MANY PROBLEMS - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MANY PROBLEMS

Ok so I bought this 2003 F350 6.0 about a month ago and have been going through fixing problems that it has had. I'll make a list and maybe you guys can give me some pointers (I hope some of the problems are related thats why im posting it this way)
-ABS Light is on. Tried replacing rear diff sensor
-4wd doesn't work. Checked at the t-case and its not getting power, switched out relays and still nothing, all the fuses are good.
-Cruse control started working then not working and now it does not work.
-Horn stopped working about the same time as the cruise

I would really appriciate any pointers. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 03:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

There are also sensors at each front wheel for the ABS, which make it a three circuit system. Any fault in the system will set off the ABS light. Also, the cruise contril is related to problems with these sensors.

The service manual discusses electronics under the hood that control the engagement of the transfer case (motor on the side of the transfer case). Was it the two relays by the drivers side battery that you replaced . They are in a small box 1.5"x3". They are for the shift motor. You can also spray some contact cleaner in the plugs to get any gunk or oxidation out, because it sounds like you may be battling a lot of corrosion issues.

Also if you haven't already, verify power to the 4x4 switch. You say you have checked the fuses, but do you know which one is for the 4x4 circuit? I would replace it just to be sure. If all that checks out, go to the tcase motor and verify power to it. I have heard the motors on the tcase are fairly reliable so it may very well be either a pulled wire or loose connection.

Last edited by bismic; 07-17-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
The service manual discusses electronics under the hood that control the engagement of the transfer case (motor on the side of the transfer case). Was it the two relays by the drivers side battery that you replaced . They are in a small box 1.5"x3". They are for the shift motor. You can also spray some contact cleaner in the plugs to get any gunk or oxidation out, because it sounds like you may be battling a lot of corrosion issues.

Also if you haven't already, verify power to the 4x4 switch. You say you have checked the fuses, but do you know which one is for the 4x4 circuit? I would replace it just to be sure. If all that checks out, go to the tcase motor and verify power to it. I have heard the motors on the tcase are fairly reliable so it may very well be either a pulled wire or loose connection.
I have to check the connections on the 4wd relays. Those were the ones i replaced but it is very possible that there could be corrosion. I also tested at the t-case and i don't get any power there so it must be further up the line. Is there a way to test power at the 4wd switch? I tested the switch itself and it is good.

Last edited by sbveenker; 07-20-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
There are also sensors at each front wheel for the ABS, which make it a three circuit system. Any fault in the system will set off the ABS light. Also, the cruise contril is related to problems with these sensors.
I realize the there are two front wheel sensors also, but why would the cruise control work before and the abs light was still on?
Old 07-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check the vacuum pump for the 4wd as well. Mine didnt work when I got it - replaced the vacuum pump and now it works fine.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Vacuum pump is working and no leaks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.