To bulletproof or not? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To bulletproof or not?

I'm at the point where I've got enough saved to bulletproof the 250...but I'm not having any trouble witg it as of yet.

Obviously I'm all stock....and plan to mod a little bit such as exhaust, tuning and all.

I have the option of running a bolt safe tune or bullet proofing and running a hotter tune. My deltas as of now are around 6-9* so I'm alright ...right now.

The trucks an 06 f250 witg 98k miles..

Opinions are welcomed. Would you do it now as a preventive step? Or wait until necessary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 08:21 PM

Only two people i know have had 6.0's and both of the seemed to be working perfectly fine when they decided to do gaskets and studs.
Both had several cracks in the heads. Both were previously stock tuned.
How long do you want to keep the truck?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Only two people i know have had 6.0's and both of the seemed to be working perfectly fine when they decided to do gaskets and studs.
Both had several cracks in the heads. Both were previously stock tuned.
How long do you want to keep the truck?
I say I plan on keeping it for a while. But then again I've had 14 trucks and 2 cars since I was 16...I'm 24 now.

I guess its like saying it ran good until it quit lol

I will add I don't think there's an issue witg the heads as of yet. Pressure testing held 15 lbs for several hours.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:42 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
if it aint broke, dont fix it. this is my second 6.0. i know the weak point of the engine. monitor it and do the work accordingly.

bailey
Old 07-14-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by van-boy View Post
if it aint broke, dont fix it. this is my second 6.0. i know the weak point of the engine. monitor it and do the work accordingly.

bailey
I agree witg you to a point...

I've got a buddy with an 06 that has 13k tied up in egr delete studs and oil cooler...

He did them different times having to pay separate labor each time
Old 07-14-2012, 09:58 PM
The Silent Service

Congradulations on the purchase of your 6.0L. As for me, its a matter of what you want out of the truck. I would say drive it until the first time you need an oil cooler, and make the choice of how far you tear into bullet-proofing. Gives you time to get some money saved, find a great shop that knows what they are doing, and learn exactly how you want to do this/how exterme you take performance.

The following threads are good starting points:
Monitoring:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/gen...-6-0l-psd.html
Bullet Proofing:
Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.
Performance:
Write Up: Power Potential of the 6.0L PSD

If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
^ x2 if it ain't broke don't fix it get yourself some gauges or an edge insight cs or cts and monitor the engine vitals. when it comes time for the 250 to go under the knife then thats up to you at that point to decide whether or not you want to go a couple hours more and rip the heads off ( if your tearing it down to do an oil cooler you might as well do the hg's and studs while your at it ) esp if your paying someone to do the work as you don't want to have to rip it back down again past where you stopped last time to do the studs when the hg's blow because if you have them do the hg's and studs then they should't charge you labor on anything that put in thats new above the heads ( if you supply your own parts ) because that have to tear all that out to get to the head gaskets. just my $0.02
Old 07-15-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
^ x2 if it ain't broke don't fix it get yourself some gauges or an edge insight cs or cts and monitor the engine vitals. when it comes time for the 250 to go under the knife then thats up to you at that point to decide whether or not you want to go a couple hours more and rip the heads off ( if your tearing it down to do an oil cooler you might as well do the hg's and studs while your at it ) esp if your paying someone to do the work as you don't want to have to rip it back down again past where you stopped last time to do the studs when the hg's blow because if you have them do the hg's and studs then they should't charge you labor on anything that put in thats new above the heads ( if you supply your own parts ) because that have to tear all that out to get to the head gaskets. just my $0.02
I was thinking of that as well...buying my own parts along the way.

I would think shops wouldn't want to install your parts as they cant mark them up. I can get parts substantially cheaper than retail.

Last edited by Adamv7010; 07-15-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
In all honesty you should save yourself the money (big money anywhere from $1500+) and do the job yourself and then you know you didn't cut corners and it got done right. JMO thats what im doing with mine. just putting all the parts together now.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
In all honesty you should save yourself the money (big money anywhere from $1500+) and do the job yourself and then you know you didn't cut corners and it got done right. JMO thats what im doing with mine. just putting all the parts together now.
I have the ability, tools, and room to do so. But can it be done without removing the cab?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.