Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Bad water pump?

9K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  rentstdi 
#1 · (Edited)
What are some signs of a bad/going out water pump? The reason I ask is because I am running a little hot In the 205 range unloaded with the air temps at around 100. So I took the thermostat out and after running for around an hour I am getting it the 190-195 range EOT stays within 10 degrees weather it goes up or down.

#2 ·
Here is a quote from one of our members who had it happen to him. His coolant temps seemed to go up quite a bit more than yours, though. Yours sounds more like a bad t-stat if you took it out and temps are now in the "good" range...

I went to pass some idiot driving slow while he was on the phone. Smashed the skinny pedal to the floor, the truck downshifted hard and took off. Going down the road, my ECT would climb up to 230* then back down to 190*. The temp cycled up/down like that every 2 minutes. I went an trouble shoot the system, and when I pulled the pump I saw the carnage! That pump was only a couple of months old when it happened.

#3 ·
makes a man want to get a BPD water pump.

#6 ·
That's true enough.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#8 ·
Just put a factory one in. Total waste of money for a bpd one in my opinion. My water pump has 143k on it and no issues. When it goes, I'll put a factory one back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

#9 ·
Thank you, just because you can afford to buy something dosnt justify doing so. $100 for a w/p that could last you 100k miles or $400 for on that could last longer...all Im askin is it worth it.

#10 ·
it has non plastic blades
it's rebuildable = last forever

the reason they don't just add a billet impeller /bearings to a an existing casting
is they were getting castings with huge amounts of casting quality fluctuations and they could not feel comfortable letting those go out their door so they make their own .

yes NAPA has a stamped steel impeller but I have read to many threads where people had to do them twice do to failure .. I only want to go in there once

#11 ·
It's rebuildable = DOESN'T last forever.

:D

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

#12 ·
Have you tried cleaning your radiator fins? Might just be road grime/bug build up.

I'm running BPD first style water pump, no issues so far.

#13 ·
190-195 is normal.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#14 ·
It's my understanding the BPD one pumps a little bit more. Personally the next time I tear into my engine I'll put the 100mm front cover that's sitting on my parts pile on along with the BPD pump and heck may do something nutty like run Evans coolant just for giggles.

#15 ·
What are you temps at your radiator? Take readings above and below on the tanks of the radiator. You should have 20-30 degree difference at operating temperature.

This came From a phone that makes it's own words

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.