Updated turbo drain tube an feed line? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Updated turbo drain tube an feed line?

Who has done this ? Easy? And how
Long it take?

Also does the need to be done ASAP or what

Thanks alot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Air Assault!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MPTonyT
I have the parts in the garage waiting for me to have sometime to do my EGR Delete and updated pipes. If your just doing those i would think it should take more than two hours. It all depends how fast you can get the turbo out as to how long it will actually take. Physically replacing the tubes doesn't take long at all. The time consuming part is removing the turbo.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Changing out the oil feed tube is a 15 min job.
To install the updated oil drain pipe you have to remove the turbo or at least disconnect everything from the turbo in order to raise it up high enough to be able to remove the drain pipe.
Normally you do these 2 things when you are having some other work done that requires the turbo be removed.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:47 AM

Ah i c I c should these be replaced on all the older 6.0 or what?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:09 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerb05 View Post
Ah i c I c should these be replaced on all the older 6.0 or what?
Yep, but as stated above, you can wait until your doing something else that requires that the turbo be removed.
I see by your signature that you have an '03. This job may not be as simple (or cheap) for you. The drain tube will still be an easy swap, since that did not change....but the oil line may not be as easy/cheap.

The early release '03 has a different oil cooler cover and different turbo oil supply line. The difference is how the oil line connects to the oil cooler cover. The newer style line attaches to the oil cooler cover by a collar that is around the line and this collar is screwed to the oil cooler cover.
The older style line is a snap-to-connect style fitting, and appears as though there is a large nut at the line connection to the oil cooler cover.
Below is a pic of the early '03 style. If this is what you have, you would best be served by waiting until you need a new oil cooler installed, since you would need to change the oil cooler cover to use the new style turbo oil supply line.

as an edit: amdriven2liv's post below has a link showing the new style line. Note the difference at how it connects to the oil cooler cover.

Last edited by NYC F-350; 07-17-2012 at 10:13 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to NYC F-350 For This Useful Post:
ryaninman (01-20-2014)
Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Premium Member

Edit:^^^^^^^beat me to the thought, and great shot of the connection.

If I recall, the 03 trucks have a different connection on the feed tube. Make sure you get the correct one. Check out the connection at the bottom of this photo.

6.0L Turbo Oil Feed Line

NOTE: This kit does NOT fit 2003 or early 2004 trucks. The early trucks had a different type of connection at the base of the Feed Tube. There is a kit to update the early style setup to use the later feed tube, but it involves changing the oil cooler cover plate and is significantly more expensive. Please call us if this is something you are interested in doing.

I can't find the 03 part number yet.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 AM

Thanks guys
Old 07-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
If you end up needing to change to the newer style oil cooler cover...
I still have one that I removed from my '06 when I installed the BPD oil cooler.
I would make someone a good deal on it.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:07 PM

Mine was the earlier 03
Old 01-20-2014, 07:55 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Yep, but as stated above, you can wait until your doing something else that requires that the turbo be removed.
I see by your signature that you have an '03. This job may not be as simple (or cheap) for you. The drain tube will still be an easy swap, since that did not change....but the oil line may not be as easy/cheap.

The early release '03 has a different oil cooler cover and different turbo oil supply line. The difference is how the oil line connects to the oil cooler cover. The newer style line attaches to the oil cooler cover by a collar that is around the line and this collar is screwed to the oil cooler cover.
The older style line is a snap-to-connect style fitting, and appears as though there is a large nut at the line connection to the oil cooler cover.
Below is a pic of the early '03 style. If this is what you have, you would best be served by waiting until you need a new oil cooler installed, since you would need to change the oil cooler cover to use the new style turbo oil supply line.

as an edit: amdriven2liv's post below has a link showing the new style line. Note the difference at how it connects to the oil cooler cover.
Great shot! My local dealer (at least the parts guy) couldn't give me any clue as to what else would indicate early '03 beside engine serial # (mine has rubbed off the block and my FICM was sent off to FICMrepair long ago). A quick look at that photo and it's perfectly clear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.