Brake fluid question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brake fluid question

I've found lots of posts suggesting what fluids to use and instructions on how to perform the flush, but I haven't found anything saying how much fluid to use during the flush. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 01:25 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just keep filling the reservoir as you flush the lines. DO NOT let it get any air inside. I recall using two of the big bottles of DOT 3.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I know this is a month old thread, but just did mine today. I have had a Motive power bleeder (Motive Products #1 Selling DIY Brake Bleeder) for YEARS (bought it for a Mustang that I no longer own), and it worked great. It's one of the systems that you fill with brake fluid, put the cap on your brake reservoir, and pump it up to 15 psi or so.

Then, you just open up the bleeder valves at each brake caliper, and let the pressure push it the old with the new. Very easy, neat, and clean.

I ended up using a turkey baster-type of thing to remove as much brake fluid out of the reservoir as I could, then filled it up with clean fluid. Then, I hooked up the power bleeder, put brake fluid in it (they suggest two quarts), and pumped it up to 15 psi or so. Then, I just went around (farthest away first, of course), and opened up each valve until the fluid came out clear.

It was DIRTY, for sure. The brakes feel a lot better now, tighter, and firmer. It was a very good return for a half hour's work.

In restrospect, I should have gotten three bottles of the Prestone synthetic DOT3, rather than two. I ended up using almost an entire bottle in the reservoir, so I was kind of stressing out as I was doing it, and had to keep going back and checking how much I had left. I just made it with the one bottle that I had left after the initial fill.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
I know this is a month old thread, but just did mine today. I have had a Motive power bleeder (Motive Products #1 Selling DIY Brake Bleeder) for YEARS (bought it for a Mustang that I no longer own), and it worked great. It's one of the systems that you fill with brake fluid, put the cap on your brake reservoir, and pump it up to 15 psi or so.

Then, you just open up the bleeder valves at each brake caliper, and let the pressure push it the old with the new. Very easy, neat, and clean.

I ended up using a turkey baster-type of thing to remove as much brake fluid out of the reservoir as I could, then filled it up with clean fluid. Then, I hooked up the power bleeder, put brake fluid in it (they suggest two quarts), and pumped it up to 15 psi or so. Then, I just went around (farthest away first, of course), and opened up each valve until the fluid came out clear.

It was DIRTY, for sure. The brakes feel a lot better now, tighter, and firmer. It was a very good return for a half hour's work.

In restrospect, I should have gotten three bottles of the Prestone synthetic DOT3, rather than two. I ended up using almost an entire bottle in the reservoir, so I was kind of stressing out as I was doing it, and had to keep going back and checking how much I had left. I just made it with the one bottle that I had left after the initial fill.
Try flushing you brake fluid again...you will be amazed what comes out a couple of days later.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm635 View Post
Try flushing you brake fluid again...you will be amazed what comes out a couple of days later.
Ha ha, I'll bet.

I'm thinking of doing it again, just because I knew that I wouldn't be able to get it all out of the reservoir, and I pretty much ran it down to nothing. Now that it's fairly clean, I'll get two more quarts and do it again sometime soon.

The Motive power bleeder makes it so easy, it's worth the money.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I used a gallon of brake fluid when I flushed mine out a few months ago. Unbelievable how dirty it was. We have a brake flush machine at work but we never use it. No one believes their brake fluid needs changed
Old 08-12-2012, 08:50 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I used 3 of the large Valvoline bottles when I did my flush. I don't think it had ever been done. It's amazing how people don't think that brake fluid needs changed.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:11 PM

I remove as much as possible from the master cylinder first, fill and bleed the closest first. NO reason at all to push/pull that crap thru the longest line. I want to get the dirty stuff out of the system ASAP. I do not know of any reason to start at the furthest line first.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
Ha ha, I'll bet.

I'm thinking of doing it again, just because I knew that I wouldn't be able to get it all out of the reservoir, and I pretty much ran it down to nothing. Now that it's fairly clean, I'll get two more quarts and do it again sometime soon.

The Motive power bleeder makes it so easy, it's worth the money.
Oh, I hear ya. I own two of them - one for brakes and the other for clutches which uses a different fluid (Pentosin which does not like to be mixed with brake fluid).

I always run two large bottles every two years. I always re-bleed the system a couple of days later.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzhotrod View Post
I remove as much as possible from the master cylinder first, fill and bleed the closest first. NO reason at all to push/pull that crap thru the longest line. I want to get the dirty stuff out of the system ASAP. I do not know of any reason to start at the furthest line first.
Yep, I did the same thing.

Starting at the wheel farthest from the reservoir has always been best practice, although I'd assume that you'd be fine going in a different order. I guess old habits die hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.