IPR Remote Oil Cooler Relocation write up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 10:33 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IPR Remote Oil Cooler Relocation write up

I just finished installing IPR's remote oil cooler relocation kit. It utilizes a factory oil cooler mounted next to the passenger side battery tray. It maintains factory coolant and oil paths, gives you a larger oil filter and utilizes a 100% coolant filter in front of the OEM relocated oil cooler. If future replacement of the oil cooler is needed, it will only take about an hour to remove and replace the cooler instead of disassembling the engine compartment down to the block and heads.

The kit includes every gasket, hose clamp, hose, o ring, and filter necessary to complete the install. All that is needed is some teflon tape for the included fittings.

The test truck is a 2004 F350 lwb srw 6.0 diesel with 140k miles that is stock except for wider all terrain tires (285s). No oil cooler failure occurred, but the deltas were running 30 degrees prior to installation. The radiator was recently replaced along with an EGR cooler also from IPR(straight thru SS tube design) and thermostat. A VC9 flush was also performed and Rotella ELC coolant was installed after deionized water flushes.

Install of the kit was straight forward. Fitment of parts was perfect. The only added time for the replacement was to run oil and coolant lines, install the new stand tube, and mount the cooler in the new location utilizing a bracket or the exsisting holes for the new oil cooler next to the passenger battery. A pass thru manifold is bolted in the original oil cooler location and a new oil filter lid is installed for the oil line connections. The oil system still includes bypasses for filter and cooler differential relief valves. The oil and coolant lines are all 3/4 with 3/4 inch NPT fittings.

A little additional oil and coolant capacity is necessary with this kit due to relocation lines. A special billet oil cooler fitting maintains factory coolant paths. No cutting or splicing of the factory coolant hoses is necessary.

After installation, no leaks were found and system was working perfectly with 3-4 degrees delta (65mph, 15 minutes, flat ground after at operating temp)(EOT 195/ECT192). After about 500 miles, my oil cooler delta was 15 degrees. My coolant temp did not really change, it was the oil temp that started to creep up. I removed the coolant filter and found lots of flaky white debris in the filter. I cleaned and reinstalled the filter. Oil cooler temps went back down to the 3-4 degree delta.

The system works as good as the factory system and better. I didn't have to change an oil cooler after just replacing one. I call this a big success. I didn't need another oil cooler installed $$$. If I did, installation would only take an hour or so. The activity becomes much more reasonable and cheaper than it would have been. No factory oil cooler gasket kit, turbo gaskets, or intake manifold gaskets needed, along with the greatly reduced labor cost. All coolant and oil lines are kept inside the engine compartment and do not route through the fender wells or travel in front of the core support.

Unloaded tests are good, but I wanted to see how this kit would do with a load. I towed a 40ft Open Road 5th wheel (2005 model 396rdds) with 4 slide outs (12,480lbs unloaded, @13,000lbs loaded like I had it). At 65mph level ground steady state, my oil cooler delta was 6-7 degrees (EOT 214/ECT 208). I even pulled it at 75mph on rolling hills between San Antonio and Beaumont Texas. At times the coolant temp got up to 219, but the oil temperature never went over 10 degrees hotter.

Overall, I think this kit is a very good upgrade for the 6.0. It maintains OEM part and system specifications. It costs less than other alternatives. It does not add much if any time to an oil cooler install. If a cooler replacement is needed in the future, then installation is a breeze. And the best part is, there is a filter in front of the cooler that protects your investment and cleans your system as you drive. I would have already needed a new cooler after all of the flushing and replacement of parts and I keep the stock design. Thank you IPR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 10:42 AM

This sounds like a good system. My deltas are running around 15-19. It's about time for a replacement. What was the overall cost?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 07-19-2012, 11:26 AM

IPR Research has prices and phone # on their website. I am very pleased with the kit.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

IPR Oil Cooler

Pretty happy with the install as well. Inline filter gets full of sand and trash pretty quickly. Good kit.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Killing me... Vince has had my truck getting studed and all this and more on for a couple weeks now... dying to get it back. So the collant filter is right before where it enters the Oil cooler? That's awesome.. Know you have a dirty filter when the oil temp goes up!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Good write up, thanks for posting it. Glad to hear it is working well and you are happy with the kit.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:16 AM

The best part is all you have to do is clean a filter and not change an expensive cooler.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:25 AM

Here are the pics.

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/...2/882ff4fe.jpg

Parts

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/...2/2c738523.jpg

oil filter and stand tube

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/...2/a9a797ab.jpg

Oil filter lid installed

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/...2/fcadb705.jpg

oil line routing

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/...2/3dcca294.jpg

Coolant line connection points. Filter is installed inline on oil cooler coolant line inlet hose

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/...2/95f7bb75.jpg

65 mph unloaded flat ground test

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/...2/aa0a224f.jpg

65 mph flat ground towing 13000+ lb 40ft 5th wheel

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/...2/4dd108c8.jpg

75 mph uphill towing 13000+ lb 40ft 5th wheel
Old 07-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Premium Member

Question. How do you Change the oil filter? It looks like you have to remove the oil lines to get to the oil filter.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:01 AM

Yes. Just remove oil lines with a small rag and unscrew lid. Not much oil loss because lines run downhill to the oil cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.