Low FICM Voltage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low FICM Voltage

When i start the truck, my battery voltage sits around 11v to 12.5v and it remains this way for approx 2 or 3 minutes. Once the 2 - 3 minutes are up, the voltage rises to where it should be. Also my FICM voltage is droping down as low as 43v before the truck is warm

So now the parts i have in question are:

Batteries (replaced Jan. 2012) - Optima reds
OEM FICM
I think OEM Alternator

What would be your best solution to this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 01:13 PM
The Silent Service

First the batteries aren't holding the right float voltage for the FICM, if the batteries can't hold over 12v before cranking it can take a toll on the FICM. The Optima Reds don't have a good track record in these trucks.

The FICM is in need of replacement/rebuild, 43v is very low and it will take a toll on the injectors if not corrected.

As for the alternator, what's your voltage sitting at after the alternator kicks on (there is a delay after cranking to shut off the glow plug circuit)?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:19 PM

as you know i ordered the FICM from BPD but i am starting to have second thoughts that that is the core of the issue. once the truck is warmed up and has run for say 5 minutes, the voltage stays at ~13.5v.

i am not sure the voltage prior to cranking. i will have those numbers in just a moment for you.

I did a basic test to check the alternator by turning on my bright lights (although they are HIDs - less power draw) and turning the A/C all the way up with the radio turned up. there was no fluctuation in the battery voltage. My thoughts that this happened because the alternator was carrying the current properly.

I am aware of the optima battery issue, i just wasnt at the time i spent an arm and leg to buy them.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:24 PM

Before ranking while key is in "on" position
Battery voltage - 11.7v +/-0.1
FICM voltage - 48v
Old 08-07-2012, 01:31 PM
The Silent Service

Those new batteries aren't any good. I'd see if you can swing by an Autozone, or the like, and get the alternator checked. Just to be sure.

You will want to get the power issue taken care of before putting that new unit in there.

Did you get the 4 phase, or the 6 phase unit from them?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:35 PM

Correct me if i am wrong, but once the truck runs for a moment, the battery voltage rises to 13.5v. Would this not indicate that the alternator is working properly?

I agree with running the test. I cant think of any negatives from testing the alternator.

I ordered the 6 phase. supposed to be here on the 10th
Old 08-07-2012, 01:41 PM
The Silent Service

13.5v with the alternator engaged isn't too bad, most likely its trying to overcome the lack of charge on those batteries. So I'd go with those first, and I know it sucks since you just got those Optimas.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:00 PM

i will never buy another set of those piece of s*** batteries again. This is absolutely obsurd that easily one of the most expeincive batteries on the market is the biggest piece of crap. What is even more frustrating is the fact that i had to buy two of the D*** things.

Live and learn.

Anyone want to buy a set of freshly warrenteed optima red tops?
Old 08-07-2012, 06:19 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
return them. they are under warranty. i got a set of 850 cca interstates and after a year and a half, they went bad. the shop charged me 48 bucks to do the test but replaced them for free not pro rated. they replaced them with 650 cca saying that the inside plates were thicker. dont know if thats bs or not, but i agreed to let them do it.

bailey
Old 08-07-2012, 06:32 PM

If i am not mistaken, they will only exchange them while they are under warranty. If they will allow me to return them for cash so i can purchase decent batteries i will be pleased. All Advance auto carries here is optima and Autocraft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.