03 6.0 Excursion - HPOP Replacement, Oil Leak... Help?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 07:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lightbulb 03 6.0 Excursion - HPOP Replacement, Oil Leak... Help?!

After expending some effort to replace the HPOP over a series of evenings the last few weeks, I fired up the truck this morning.

Good news: The throttle response and overall performance of the truck feels great - I am attributing this mostly to the turbo reconditioning.

Bad news: Oil leak... It appears the oil is coming from the valley underneath the intake manifold but it is visibly dripping down the passenger side of the transmission. Accumulation after starting the engine is pretty consistent every time - about 1/2 -3/4 cup.

I used Ford RTV sealant on the back section of the HPOP cover per the Ford TSB but I am thinking it may have set before I was able to tighten up the bolts the next day (rain came in heavy right after application of the RTV).

Could the new HPOP be highlighting another weak gasket failure?

I am dreading tearing everything back down only to have another leak... any help is appreciated

Time for a drink while the beast cools...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Uhm....some have experienced a cracked cover after stc failure. Hope that didn't happen to you, did you inspect it well?

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
Uhm....some have experienced a cracked cover after stc failure. Hope that didn't happen to you, did you inspect it well?

Sent from my SCH-I500
Me too... I actually purchased a new HPOP cover (the one with the updated channel for the oil discharge tube). 2003 6.0 doesn't have the STC fitting but the cover looks solid and I will keep this in mind when looking.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just finished tearing it back down to view the HPOP (the manifold is still on) but it looks like the oil was accumulating underneath the turbo pedestal between the HPOP and oil cooler.

My initial thoughts are the turbo drain tube was too far into the HPOP. Would it be recommended to pull the intake manifold and re-seat/RTV the HPOP cover?

Sidenote: The back bolts on the oil cooler appear tight but there is a few MM gap between the block and the backside of the oil cooler. Is this normal?
Old 07-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Premium Member

Wished I could help you better, I haven't had to do that yet. Reading through your post again, that rtv may have set up on you.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Premium Member

I helped a bud do his HPOP three times do to sealant issues. Bottom line, surgically clean surfaces seemed to be the key. I don't recall either on the gap question. Good time to put in the updated turbo supply and drain.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the tips guys! Good to know!

I got the manifold and EGR cooler off and will be pulling the HPOP cover now. Will be diligent when cleaning the surfaces and reapply RTV.

Term3 - did you guys end up only using RTV in the back two corners? Any suggestions on what to use to clean surface?

Also, I have installed the updated turbo drain but am holding off on the supply line until I replace oil cooler (I have the older style cooler cover).

Hopefully I will get it put back together today...
Old 07-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Check your turbo drain line. After I replaced my hpop my drain line would leak I though the same thing that my hpop cover didn't seal. Put a new gasket on the drain line and now no more leak.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

elm302 - good point, I checked and replaced the oring on the turbo drain line and re-sealed the HPOP on the second tear down. Truck started right up but ran terribly and was still leaking oil. After driving it a little bit Monday AM, it died and would not restart.

Had it towed to a stealership and am being told that IPR valve is shot and they can't diagnose oil leak until they replace IPR and start the truck.

Does this make sense? I replaced the HPOP cover with the newer design and it came with a new IPR. Any thoughts on if/where particles could be being sent through the brand new IPR screen? Could the reman. Ford HPOP be defective?

After all the effort, it is beyond frustrating having to throw 1k at the dealer to start their tally of other issues.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post

Sent from my SCH-I500
I'm going through this at the moment. I had the darned snap to fit deal blow about a month ago and when that happened it cracked the rear cover. It doesn't leak a lot, but it does leak.

Luckily my warranty covers this and my dealer will fix it next week when we get back from RV'ing.

Good luck to the OP in getting his fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.