6.0l bucking and losing HPOP in 5th TCL - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 09:09 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0l bucking and losing HPOP in 5th TCL

Ok so I have had this problem for a few months and the truck has been in and out of the shop many many times. It does as the title says, it bucks when in 5fth gear TCL, ICP voltage bounces up and down, ICP loses 5-800 psi instantly, and the pressures will bounce up and down.... All happens when I give throttle and boost. ICP sensor has been replace as well as the IPR, standpipes and dummy plugs as well. When I got studded they added the updated STC fitting along with an EGR delete.

So the dealer replaced a few parts and doesn't want to bill the warranty company for any more parts/labor. They told me to drive it until something concrete happens that they can narrow it down to. I'm a HD mechanic so in frustration I said screw it I'm going to give it a go and bill them...ha.

So now I've got the engine control wiring diagrams, and Insight CTS, very good multimeter, some spoons, and an 06 F350 that doesn't want to cooperate. My FICM is steady @ 47.5-49v at ALL times, blue spring upgrade, new ICP, IPR valve, STC fitting update, new standpipes and dummy plugs. Where should I go from here, injectors check out fine (balance test apparently). Has fresh oil (Mobil 5w 40) and fuel filters w water/fuel separator drained.

I can't take it to any other dealer for warranty, as what the warranty company claims. So now I view the dealer as incompetent and lazy as they really don't want to get down and dirty to really troubleshoot this thing.

I figured I might as well get dirty and learn a thing or two about this fantastic beautie lol, any of you very experienced 6.0l techs point me in a direction as this problem is starting to drive me insane as it makes the truck quite a pain to drive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 09:36 PM

Ohh and no smoke out the tailpipe either. Truck runs, in every gear until 5th TCL then the bucking is intermittent.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:41 PM

Sorry meant to say truck runs awesome in every gear. Trans tested out perfect on first test drive, TCL clutch slippage, and clutch pressures well within parameters.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Change the HPOP.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:13 AM

How can I test it to verify?
Old 07-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you have a warranty, take it to another dealer. I vote hpop also.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 07-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobane View Post
How can I test it to verify?
I think you already did - it looks like the HPOP is your culprit from your troubleshooting you listed above. If it was bucking and not losing HPO Pressure maybe it could be a torq converter due it doing it in fifth after lock up but everything you diagnosed is pointing to HPOP :-/

Todd
Old 07-13-2012, 05:00 PM

I'm getting heat from the dealer now, they think my SCT is creating a data problem on the PCM, but this is after they have reflashed it twice now. Gonna mention the HPOP
Old 07-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobane View Post
I'm getting heat from the dealer now, they think my SCT is creating a data problem on the PCM, but this is after they have reflashed it twice now. Gonna mention the HPOP
run the same cold or hot?
Old 07-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Mine does the same thing, only in 5th, never did it until i put in the STC fitting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.