Thinking about pulling the trigger on a 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a 6.0

Hey guys, new here from Mandeville, Louisiana. Figured yall would be able to help me out. Been looking into and researching diesels for a while now. i am currently driving a 2003 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 gas truck. I like it and all but i really have the bug for a diesel. My chevy only gets around 9 mpg, i figured I may get lucky and save a couple dollars on gas, or maybe not. Anyways, I currently looking at this truck:

2004 Ford Super Duty F-250 Lariat $12,500 - Boardwalk Motorcars LLC Baton Rouge Louisiana 70816

If yall could take a look at it and see what yall think, 04 6.0 Lariat 158,000
4x4. The 6.0 kind of scares me and I am just looking for an honest opinion and what i should look for.

Thanks Guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 03:13 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Read this...What to look for when buying a used 6.0L

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:22 PM

Honest opinion, I had a 2500HD 6.0L gasser, in same boat as you, wanted better MPG. I tow a car and figure a diesel would be ticket. Went with 2005 6.0L Powerstroke. Got 17mpg highway unloaded, and it did good towing. You will love the truck, until it starts giving you fits. The more you read on the 6.0L PSD the more paranoid you will become. Its not an issue of if its going to have issues its WHEN. So, for now, I'm back in another 2500hd, getting piss poor fuel mileage but enjoying the reliability and ease of maintenance.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

If you buy the 6.0, make sure you have some money in savings to pay for the fixes. Also if they offer the ASC warranty with it GET IT. it will save you $$$
Old 08-06-2012, 09:59 PM
The Silent Service

If you are going to buy a 6.0L, read up here on the ORG, and other sites and know exactly what you are getting into and what to look for.

Purchase a monitor and have it with you when you look at the truck. Anything not check out, or the owner won't allow you to hook up, walk away from that truck and keep looking. Pull the strategy off the truck, and read up on its issues.

I also recommend you look at trucks built in '05-'07 for the updates and ride quality. Focused on trucks build after Jan '06 when the last factory updates where made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.