Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Battery Jobs?

2K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  bwmtnbiker 
#1 ·
Which battery is responsible for what? I know the passenger is for the starter and are the glow plugs on the passenger or drivers? Im just trying to learn what is hooked up where for power.

#2 ·
They are not seperate. Thats why when you change them one at a time, your stuff doesnt die.

#3 ·
Well i realize they are run in parallel configuration so they act as "one" battery basically, but wouldnt one battery experience more load if the starter was connected directly to it?

#8 ·
When we tested my batteries the draw was exactly the same on mine. I see what you mean but thats what I had when testing.

#9 ·
Same load, same draw, unless you have a bad cable, or oxidized/corroded connector.

Edit: or maybe a bad plate (dead cell) in one of the batteries. Imo

Sent from my SCH-I500

#12 ·
How and what does that mean?

#13 ·
I am not am expert but I have herd that if you have 2 different size bat's in they will fight each other for the draw. It is just what I herd, hope someone can say more about it.

#18 ·
I don't ever use water in comparison with electricity with my apprentices, it acts similar, but when you get into things like this they will act completely different. Two buckets of water will equalize in in volume but batteries will not equalize in amps. Once the voltage is the same there is no more transfer, you will actually get less cranking amps with batteries of different size than two small batteries.

Worst case scenario would be not supplying you FICM with the proper voltage while cranking and taking out some injectors.

#19 ·
Just wait and do both. I see a lot of good stuff that is above my head in this thread. Just replace both so you dont thow money out of the window or a FICM for that matter....

#22 ·
There is definitely some good information in here and it all makes sense. Im going to have to stop for a new battery on the way home from work today. I think my FICM is going bad already which is what prompted me getting my batteries checked and replacing the battery cables. Now my FICM doesn't drop below 47v (used to hit 46.5 sometimes) now it mostly sits at 48 but will drop to 47.5 then to 47 then back to 48 at random times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.