Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Build Thread: TowBoss F350 6.0L PSD.

39K views 73 replies 25 participants last post by  ChallengerRV 
#1 · (Edited)
Build Thread: Heavy Towing - TowBoss F350 6.0L PSD.

For the ORG:
Definitely a long way from being done with this build. Any questions, or comments feel free to post up on this thread, or shoot me a PM and I'll be sure to get back to you.
This thread is still a work in progress.

Section 1: Stock Information, and modifications made to the TowBoss.

The Truck, is its stock form:
Back in October of 2006, I took delivery of a factory ordered 2007 F350 with the TowBoss package, and 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel. This truck was a reward to myself, my dream truck, as I had just returned from my third deployment and had re-enlisted overseas. This would be the first diesel I've owned:

What separates the TowBoss package from the normal DRW trucks:
-6.0L Powerstroke and 5R110 Torqshift Automatic are required.
-TowCommand option is required with the factory trailer brake controller.
-4.30LS gearing in the axles
-Rear Differential came with an Aluminum Diff cover, that I haven't seen on any documentation for this package.
-GCWR goes up from the 23,500# of the DRW trucks, upto 26,000# with the TowBoss

Think of this as the forerunner to the F450 Pick-up bodied trucks Ford sells today. The axle ratings haven't gone up by much, and the frames are no longer the C&C frames like they were for the '08-'10 F450 Pick-ups.

Where am I taking this build:
The philosophy of this build is based purely on towing heavy loads in the Rocky Mountain high country where I intend to retire when my service obligation is completed. I'm intending to retain full GCWR for this truck, and be able to haul that load on the steep mountain grades between 6,000-14,000ft above sea level. All emissions control equipment will remain on board, (this includes the EGR Cooler, EGR Valve, and CAT) understanding these will hold back the performance of this truck. Nevertheless, with as often as I move, and the increase in emissions regulations, I do not want to have to pull the truck apart to reinstall emission compliant components should the need arise.

The other aspect that is worth mentioning, is the requirement that all aftermarket modifications work without compromise with factory Ford programming. This affords me the option to return to stock to support troubleshooting, as a back up to a corrupted SCT file, or dealer un-authorized re-flash, and still be confident the truck will get me and its load to where we are going without being held up by tuning. This also allows for me to thoroughly test new components under Ford Programming, as well as my custom files, which levels the field for annalist of performance gains.

The other goal of retaining compatibility of each aftermarket modification with stock programming, is the ability to tow heavy in the Rockies with that programming, having full confidence in not having issues. This is not to say it can't be done with custom files, I simply haven't done any towing with an aftermarket file at altitude.

For the first 4 years, I drove this truck as my daily driver, bone stock and under warranty. I knew the reputation of the motor, but put that secondary to the reputation of the truck holding up over the years, and its amazing automatic transmission. For a base line of performance, I provide the following numbers:
Peak Boost: 28psi
RPMs @ 60MPH: 2,000
EGTs @ 65MPH: 650-800*
EGTs @ 75MPH: 800-1000*
MPG City: 10.5-12 (average)
MPG Interstate: 13.5-14.8 (best around 68mph empty)
Stock HP/Torque: 325HP / 570 ft-lbs (typically see 270RWHP, on most trucks)

The Dreaded Head Gasket Failure:
January 2011, I took the truck in for the tell-tail signs of a failed oil cooler and EGR cooler. I had joined the ORG a month prior, and had taken that little time to get to understand the trucks issues, and solutions. The diagnosis at 62,XXX miles, was lifted HGs due to a failure of the EGR cooler. Thanks to the ORG, it didn't leave me stranded somewhere, nor did I drive it long enough to hydro-lock on me. Ford Motor Company stepped up, and warranted the whole job (I went in expecting to be out of the 5yr/60k that I had documentation of, and was fully prepared to pay the full bill.) Coolant pressure was seen at 22 psi, and unable to hold vacuum, and ECT/EOT delta was 19*. This was long before I got a monitor in the truck, had I known then what I know now, this never would have transpired. The following components were replaced:
-OEM Oil Cooler
-OEM EGR Cooler
-OEM Head Gaskets
-Ford Gold Coolant
-ARP Head Studs (see below)
Ford work procedures were in place for this job, which ment that the coolant flush took place after the new oil cooler was installed. This is a procedure written by Ford, assuming worse case scenario of a ruptured oil cooler. The result of course is an 8* delta when I left the shop (later confirmed when I installed the monitor.) The only aftermarket part authorized for this work, was the installation of ARP Head Studs at my expense.

Note: I had discussed with the service manager about getting the heads machined, and the installation of BO/VR gaskets. The response was simple, warranty work would not be authorized with those, so I didn't push the matter. The gaskets of course would prove in my benefit, as the OEM units have a lower failure rate. The heads, though checked per Ford's proceedures, are understood that those could case an issue in the future. 26K later, and I don't have an issue yet.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...lack-onyx-headgaskets-why-imho-they-fail.html

For more information about bullet-proofing your 6.0L PSD:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...204386-write-up-bullet-proofing-6-0l-psd.html

Monitoring this Truck:
First modification would be the installation of a Transmission Temp gauge, and Pyrometer (EGT guage) in a custom dual-gauge pod.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/me...write-up-dual-gauge-install-2007-f-350-a.html
I have since expanded that setup to include an Edge Insight CS, and gauges for Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, and a Voltmeter.
[I owe you guys a formal write up on this, and will link it here when completed]

I run a few different screen configurations, depending on what I am doing. I will cover that in Section #3.

For more information about Monitoring your 6.0L PSD:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/259257-write-up-monitoring-6-0l-psd.html

SCT Tuning, lets get this truck moving:
Logically, with the studs and a monitor, I'd be crazy not to at least try some aftermarket tuning files and see what new life we could breathe into the truck. Went with the SCT X3 unit from Innovative Diesel Performance. I'm running X-Race, Street, and the Tow file, after the installation of street the wife and I went out to see how much of a difference it made. In a nut shell these trucks are really held back by stock tuning. For those on the fence about a tuner, try out the SCT even with a good street level tune that would be safer for stock head bolts and see the difference it makes. The fuel economy that can be gained, the daily drivability, and the enjoyment you have with a tuned 6.0L was a real surprise to me.

Tuning File Data:
--X-Race: Very firm shifting. Smoke wasn't a concern when I had this tune written, as a DD tune it doesn't smoke unless you get past 1/2 throttle. As a WOT tune it will smoke hard until that turbo lights and it fades to a haze. The TC doesn't lock up in 2nd gear as it did in earlier versions of the file, unless the truck is in Tow/Haul - in which case the tune handles a bit differently.
Peak Boost: 28psi
Expected Power: ~425RWHP
Cruising EGT:
MPG City: 11.4 - 13.6
MPG Interstate: 15.2 - 16.5
Average Improvement: ~14%
--Street: Much milder shifting and great street manners. Very little smoke even when I push to WOT.
Peak Boost: 28 psi
Expected Power: ~380RWHP
Cruising EGT:
MPG City: 11.4 - 13.5
MPG Interstate: 14.6 - 16.0
Average Improvement: ~10%
--Tow: Every load I have has been different, so I don't have much in the way of concrete numbers for this file. It does pull stronger than stock without noticeable increase in EGTs pulling the grades.
Peak Boost: 27 psi
Expected Power: ~310RWHP
Cruising EGT: N/A
MPG City: N/A
MPG Interstate: N/A
Average Improvement: N/A
Max Load Hauled: ~15,000K Gross Household goods/'96 Ranger without weigh tickets.
**I will be updating this thread as I try out new tunes**

Miscellaneous Modifications of Function and Longevity:
At this point, I took a step back and installed a couple of function and longevity modifications.
--Dieselsite By-pass Coolant filter: For the additional protection of the coolant system, water pump, and oil cooler.
--Kobalt Tools Tool Chest: 11.5 cu. ft.
--Wilson 2000 CB Antennae: Upgraded a window mounted antennea, and is mounted to the tool chest. This is paired with a Cobra 18 series CB radio in the cab that has been with me since my first truck.
[Image - Installed Coolant Filter - when I find it]
[Image - Installed Tool Chest and CB Antennea - when I find it]

Exhaust System:
Finally addressed the exhaust system, temps were fine for daily driving with all of my files, but I wanted to get a deeper tone and be able to open it up a bit.
-Stock CAT was removed, de-rusted and prepped for painting.
-Stainless Steel MBRP 3.5" Downpipe.
-Aluminized MBRP 5" Cat-back system - no tip.

Went aluminized from the cat-back for two reasons, one not being able to find an affordable 5" stainless system, and two in the event I considered it too loud and wanted to change it anyway. The whole system was primed, and sprayed flat black with Rustoleum High-Temp paint, including the hangers. So far its held up ok in the salt winters of the east coast. The system fits well even with the DRWs, a slight rubbing on the rear spring, but nothing to concern myself with yet. When I install the Gooseneck hitch, I'll check for final clearances and update this.

What I've seen with this system I see a 50-100* EGT drop consistently when cruising, and this allows me a chance to get on the throttle a bit longer before climbing to my threshold of 1200*. Tone is deep, minimal gain in turbo whistle, not a loud system unless I get past about 1/2 throttle, then it sounds authoritative.

Heaviest Load to Date: 18,240# PCS Move

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
CUSTOM Turbocharger:

A combination of parts from KC Turbos Stage 2 DIY kit, on the foundation of a Garrett Powermax with a couple of extra parts thrown in.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...-turbos-stage-2-diy-towboss.html#post12147098

FICM Tuning:
I have the dual program tuner from Innovative Diesel. The tunes are Mild (+25RWHP) and Inductive Heating (+15RWHP). These two files have matched well with both the factory Ford programming and my SCT Files that didn't account for the FICM. Though I am doubtfull of the HP values as written, the benefit in low range power is definitely there.

This course of action was the result of multiple e-mail conversations with multiple tuners, and researching multiple threads on the ORG and other forums comparing individual files along with the tuners offered by both PHP and IDP. Most tuners agree that the most you will see out of any of these files is +20 - +30 RWHP on average regardless of tune used. (I will discuss this more in detail in Section 3.) I don't require multiple files for my application with the exception of returning to stock. I don't intend to ever run more than +40HP over stock without the aid of transmission tuning (running FICM file under stock Ford programming). I don't require the monitoring of the PHP unit, as my Insight CS handles that job much better than the legacy Edge unit PHP uses. Finally, using IDP allows my to keep all electronic programming under 1 name.

New SCT Files:
I have run three new files from Windrunner Performance Engineering, combining both the FICM tunes and the New Stage 2 Turbo from KC. I cover this in detail on that thread, so I won't repeat it here. The files I have are White Rain (Street Performance Tune), White Tow which does include a mild amount of additional fueling, and finally Heavy Tow which mimics factory fueling, adapts to this new turbo, and actually locks out 5th gear when Tow/Haul is enabled.

With this new electronic tuning (and I haven't ruled out live tuning, should the oppurity arise) I intend to break 500RWHP on this build with a performance file. (Further discussion of this in Section 3.)

Solving FICM Related Issues:
This was a simple choice, I installed the Bullet-Proof Diesel 4 phase FICM power supply. BPD went above and beyond what I see anyone else offer in the aftermarket on this part. Most others, are little more than re-manufactured units, with a voltage upped to 53v or 58v. BPD resigned the power supply haft, used mil-spec components, and re-machined a larger heat sink section.

This unit only replaces the power supply of the FICM, and requires a little work on the owners part to get the unit installed. This allows the aftermarket tuning kept on the logic board, or factory program if you are still running it, to be retained with the new power board.

External Modificaitons:
I have installed a Magnum Mfg Hi-Profile Headache rack with 6" LED brake and reverse lights, along with the long bedrails they offer. They are welded alluminum and powdercoated black and the wiring harness goes straight to the 7-pin trailer connection. Fits very well. May be adding a LED lightbar down the road on the back of this unit.

Section 2: Planned Modifications to be made to the TowBoss.

This section is dedicated to the planned future modifications to this truck. I intend to also discuss my thought process with each of these modifications, how I intend to test them, and each desision point (either here or in Section 3). I will also touch on the advantages and disadvantages with each of these modifications. Most of this data will transfer into my individual thread write-ups, at each stage of this process.

For those looking for more information on the performance potential of the 6.0L PSD:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...256689-write-up-power-potential-6-0l-psd.html

The Next Oil Cooler:
So last I left the shop I started the oil cooler with an 8* delta, needless to say, I'm going to do the next oil cooler myself and solve a few of these issues. By my estimates, I should be able to make it 'till spring, I'm seeing a 11-12* delta currently. Here's my plan:
--Flush with Restore, Restore Plus, and distilled water.
--Complete tear down to the oil cooler.
--OEM oil cooler rebuild (discussion point in Section 3, as to why I'm not planning the BPD kit at this time.)
--BPD EGR Cooler Upgrade unit.
--BPD 100mm Waterpump.
--BPD Aluminum tanked Radiator.
--New OEM gaskets for the EGR valve and Intake manifold.
--Clean the EGR valve.
--Clean the Intake manifold (depending on how things go, I may be able to get the ported manifold installed at this time)
--STC Fitting on the HPOP update.
--May address the dummy plugs and stand pipes at this point (need to see what is involved here, and check to see if it has already be done with the HGs.)
--Fleetrite or CAT EC-1 rated Coolant (4 gallons of full strength coolant)
--Synthetic motor oil (Rotella)
--New Coolant filter
--New Motorcraft Oil and Fuel Filters
This build allows to the solution of the EGR cooler, maintaining emissions compliance. Removal of the Ford Gold coolant, and the new oil cooler isn't getting clogged during the flush.

Ported Intake Manifold:
I was to be initially installing a Soot-Powered high-velocity ported Intake Manifold, or porting a core unit myself (still researching if this is even possible cost-effective option for me). The features I'm looking for are the remove the internal baffles, blockages, and dead spots in the manifold, and a diverter under the intake elbow to reduce the turbulence. The reason I'm looking to take this modification done before an intercooler, is I feel the manifold is a bigger restriction to air flow than the intercooler. I will also be able to get solid numbers on this modification with my turbo choice, including the airflow numbers and EGT drop. Here's some numbers on the Soot-Powered manifolds:
-Stage 3 (removes EGR components): 341 CFM
-Stage 2 (retains EGR components): 311 CFM
-Stage 1 (retains EGR components): 290 CFM (which is the route I'm going to be taking)

The selection of Intercoolers:
I'm shifting plans on the IC. The priority here is dropping EGTs by dropping intake temps, and keeping the thing in one piece. My stock unit at the moment is on borrowed time. To avoid loosing power by shifting to 3.5" IC pipes, and continue to use the full metal cold side pipe I've installed (OEM), I needed one that retains the factory fit. I found two from CSF Racing, and I'll be running their 7106 bar/plate unit that is about .75" thinker than stock, full aluminum construction and retains the stock IC pipes. I'll make sure I have a good write up on my results, I know a lot of guys are happy with the 6013 (tube and fin, OEM size). It is my intention to prove or disprove the gains to be made with this Intercooler, under stock and aftermarket programming. The test will include Boost, MAF, IAT, EGT and how the turbo responds to the new cooler.

Gooseneck Hitch and Supporting Modifications:
To date, I haven't needed to install a gooseneck hitch, however when that time comes here's my plan to install the hitch with all supporting modifications in the rear at once. The stock hitch, which is a Class V, 2.5" hitch - rated for 15,000# weight distributed, and 8,000# weight carrying, has held up well and I don't intend to replace it.
-B&W Turnover Gooseneck Hitch, rated for 30,000# with 7,500# tongue weight.

Transmission Upgrades:
The stock 5R110 TorqShift transmissions are very stout units under appropriate tuning (SCT files which addresses the transmission). These units can handle upto 550RWHP builds, so I'm not looking for a full out built transmission, until my stock unit fails completely due to mileage. I will be looking for a new torque-converter, though I haven't looked into the various options as of yet.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...cussion/1219857-questions-updating-5r110.html

Traction Bars
This weekend I'll be installing a set of One Up Offroad traction bars, these are already in hand. Not sure how much of a write up I'll do on these, instructions from OUO are on point, and it will take you some time of unpack these. Remarkable quality. I've been suffering from some significant axle wrap at any throttle input with the new turbo, these will lay that to rest. I'm also hopeful that some of my harder shifts may be smoothed out with everything in line where it should be.

Fuel System Upgrades:
Here is a large change from my original plans of remaining on stock injectors for life. I will continue my search for 500RWHP on stock injectors before the year is out, but I have decided that injectors will be getting an upgrade later down the road. I'll be running 190cc/Stock from Warren when the time comes. There are a number of reasons for this. 1) Stock nozzles will allow me to run OEM file without compremise. 2) The towing files I use, running near stock fueling parameters doesn't need to be re-written. 3) I simply don't have enough 'charger to justify 30% injectors (I'd venture toward 205 to maximise PW on 30% overs.) 4) I've kept up with multiple dyno threads. When nozzles are resized, low end power suffers. Think of how atomisation within the chamber. Stock nozzles provide the finest mist of fuel, and allow the best combustion.

Up in the higher RPMs the stock nozzles can't keep up the demand, and power suffers. I won't be out chasing 600HP+, but I'll be comfortably in the upper 500's. I'm intending to match these injectors with minimal change to the fuel system. If I can maintain fuel pressures with the stock fuel system, I won't install a regulated return. In the event that doesn't pan out, I'll build a regulated return to retain the factory secondary fuel filter and regulator. Regardless of that detail, I'll be refitting the tank with a pump out of a 6.7L Powerstroke which will provide more than enough fuel for the job, and be easy to replace later down the road.

I am not seeing any issues with my fuel delivery at this time, however I intend to push electronic tuning quite a bit more so the fuel system may require upgrading. This is still a subject I'm just getting into and will be coming up with a full plan. I will be updating this thread accordingly.

Retrofitting the Wide-Track Front end:
This is a lofty goal of mine, that will be very dependent on my finding the right axle at the right time, and have the means to complete the job. There are two truck platforms that came with this front axle:
-'08-'10 F350 'Fatboy' packaged trucks
-'11+ F450 Pickups now that Ford was dropped the axles down from C&C trucks.

Specifics:
Stock Front Axle: Dana 60 GAWR 5,600# 8x200mm bolt pattern 38* knuckles.
'05+ F450 Front Axle: ~3" wider Dana Super 60 GAWR 5,800# 8x200mm bolt pattern 45* knuckles.

Some additional details here, I've been looking for the appropriate axle. Any F450/F550 front 4x4 axle should be able to work, with a complete hub and brake swap over to the donor, keeping hub to hub stock. These are a little different in the differential, about a .25" difference in the ring gear, and minor change to the pinion from what I've found. As soon as I can get a hold of a funtional, 4.30 geared front axle and steering linkages, I'm ready to pull the trigger on this. It has been a long search, and I want to do a complete write up here as well.

Reason for this swap is purely to decrease the turning radius of this truck about 6 ft (from 56ft to ~50ft).
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/su...-track-front-end-onto-my-07-f350-towboss.html

#3 · (Edited)
Section 3: Dedicated to the why I am taking the route I did, and discussion points for these modifications.

How I monitor my TowBoss:
First reason for running both the Edge Insight and Autometer Gauges, I want as much information as I can get, hardwired in the cab. I have what I consider the core indications for towing covered on aftermarket gauges, EGT, Trans. Temp., Fuel Press., Oil Press., and Voltmeter. The Boost gauge on the dash is more than accurate enough for my needs, but the transmission temp on the dash, is an idiot light at best. The reasoning for not including ECT/EOT in those clusters, is the simplicity of running those two off the Insight.

Normal Driving, here's my Insight:
IAT; Boost
Eng. Load; ICP Press.; Injector PW
ECT; EOT; FICM Voltage

Towing, my display:
VGT Duty Cycle; Gear & TCC
Eng. Load; ICP Press.; Trans Temp
ECT; EOT; FICM Voltage

If I was running an Insight-only setup:
Boost; EGT
Fuel Press.; ICP Press; Trans Temp
ECT; EOT; FICM Voltage

This setup has worked well in the past for me allowing me to have data on the improvements made with each modification. I have had a couple of smaller issues come up, that if allowed to continue unnoticed, it may have left me stranded somewhere. No matter what system you use to monitor the 6.0L PSD, trust your indications, and repair the smaller symptoms before they cascade into a nightmare repair that you either don't have the time to fix, or don't have the funding to fix.

On Edit: Looks like I will be adding a new Boost Gauge with the Turbocharger.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...sion/192210-attention-edge-insight-users.html

FICM Tuning Files, and the draw backs of high HP files:
FICM tuning is relatively new to the 6.0L PSD. One has the option to either send their unit into a shop for a rebuild and tune, or purchase the aftermarket FICM tuners for their own. It is important to mention though, that you match this output level to your SCT files or Stock programming. These files are normally referenced to their HP level over stock ([PHP name/IDP name] Economy/Mild ~ 25HP, Atlas40/Moderate ~40 HP, Atlas80/Extreme ~ 80, Hercules/Not-offered by IDP ~100HP.) From what I have gathered from various tuners via e-mail, and multiple threads on the ORG and other forums, you normally see ~+20-+30RWHP with any of these files when combined with SCT tuning. Therefore on the tuning is combined there are variables that cancel each other out. Also the tuners inform me that the lower HP files provide much of the low - to - mid RPM range benefits, while providing a smoother power band compared to the higher HP files.

I have a theory, and I stress that it is a theory, that when the MTW trucks were testing with the heavy fueling Hercules file, the trucks were actually held back. (I have no agreement with the MTW testers to work to prove or disprove this theory.) I realize these first trucks ran tunes not written for the turbos in question. First the SCT files were not written for the incorporation of the FICM file (or may have required additional refinement). Second, the fuel systems may not have been able to keep up with the demand in the upper power band (again I don't have the numbers to prove or disprove this statement). The Transmissions, were not tuned to handle the power levels being put down, which once in forth (fifth) gear it may not matter other than TC lockup. I have noticed a few owners running the Hercules file, who shifted to the Atlas80, state the truck simply ran better.

All of this may be the sum of the differences within the SCT and FICM files, fuel delivery, individual tuning files, and the trucks acting a little different themselves.

Goals for Breaking 500RWHP with stock Injectors:
Yes, I'm crazy enough to think that this is very achievable on my build. I'll explain when the opportunity presents itself.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...sion/264140-goal-500rwhp-towboss-f-350-a.html
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...424-expectations-live-tuning.html#post3204168

Why I'm not installing an External Oil Cooler:
NOTE: This is not in any way to be taken as a bash against the hard work of the guys at BPD. Their products are second-to-none in the 6.0L aftermarket in providing real world solutions to the shortfalls of this Powerstroke, and they have my respect for doing so. Currently their system doesn't work for my application, but they are taking action on that prescribed below.

I do have my reasons for not running this air-to-liquid cooler at this time, though I fully agree it is the complete answer to the oil cooler for 90% of the 6.0L PSD crowd out there. For those running 3.73 gears (or equivalent after lift and tires) or those using 4.10s at lower altitudes this system definitely works, and works well. However, and BPD will confirm this if asked they are a honest bunch of guys, the lower geared F350s, along with the F450/550 trucks don't see the benifits of this cooler as its currently manufactured. (I will get to the answers to solve this below). I'll explain what I mean:

Truck --------- Tire ---- Gear ---- Speed -- RPMs -- Oil (gpm) -- Coolant (gpm) -- Ratio
F250/350SRW - ~33.1" - 3.73:1 - @65mph - 1730 --- 9.698 ----- 39.160 -------- 1:3.72
F350 DRW ---- ~ 31.7" - 4.10:1 - @65mph - 2005 -- 11.240 ---- 45.385 --------- 1:3.72
F350 TB DRW - ~ 31.7" - 4.30:1 - @65mph - 2103 -- 11.789 ---- 47.604 --------- 1:3.72
F450 C&C ----- ~30.2" - 4.30:1 - @65mph - 2120 -- 11.884 ---- 47.989 --------- 1:3.72
F550 C&C ----- ~30.2" - 4.88:1 - @65mph - 2406 -- 13.488 ---- 54.463 --------- 1:3.72
[Figures based on stock tire sizes noted for these trucks, Oil Pump rating 18.5 gpm @ 3300RPM, Water Pump rating 74.7 gpm @3300RPM, assumes no drive loss]

The current external oil cooler by BPD measures 21"x6"x3" roughly, which allows for 5005CFM @65mph, and 3465CFM @45mph (assuming simliar RPMS in 4th(5th-1.0:1) ratio - every truck above would be within 50RPMs of their 65mph figures):

Truck ---------Speed --- Oil (gpm) -- Air(cfm):Oil(gpm) --Speed --- Air(cfm):Oil(gpm) -- Efficiency % (Comp. 3.73:1)
F250/350SRW - @65mph - 9.698 --------- 516:1 ------- @45mph ------ 357:1 ------------- 100%
F350 DRW ---- @65mph - 11.240 -------- 445:1 ------- @45mph ------ 308:1 ------------- 84.5%
F350 TB DRW - @65mph - 11.789 -------- 424:1 ------- @45mph ------ 294:1 ------------- 80.6%
F450 C&C ----- @65mph - 11.884 -------- 421:1 ------ @45mph ------ 291:1 ------------- 79.9%
F550 C&C ----- @65mph - 13.488 -------- 371:1 ------ @45mph ------ 257:1 ------------- 70.5%
[Figures based on a number of generalizations, not real world data or lab testing, does not factor in Fan running in the truck.]

When you factor altitude into the mixture, you see quickly that this is not the best option for my build.
Denisty --- Torr -- Percentage
Sea Level - 760 -- 100%
3,000 ft -- 681 -- 89.6%
6,000 ft -- 609 -- 80.1%
9,000 ft -- 543 -- 71.4%
12,000 ft - 483 -- 63.5%
15,000 ft - 429 -- 56.4%
[Again rough figures]

Solutions from BPD on this matter: 1) The use of an SCT programmer to engage the fan clutch via 220* EOT, vise factory setting of ECT.
2) BPD is taking action in the R&D of two newer coolers, both larger in capacity, to overcome this lack of efficiency in the lower geared trucks.
The kit works well, but would require aftermarket tuning for my application, which is something I'm trying to avoid
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...93-air-cooled-vs-fluid-cooled-oil-cooler.html

Ported Intake Manifold vs. Intercooler:
Same philosophy as the external oil cooler modification. It concerns the speed I can get the air flowing through the intake manifold, vs. the amount of cooling I'll pick up with an Intercooler. I'm expecting the application of airflow through the manifold, will prove more effective than the Intercooler will, particularly at the higher altitudes. So I intend to improve the airflow through the manifold, which we can agree is the most restrictive point in this motor for airflow. That restriction is followed by the ports on the heads themselves. Upgrading the Intake Manifold, prior to the Intercooler, should accomplish two goals. The first, is to provide the community solid numbers on the improvement of this upgrade alone vs. stock. The other, lower my IAT and EGT by the application of the additional air flow, the added bonus is even airflow through all cylinders.

Absence of a Water / Methanol Injection System:
I don't doubt the benefits of the modern systems of Water/Meth Injection on the market. Depending on the mixture used, one can see anything from +50HP to a 200* drop in EGTs and chamber pressures. My concern of course is a hydrolock condition resulting from either a failure of a component, or electronic controller. I realize the risk in minimal, with the reliability of modern solenoids, controllers, and check-valves, but for the moment I don't intend to take this route with this build.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...on/263196-water-meth-injection-pros-cons.html

#4 · (Edited)
Engine Overhaul:
So, I'm over 100K now and would like to think I'm not anywhere near needing an overhaul on this motor. But lets be real, I'm still running an OEM EGR cooler, and I didn't have quality control over getting the heads machined the last time it was done (Ford Warranty but I started modding). So this could easily bite me here, so here's the plan:

Colt Stage 2 Cams
Thumper HPOP
Upgraded valve train to match the Stage 2 Cam.
Ford OEM Overhaul kit, .020" overbore pistons fly cutting not required.
Engine completely decked, blueprinted and verified.
Heads completely decked, O-ringed, and magnafluxed. Mild Porting may happen here, but I doubt I'd see the benefit at my power level.
OEM gaskets all around.
Bellowed Up Pipes, and verify pressure is held on the exhaust manifolds.

I think with all that ground work, this will continue to serve my family well for at least another decade.

For the ORG:
Definitely a long way from being done with this build. Any questions, or comments feel free to post up on this thread, or shoot me a PM and I'll be sure to get back to you.

This thread is still a work in progress.

#5 ·
Are you going to be installing and coolant or oil bypass filters on this beast?
How about FASS or Airdog fuel pumps?

After all, you are after reliability and longevity, right?

#6 · (Edited)
I still have quite a bit to fill in, I do have a coolant filter on her just haven't gotten it into the thread yet.

As for fueling, I'm running good pressures right now, but I am researching my various options. I want to see what I get with the new turbo and files, and see how much of a demand is being placed on the system.

#7 ·
Good thread Benjamin!:thumb:

#8 ·
Alright, I've put considerably more information in this thread since this morning.

Section 1 is complete, minus the photos and threads to be linked.

I still have the following to discuss in Section 2
-FICM upgrade
-Intercooler
-Towing hardware
-Transmission
-Fuel System

And of course, Section 3 has a lot of work ahead of it.

#9 ·
Great thread for those of us concerned with towing!

Does the Tow Boss package have the optional Snow plow HD clutch fan??

My bearings in my standard clutch fan are on there way out, just ordered the Snow plow clutch fan. The idea of the snow plow fan is to allow more air flow at lower RPM, which in theory will help when towing in slow moving traffic to help keep motor temps down.

I can provide data logging with my AE of before and after temps and FSS. Unfortunately I won't be able to get data logs with/without the camper hooked up, only readings of a unloaded truck with 4:10 gear and a weight of 8k.

#11 · (Edited)
To my knowledge, no it doesn't have the Snow plow package's clutch fan, but it is something to look into. I'll get back with what I can find out.

For the data logs, I'd be interested to see the differences in temps, and may have to install one on this truck if it proves to make a difference.

Upon Edit: The TowBoss package didn't apply the different clutch to the truck, that was the snow plow package itself. From what I see, its only to compensate for the lack of airflow through due to a plow in front of the truck. Depending on what you see in the data logs, it may end up on the truck, particularly with the high-altitudes I'm building for.

#10 ·
Benjamin this is going to be just what I thought it would be, and that is another great piece of info for us to draw from.

Rich the theory is good lets find out.

#12 ·
Very interesting, I'm leaning lots. Like I knew I would :thumb: Great thread, colo_dually :)

#13 ·
Thanks partner, :thumb:

I have added a considerable amount on information. Section 2 is pretty well covered as to where I'm taking this build.

Section 3 is taking time, as we all know it would.

Anything y'all would like to know more, just let me know.

On Edit: Added a few discussion points into Section 3.

#14 ·
Not to turn this into an argument, but I have gotten all my figures on the External Oil Cooler that I intend to share:

Why I'm not installing an External Oil Cooler:
NOTE: This is not in any way to be taken as a bash against the hard work of the guys at BPD. Their products are second-to-none in the 6.0L aftermarket in providing real world solutions to the shortfalls of this Powerstroke, and they have my respect for doing so. Currently their system doesn't work for my application, but they are taking action on that prescribed below.

I do have my reasons for not running this air-to-liquid cooler at this time, though I fully agree it is the complete answer to the oil cooler for 90% of the 6.0L PSD crowd out there. For those running 3.73 gears (or equivalent after lift and tires) or those using 4.10s at lower altitudes this system definitely works, and works well. However, and BPD will confirm this if asked they are a honest bunch of guys, the lower geared F350s, along with the F450/550 trucks don't see the benifits of this cooler as its currently manufactured. (I will get to the answers to solve this below). I'll explain what I mean:

Truck --------- Tire ---- Gear ---- Speed -- RPMs -- Oil (gpm) -- Coolant (gpm) -- Ratio
F250/350SRW - ~33.1" - 3.73:1 - @65mph - 1730 --- 9.698 ----- 39.160 -------- 1:3.72
F350 DRW ---- ~ 31.7" - 4.10:1 - @65mph - 2005 -- 11.240 ---- 45.385 --------- 1:3.72
F350 TB DRW - ~ 31.7" - 4.30:1 - @65mph - 2103 -- 11.789 ---- 47.604 --------- 1:3.72
F450 C&C ----- ~30.2" - 4.30:1 - @65mph - 2120 -- 11.884 ---- 47.989 --------- 1:3.72
F550 C&C ----- ~30.2" - 4.88:1 - @65mph - 2406 -- 13.488 ---- 54.463 --------- 1:3.72
[Figures based on stock tire sizes noted for these trucks, Oil Pump rating 18.5 gpm @ 3300RPM, Water Pump rating 74.7 gpm @3300RPM, assumes no drive loss]

The current external oil cooler by BPD measures 21"x6"x3" roughly, which allows for 5005CFM @65mph, and 3465CFM @45mph (assuming simliar RPMS in 4th(5th-1.0:1) ratio - every truck above would be within 50RPMs of their 65mph figures):

Truck ---------Speed --- Oil (gpm) -- Air(cfm):Oil(gpm) --Speed --- Air(cfm):Oil(gpm) -- Efficiency % (Comp. 3.73:1)
F250/350SRW - @65mph - 9.698 --------- 516:1 ------- @45mph ------ 357:1 ------------- 100%
F350 DRW ---- @65mph - 11.240 -------- 445:1 ------- @45mph ------ 308:1 ------------- 84.5%
F350 TB DRW - @65mph - 11.789 -------- 424:1 ------- @45mph ------ 294:1 ------------- 80.6%
F450 C&C ----- @65mph - 11.884 -------- 421:1 ------ @45mph ------ 291:1 ------------- 79.9%
F550 C&C ----- @65mph - 13.488 -------- 371:1 ------ @45mph ------ 257:1 ------------- 70.5%
[Figures based on a number of generalizations, not real world data or lab testing, does not factor in Fan running in the truck.]

When you factor altitude into the mixture, you see quickly that this is not the best option for my build.
Denisty --- Torr -- Percentage
Sea Level - 760 -- 100%
3,000 ft -- 681 -- 89.6%
6,000 ft -- 609 -- 80.1%
9,000 ft -- 543 -- 71.4%
12,000 ft - 483 -- 63.5%
15,000 ft - 429 -- 56.4%
[Again rough figures]

Solutions from BPD on this matter: 1) The use of an SCT programmer to engage the fan clutch via 220* EOT, vise factory setting of ECT.
2) BPD is taking action in the R&D of two newer coolers, both larger in capacity, to overcome this lack of efficiency in the lower geared trucks.
The kit works well, but would require aftermarket tuning for my application, which is something I'm trying to avoid
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...93-air-cooled-vs-fluid-cooled-oil-cooler.html
I have appended this into the third section of this thread. If someone has better, real world numbers on the matter, I'm open minded and will adjust the postings accordingly.

#19 ·
I would think the clutch itself would fit fine on the F450/550 trucks, because the same fan blades are used.

I appreciate this data point, do me a favor post up a link in this thread when you get it together, Lilpooh.

This would be a good point for the testing of BPD's new oil coolers, and may get those guys closer to the solution they are looking for.

#21 ·
I was talking to Ken at BPD today about oil temps and a few other things and he mentioned that they had tested the heavy duty fan clutch with no noticeable change in temps.
I don't know if that was the "snow plow package" fan clutch (but most likely is) and I don't think it was tested on a truck with the lower gearing.

(NOTE: I realize this topic is of constant conversation right now, just giving these questions a little more attention.)

Does anyone have a diagram of the various internals on the three manifolds?

I'm looking to find out the passages and how the manifold is put together so I can knowledgeably cut into an '05-'07, port it, and maintain the emissions passages. If that makes since. Let me know what information y'all have.

I'd like to have the entirety of the internals if possible. EGR portion and passages, as to understand the airflow of that, and the blockages of the runners and near the elbow to see exactly how I want to modify it.

Not sure anyone would have exactly what I'm looking for. Most of the pictures I've seen don't answer my questions about the airflow around the EGR components, as most aftermarket manifolds straight cut those sections out.

Every time I look at these units, the more I want to do this modification myself. Though I don't have a place or the skill to weld it back together, yet.

I'm open to suggestions, and information on the subject.
I have a 2006 intake sitting in the garage that I might sell.
I can try to take some close up photos, maybe shine a flashlight inside for some pics and see what kind of detail I can pick up. The coolant return port from the EGR cooler going through the intake back to the water pump cover is pretty straight forward. The EGR stuff inside the intake will be harder to make out.

#20 · (Edited)
(NOTE: I realize this topic is of constant conversation right now, just giving these questions a little more attention.)

Does anyone have a diagram of the various internals on the three manifolds?

I'm looking to find out the passages and how the manifold is put together so I can knowledgeably cut into an '05-'07, port it, and maintain the emissions passages. If that makes since. Let me know what information y'all have.

I'd like to have the entirety of the internals if possible. EGR portion and passages, as to understand the airflow of that, and the blockages of the runners and near the elbow to see exactly how I want to modify it.

Not sure anyone would have exactly what I'm looking for. Most of the pictures I've seen don't answer my questions about the airflow around the EGR components, as most aftermarket manifolds straight cut those sections out.

Every time I look at these units, the more I want to do this modification myself. Though I don't have a place or the skill to weld it back together, yet.

I'm open to suggestions, and information on the subject.

#23 ·
Finally got a chance to read over all this stuff. Wow. I always learn so much when I read all of your stuff. I'm definitely going to stick around and take notes for what I want to do to my truck as mentioned else where.

#24 ·
For informative purposes, the turbocharger is no longer in the air. I will be attaining a MTW Hybrid (64.7x88mm .58A/R 13 Blade) for the purpose of this build. I'll be having a couple of additional options incorperated, and I will disclose those after the turbo is installed.

#25 ·
Ben I've been following that thread also, I believe it is going to be the best choice also... can't wait to see what you had him do to it????

#27 ·
Great info, I have a 550 and would like to think the BPD oil cooler is helping. definitely interested in what they will do as maybe an upgrade for the 450s and 550s....

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

#28 ·
The current solution is adjust tuning via an SCT tuner, shifting Fan Clutch Engagement off of EOT.

The BPD guys are going to be testing two different larger coolers, one taller, and the other thicker. Depending on what the results are, will determine which cooler they will offer. They will most likely solve the issue as I see the numbers with the 4.10 and 4.30 geared trucks, but the 4.88s may be another story. We'll see what BPD's actual testing shows when they reach a decision.

#29 ·
Update: The turbo is on hold for the time being.

Due to some issue with the initial test trucks, Adrian has decided to hold off further production of the MTW Hybrid until he gets it figured out. This is a big set back to my build's timeframe, but not the end result.

I do with Adrian the best of luck figuring this out, and support his decision on this matter.

#30 ·
Colo_Dually
Nice write up. We did the BPD upgrade in the spring of '11 and absolutely love it. We pull a 35ft fifth wheel. The truck and trailer combo weighs about 20K. Prior to the upgrade we pulled the hill from Buffalo WY to Yellowstone. The temp was around 40. At the peak running 2500 RPM, we were doing 37 mph. This past summer we did a SW camping trip and our last stop was Breckenridge CO. Pulling the hill to Eisenhower Tunnel running the same 2500 RPM we ran 48 mph. Our fuel mileage is also up about 1mpg pulling the trailer. The only change was the only oil and egr cooler.
One of the upgrades that we are looking at is a Cowl hood. Based on research we figure that we drop the engine temp 3-5 degrees in the summer. Based on all your research have you consider this?

#31 ·
The BPD EGR cooler, is being installed the next time I tear down for an Oil Cooler.
The BPD FICM upgrade, is going to be installed at the first sign of FICM failure in my stock unit.
The BPD External Oil Cooler, however, is not the path I'm taking for this truck at the moment. Due to my gearing, and speaking to the reps, its not balanced for my application. However, BPD is testing new larger coolers, and should that prove successful, I will add it to the list.

On the subject of hoods, I don't see the cost justified for a minimal drop in under the hood temps with a cowl style hood. I can take that cost, and invest it in other better EGT controlling upgrades. As for ram-air style hoods, none are on the market that retain the stock air box/filter, so I will not be installing one of those.

Trust that answers your question, any thing else let me know.

#32 ·
Thanks for the quick response and understand your answers. The reason I am concerned about the temperature is pulling especially in the summer the temp jumps up. It was 104 in KS and we had a headwind. We kept the water temp around 203. At 205 the fan locks up and we tried to avoid this. Instead of running our normal 73-75mph we slowed down to 68mph but so did everyone else. Have 3-5 extra degrees could mean 5 + mph and when you are traveling 800 miles in a day this adds up.

Attachments

#34 ·
#35 ·
So its been quite a while since the thread was last updated, but I'm curious to see what has been done in the past few years. Do you still have the truck?:look:

#36 ·
I still own the TowBoss. :thumb:

About a year ago when I was ready to pull the trigger on a turbo, things got crazy. Both in my own life returning to an operational unit and with the turbo shops. So a year later I'm still running the stock turbo. I am most likely going the route of a DIY turbo clean and modify, and pretty sure where I'll end up size wise. That will be the next big step with this build. And I'll be walking the ORG through that process each step of the way.

The Oil Cooler done at 62K, is still within comfortable deltas at 92K and counting. That tear down isn't being rushed into, mainly due to I'm also wanting a ported intake manifold to be installed when I tear into it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.