.0 the same way it does with a 6.4 you have a bit of an issue. There is a certain procedure to bring it back to stock, which you'll need the iq to do it. If you just disconnect it without following procedure it will shut down the 6.4 into limp mode. If you are going to ditch it, drive to the dealer and have them pull it and flash the truck back to stock.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
Old 08-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Forgot to state that I've got the ScanGuageII. Differential temps of EOT/ECt are single digits, FICM voltages are fine as well.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:58 PM
The Silent Service

Ditch the Banks tuning, it wrecks havoc with the transmissions and go with the SCT for tuning.

As for most of the 6.0L questions, check out each of the write up links in my sig. A lot of information to gather, and I have a performance thread in there as well.

Anything else, just ask here or via PM, and I'll try and get back to ya.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:43 AM

Colo is right about the transmission. On my 6.4 the instructions stated it needed to relearn the trans for every power setting, EVERY TIME YOU CHANGED IT!! What a PIA and nobody is going to do that in reality, especially when you can so easily change the power setting on the fly. I had quite alot of slammed gear changes with it. Having owned a Banks I would not really want to own it again. You're much better off with an Edge Insight CTS to monitor your truck and an SCT tuner if you want to tune it.

But like I said before, you may want to pull the Banks at the dealer, there's a chance it will disable the truck if you just pull it out without following the proper uninstall procedure (which requires the IQ).
Old 08-08-2012, 02:11 PM

yank the bullydog off asap and just go ahead and do sct w/ custom. much better in the long run.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. You all reaffirmed what I figured you were going to say as well as what I planned on doing. The Banks Six Gun will be coming off and an SCT will be purchased ahead of time.

To what Boozer said, if I pull it off without the Banks IQ touchscreen, I should do it at a dealer to get reflashed. If I've got an SCT with custom tunes loaded, should I be able to upload from the new tuner and be A-O-K?

Are the vendors you all use for the SCT kind of like a Ford versus Chevy debate? I see Vivian gets mentioned a lot, and I believe it is Eric at a different shop get mentioned a lot. Flip a coin and go with one? I assume I can just tell them what truck I've got, whatever particulars they ask about it, what I plan on doing with the truck, and they'll make the recommendations as to what tune to use?

Again, thanks guys for your help in dealing with a newbie.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:41 PM
The Silent Service

Contact Banks to see what they recommend for removal of the system without the touchscreen. You may have to do it in a dealership parking lot, and get reflashed, but wait to see what Banks says on the matter.

You'll want a normal Ford strategy on the ECM/TCM when you load a tune from the SCT. There have been issues with other tuners leaving an artifact, of sorts, that make tuning after the fact problematic.

As for the tuner, choose any of the popular names on these forums, and you won't have much of an issue. Each has their pros/cons, its all about finding the tuner who has the type of file and features you are looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.