Puking with studs! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Puking with studs!

About a year ago I did studs and gaskets and also did egr delete, oil cooler and all related updated parts. I did have the heads resurfaced too. Truck has been great till now. Im now puking from degas bottle again. only thing I can figure is failure of the BO head gaskets I used... Anyone else have any input? I thought the studs should be a one time thing. How often do these trucks fail with studs? What about my heads, will I be able to surface them again or am I gonna have to replace them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Black onyx gaskets are now known as junk, A few years ago everyone was using them, but they don't last. I just had to replace mine with about 10,000 miles on them. One cylinder was blowing past the gasket. Good luck, I didn't bother machining my heads the 2nd time around they were flat the block was flat just a crap gasket.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

unbelieveable.... can you get oem gaskets without the bolts? What all did you replace the second time?
Old 08-05-2012, 09:39 PM
The Silent Service

You should be able to get away with having the heads checked over. There is only so much that can be removed from them, and weather they can be decked again will depend on how much material was removed the first time.

First issue was the use of Black Onyx gaskets (as they are thinner than stock, and don't provide the same level of seal)?

Any indications on the Insight as to an oil cooler issues (I realize you are deleted)?

Was the torque spec on the studs followed exactly, or were they overtorqued (this on is a bit of a long shot compared to the BO gaskets)?

Last I checked Ford sold their gaskets with bolts only. I recommend flushing and rebuilding the oil cooler while you are in there, and take care of any MY weaknesses overlooked the first time.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Premium Member

oil cooler was failing again. the oilcooler was replaced at the time of doing the studs but cooling system was flushed with vc9 AFTER oilcooler was replaced. I had to replace it again almost immediatly. my deltas right now are around 20 to 25 degrees. oil temp has never been over 230. torque specs were followed on the studs.
The flush and oil cooler rebuild were on my list before i started puking again. As far as the flush goes should I use vc9, restore, restore plus, or all?
Old 08-05-2012, 09:51 PM
The Silent Service

I'd go restore, and restore plus with the flush, and plenty of distilled water. If you are getting rid of the Ford Gold.
If you intend to continue to run it, VC9 would be fine. As long as its before the tear down.

I had my HG's done, same way, left the shop with an 8* delta. Planning on the oil cooler rebuild myself come spring, and I'm flushing the Gold out.

Even with the EGR deletion, you shouldn't allow that oil cooler to get that clogged, you don't have the one link to the cylinders, but you could still rupture the oil cooler.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Premium Member

i got rid of the gold coolant when i did the studs, been running the ELC for a year now.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I am asking a serious question no intent on sounding like a dink.
Have you heard of Bullet proof and their oil coolers?
pricey-yes, but they actually are a one and done deal, no bs.

I only ask that because of the knowledge of the BO gaskets.
Just trying to help.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

I am familar with Bulletproof. I didnt want to go that route because of cost and I dont think its as efficient as the stock cooler. Most deltas are higher with the air cooled unit from bulletproof. I did add the coolant filter hoping it would have prevented or delayed another oil cooler plugging. I am thinking of going with IPR's remote mount cooler kit. Anyone have any feedback on this? At the time I did my studs the BO gaskets were reccomended to me by several on this site and also a diesel tech at my local dealer. I didnt want to spend more for the factory gaskets and bolts when I knew I would be throwing away the bolts when many people said to go with the BO I didnt question it. Now I am seeing alot of failures...
Old 08-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

factory gaskets come with bolts and stand pipes. I ordered new dummy plugs as well. New turbo oil drain tube and feed line because mine hadn't been updated. my deltas are fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.