Going from 2 alternators to 1 good idea? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Going from 2 alternators to 1 good idea?

I purchased my truck used about 2 months ago and I LOVE it. Currently has 61000 and runs great. I was playing under the hood the other day and was looking at the 2 alternators and that got me to thinking. Why not remove both of them and put an upgraded DC Power either 220amp or 260 amp.

I understand the cost to do that, my question is will it effect anything else? Can the truck be downgraded from 2 alternators to 1 without causing any problems. I do not plow with the truck. I tow a landscape trailer and am looking to purchase a 34ft 5th wheel in the near future. I don't run any extra stereo stuff but do have a DVD player with 2 screens in the seats for the kids.

I am wondering going from the 2 to the 1 will reduce the load on the engine at all? Not that it can not handle it but thought any load reduction can not be bad. I am also assuming the lower one of the 2 would be the one to remove since it is on the secondary belt. Any thoughts and opinions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I also have two alternator, IMO your not really putting any noticeable load on the motor with the second alternator. I would just leave it on there and upgrade your top (primary) alternator.

When my original top alternator failed, the secondary was there as a back up and didn't leave me stranded or out of commission. The PCM turned on the "battery light" in the dash, but my volts still showed 13v+ because the secondary had been commanded on by the PCM.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/at...8&d=1288282883
Old 07-13-2012, 06:26 AM
Emergency Services

Thanks for the reply. I was just never sure how much strain a alternator put on the engine, especially one that is not really needed.

If you get a chance can you shoot me a pic of your 2 alternator setup and how much clearance you have with the intercooler tube. It looks like the guy who owned the truck before my put the tube in a vice and flattened one side of the tube. The only reason i can think of it because it was hitting the lower alternator.

I would look at my buddies but none of there trucks have the dual setup. Thanks for the help

Last edited by Aretoo; 07-13-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
since they aren't truly redundant if one fails you still have issues

there was a thread and Dennis from strictly walked everyone through how to do it

you need to rewire something and it lets the PCM now it's a 1 alt truck again
,,good thing is you could sell the dual and get a nice single
with room to spare

Last edited by ZMANN; 07-13-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:48 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
since they aren't redundant if one fails you still have issues
Can you explain how this is so? I can only give my experience with what I've ran into. Thanks.

When my top alternator failed, the bottom alternator was able to keep the charging system working without issues (i.e.... Battery drain, FICM damage, running poorly).

On a dual alternator set up, the bottom alternator is controlled by the PCM. Its only "on" when the GP are activated and/or when the upper alternator can't keep up with volt/amp draw.

IMO, Having a "peace of mind" knowing that if the top alternator fails, the PCM will command the lower alternator to take up the slack.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:50 AM

just leave it be...

load is dictated by the current you're drawing. They just share that load. In theory, they should last twice as long as a single
Old 07-13-2012, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aretoo View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was just never sure how much strain a alternator put on the engine, especially one that is not really needed.

If you get a chance can you shoot me a pic of your 2 alternator setup and how much clearance you have with the intercooler tube. It looks like the guy who owned the truck before my put the tube in a vice and flattened one side of the tube. The only reason i can think of it because it was hitting the lower alternator.

I would look at my buddies but none of there trucks have the dual setup. Thanks for the help

The "crushed" hot side IC pipe came that way from the factory on dual alternator set-ups. Allowed room for the lower alternator. Changing out to a "non-crushed" pipe has no HP gain.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:53 AM

Not really other than what I have read I had some PDF files but those were lost
,, also IIRC the burden alternator is changed from one to the other at different times from what I have read ,,

I know Dennis pulled his to gain room and also test his regulated returns on various setups .

If you had one go down and still had full voltage ,, that is good to know
Old 07-13-2012, 06:59 AM

here is the conversion dual to single pdf and a little description on the charging characteristics

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q91.pdf
Old 07-13-2012, 07:00 AM
Emergency Services

Thanks for the info. The IC tube is what got me looking at it in the first place. Was not sure if that was the previous owners "mod" or not since I had no reference truck. It was actually surprising to me that for all the guys i know with 6.0 none of them had the dual setup.

I was wondering if the "crushed tube" restricted the flow enough to hurt HP or anything.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.