Fuel pressure after filter change - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel pressure after filter change

When I replace my filters I have cycled the key on up to 12 times and pressure doesn't go above 20 psi. Each cycle of the key I wait until hfcm shuts off then cycle key again. Finally I start truck and let idle. Pressure will sit at 15-20 for a minute or so and drives me crazy then it will rise to 65 which is normal for gauge. I can hear the difference in injector clatter once pressure reaches 65. My sending unit is mounted on top of secondary filter. In between filter changes pressure always goes to 65 1st time. Pressure at wot is 58. Has anyone else seen this? Is there something I should be doing different? Thanks to all for any help.
Sent from my DROID Pro using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

Bump. Has anybody seen this on there stock fuel system? The reason I ask is because im concerned about injector damage. Sorry if this is addressed in another thread. Thanks guys

Sent from my DROID Pro using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-19-2012, 09:06 AM

The same thing happened to me today. This was my first filter change since installing a fuel pressure gauge. I didn't notice any difference in injector chatter though. It ran normal the entire time. Once I drove 20 yards or so the presssure went from 20 to 67 very quickly. Im assuming it was just an air bubble in the sending unit.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mine did the same thing when I changed my filters. Not a big deal. As soon as the motor was running the psi went right back to 70.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Premium Member

Hey guys, I replace lower filter first then before i replace top filter I cycle the key with top cap off and it gets all the air out and fills bowl. I have my son cycle the key because bowl fills fast about 2 seconds. I install top filter and cap turn key on and pressure is at 65 right away. Before I did it this way several cycles of key and pressure would still be low and I could hear stress on injectors when I started truck as soon as pressure went up truck sounded normal.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-08-2013, 04:52 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
I noticed this problem tonight when I changed my filters and now that I have a pressure gauge, I see how low the pressure is when the system is primed a few times. I wish I would have read this before I changed filters to avoid stress on the injectors. Oh well, next time.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:12 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
Well, a whole new issue now. I last drove the truck Thursday evening where I filled up at the same station I always do on the way home. I drove about 10 miles after filling and parked it until this morning. I changed the oil and fuel filters last night, rolling the key a few times only to get 15-20 PSI on the fuel gauge. I left it until this morning and rolling the key had my pressure at 66PSI. I went ahead and fired it up and it ran like hell for 30 seconds to a minute. I did not have it plugged in because my block heater quit working a week or so ago and it was 4F this morning. It settled down after a bit and warmed up fine. I left the driveway when ECT and EOT were over 100F. After 15 minutes of driving, it started to run horribly...no power and shaking. I was able to make it into a coffee shop where it stalled after 2 minutes of idling. It sounded like it was running out of fuel but my pressure over 60PSI. I let it sit for a couple of minutes and started it...it limped up to an idle and I sat there for a minute with a rough idle then it started to smooth out, so I left and went to my appointment. It ran fine for the remaining 20 minutes of the trip. I came out of the meeting and started it up. 65+ pressure and it started like normal. I began my trek home only to have it run like crap after 15 minutes. It would barely leave the light, so I limped into a parking lot where I just sat and let it idle. It died twice in the same manner, sounding like it was running out of fuel. I was only a mile form home, so I was able to get it to the driveway and noticed that I was dripping fuel from the drain plug. I did notice 2 small cuts in the o ring when I put the plug back in, so I know why that leaks. I'm going to pull the plug and match an oring. My question is...is this what fuel gelling sounds like? Should I get some red power service 911 and see if that helps? It is cold here...12F right now. And I also remembering NOT to put diesel clean in the tank Thursday night after the fillup. I did not have any with me and my spare was in the garage...I forgot to add it to the tank when I got home on Thursday night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.