Which 6.0? Studded 03 vs ... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which 6.0? Studded 03 vs ...

On the hunt for a 6.0. Price cap around $14k. Which will be better and last longer.
2003 6.0 with 200k, ARP studs, EGR delete, SCT, VVT and high idle switches.
Or
Around 05-07 stock 6.0. And I'll put SCT, exhaust, gauges, but won't have money to stud it.
??? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you wont have money for repairs like oil cooler/studs this 6.0 isnt for your, just my opinion.

Must you have one I would buy an 05-up as I like the interior better and get gauges on it before you buy and go from there. I would skip the SCT and exhaust and put that money aside for your stud/oil cooler/egr job. Again just my opinion.

I just got everything done to mine though and today was my first day with vivians looney tune and holy **** you will never drive a gasser again. LOL!

Good luck!

Todd
Old 07-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Haha damn thats what I like to hear. Yea I would much rather have an 05+. The 03 already studded might be beat on a little more with it having 200k for an 03, and it might have a good bit of stop and go driving also. But y'all think since it is studded and deleted its basically bulletproof to at least 300k. I'll be watching egt like a hawk. thanks

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
Old 07-18-2012, 10:35 AM

Watching EGT is really moot with the 6.0 - you really want to watch EOT and ECT. I would buy a monitor FIRST before you buy it and take it for a drive.

I HIGHLY suggest you take a minute to read a few of the sticky posts on what to look for when buying a 6.0 - there is NO TELLING if the truck will last to any sort of mileage before a failure, these motors REQUIRE maintenance and if it wasnt kept up it will most likely give you problems the second you buy it.

Good luck!!

Todd
Old 07-18-2012, 11:26 AM

youll be hard pressed to find an 05-07 with out 200k on it for under 14K depending on cab configuration.

best bet is to do alot of research but i wouldnt rule out the 03 if its been looked after. my early 04 has 180k on it. save yourself about 500 bucks for a good monitor no matter which way you go.

05-07 pros would be coil sprung front end, bigger brakes, better dash. but you can swap all that to the 03-04. i already have the 05-07 interior just need to do an axle swap
Old 07-18-2012, 11:49 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How long has the stud job been done?? If not done right it could still give you problems. I would get a scan guage 2 before you buy and use it when you test drive to look at FICM voltage and ECT vs. EOT if you are allowed to drive it that long. I would buy the 05 up if the motor hasnt been opened up and everything is in check. I just hate buying things other people have worked on and you dont know what level of craftmans ship they had. Dustin
Old 07-18-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by white59rt View Post
If you wont have money for repairs like oil cooler/studs this 6.0 isnt for your, just my opinion.

Must you have one I would buy an 05-up as I like the interior better and get gauges on it before you buy and go from there. I would skip the SCT and exhaust and put that money aside for your stud/oil cooler/egr job. Again just my opinion.

I just got everything done to mine though and today was my first day with vivians looney tune and holy **** you will never drive a gasser again. LOL!Todd
I want to see what that feels like!

I did exactly that wtih my 05. I planned on buying one and then selling my daily driver to get it bullet proofed, but got lucky and found one already done for $21,500. It had 94k on it, but is SUPER clean! The buttons on the interior don't even have the white worn off on them, other than the cruise control buttons. Paint is great, wheels and tires are perfect. I'm stoked to own it. I was able to put the Yaris money in the bank.

I did the CTS up front, but do need to install the EGT sensor. Deltas are great (2-5, usually), but the truck does feel slow. I'd like to do a tune next.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:21 PM

personally id get the one thats studded, i really think if your running tuning...the gaskets are going to blow no matter what you do. Granted how you drive it plays a HUGE factor and whose tuning you choose is also a big factor. I know i raced the hell out of mine, so i cant really complain about having to stud my truck. But to me, that peace of mind is worth it, and work towards inj/turbo if its already studded!
Old 07-18-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agjake11 View Post
youll be hard pressed to find an 05-07 with out 200k on it for under 14K depending on cab configuration.

best bet is to do alot of research but i wouldnt rule out the 03 if its been looked after. my early 04 has 180k on it. save yourself about 500 bucks for a good monitor no matter which way you go.

05-07 pros would be coil sprung front end, bigger brakes, better dash. but you can swap all that to the 03-04. i already have the 05-07 interior just need to do an axle swap
not true, they are out there you just have to find them. Also to other posts if everything is in order like temps and FICM voltage I dont see any reason why you couldnt run and sct/exhaust/gauges. Many of us run custom tunes(non studded) and are doing fine and some even run studded tunes with headbolts. Being an educated buyer is the most important part. I bought my truck because the insight readings were in check, I went with my friend to get is 2005 6.0 brought my insight temps were off and truck was rode hard and put up wet. Had problems within a week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.