Additive causing stiction?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Question Additive causing stiction?!

Well this is a first for me and I'm just wondering if anybody else has had this issue.

When I bought my truck I had no starting issues, I ran a full tank of fuel through it and then changed all my fluids minus rear end and did the upgrades in my sig. I also bought the grey bottle of Diesel Kleen. Within two days it would start fine in the morning and after about 10 seconds of running it would run like total chit until it warmed up. (I let it run for 15 min. before I drive it.) It is definitely not cold here in SWFL so I ran every test in the world on my truck and nothing looked off, I pulled my ICP and IPR sensors and checked them and the wires and they were fine. I added archoil 9100 to the oil and it did run smother when warm but didn't help my cold start issue. I never gave the T6 I switched to or the Diesel Kleen a thought because those are what you’re supposed to do. Well anyway 6 weeks later I'm out of the Diesel Kleen and it has had zero problems on this tank of fuel.

Has anybody else had this issue? Sorry for being long winded. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 11:18 AM
NOT a Democrat

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Super odd..... I see no reason why the DC would do that? Cetane improve, lube improve, detergant......

Super odd IMO. Maybe just a bad tank of fuel at that time? It isnt strong enough to "clean" maybe a build up out of lines or your tank to cause that....

Im sure someone will chime in if they heard this but I have not.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:08 AM

I've recently started using Diesel Kleen myself, and have put one in every tank with no problems. In fact, quite the opposite. I've noticed an improvement in overall performance. I tend to agree with Galaxie in that it sounds like maybe you got a bad load of fuel.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:00 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

Yeah, I started Diesel Kleen a few weeks ago in every other tank and I have had great results with it. Injectors seem a bit quieter. I moved your thread into the 6.0 section for you as well.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:40 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I throw in an ASHLESS 2 stroke oil with every tank. Walmart has the 8oz bottles for 2 bux (outboard 2 stroke ashless oil) and I put one of those in every tank and the truck starts quiet and runs quiet.

You can also put some ATF in the tank as it has detergents in it - you will have to read around on which type and which brand people like.

Todd
Old 07-21-2012, 02:51 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thanks for the info everybody. I figured out what the issue was, it just so happend that when I started using DC I also started stopping at the race track gas station on my way to work. I noticed this when I was looking over the notes and service records on my truck. I ran three tankfulls of fuel from that place and had issues the whole time, since I quit filling up there...no issues.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:53 PM

I see you got it figured but just for referance
Stiction is on the oil side of the injector Diesel Kleen is on the Fuel side

Unrelated
Old 07-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by white59rt View Post
I throw in an ASHLESS 2 stroke oil with every tank. Walmart has the 8oz bottles for 2 bux (outboard 2 stroke ashless oil) and I put one of those in every tank and the truck starts quiet and runs quiet.

You can also put some ATF in the tank as it has detergents in it - you will have to read around on which type and which brand people like.

Todd
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy the gallon of Super Tech 2 stroke at Wally World.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Yes much cheaper - I tried that but it never fails the damn thing goes rolling around the back of the truck and you can keep it inside cause even with the cap on it STINKS my cab. And the last insult to injury was it ended up falling over in the bed an the cap on those bottles SUCKS so it leaked a bunch of 2 stroke in my bed. I filled up the 2oz bottles with it until it was gone and now I just buy 6 of those 2oz at walmart for like 15 bux and it lasts me for 2 months . In this case I am paying more for convenience and less hassle

The other added bonus is it is pre-measured for me - I think 8oz is plenty for a tankful especially since I have the smaller tank (short bed). Lots of guys say to run 2 bottles and imo they are just wasting a bottle of it every time. You can DEFINITELY tell the difference with the 8oz bottle - a few times I ran out and the truck really made a racket with out it in there.

Todd
Old 07-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Is the supertec ashless? If not it can leave deposits in the fuel system.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.