2nd guessing bulletproofing, what to do??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
2nd guessing bulletproofing, what to do???

So, I have been getting ready to start the bulletproofing process on my truck. So far I have bought an OEM Ford oil cooler, intake gaskets, blue spring kit, HPOP screen, turbo drain tube kit. I am waiting on those items to arrive. Today, I thoroughly researched EGR Delete Kits and Coolant Filter Kits. I was just about to purchase both kits from IPR, when I decided to continue researching a few more article. I have now begun to wonder if it is even worth the effort. I have seen so many people on here who have replaced the oil cooler, complete flush, and the whole bulletproofing, only to have the new oil cooler plug up again. Along the same lines, I have noticed a trend of people suggesting that if you dont put in a BPD Oil Cooler for 1800-$2200 depending on the kit, the OEM oil cooler will innevitably plug up again every time. I have 229,000 miles on this truck, it runs great with the exception of some apparent stiction issues until warm up (some stuttering around 55mph until it reaches operating temps, then it goes away). I added a bottle of injector cleaner from Tractor Supply, but it didnt seem to help any. Other than that, high deltas, ECT around 190 and EOT around 220 @ 70mph on flat ground in 90* weather. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Oh, and the second guessing is due to the fact that I am on an Army pay budget, with a family of 4. I really cant afford to have to do this twice. Is it really this common to have to redo this if you use an OEM oil cooler, or does it just seem to be common due to the lack of successful bulletproofing jobs being reported in comparisson to the ones that fail? Additionaly, in ya'lls experience, how long does this project take in a garage with hand tools only, for a pretty technically inclinded person? I have had much experience working on vehicles, but as far as diesels go, my experience is limited to Cummins. Im planning to put the truck down for a weekend, does that seem reasonable? Thanks.

Last edited by BadMotherTrucker; 07-11-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:05 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Im on my second oil cooler and I doubt I will ever have to change another one. If you filter before your oil cool replacment and then do a GOOD flush and refill properly with a CAT ELTC and distilled water you wont have anymore issues as long as you change your coolant filter every year or so.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So you recommend flushing, installing the coolant filter, flushing again, then doing the bulletproofing and adding CAT ELC in that order, to prevent cooler plugging? Seems logical.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:22 PM
The Silent Service

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Here's been my recommendation from the start:

Install your coolant filter as soon as possible, making sure you don't install charged filters.

When the deltas get to that point of concern and you're ready to start this:

Flush with Restore and Restore Plus (if switching to a CAT EC-1 rated coolant-which is what I'm doing next) or VC-9 (if continuing to run Ford Gold)

Flush with distilled water until you are curtain you have the chemical treatments out of there.

Tear down to the the Oil Cooler.

Solve you EGR cooler via upgraded unit (which I'll be doing), blocking the exhaust ports, or an EGR deletion.

With your oil cooler, decide if you need the external oil cooler (a lot of money, but it a sure fire solution, unless you tow heavy) or an New or Rebuild Kit for the OEM oil cooler.

Solve any remaining MY weaknesses.

Put everything back in there correctly.

Fill with fresh motor oil, filters (coolant included), and your choice of coolant.

I wouldn't flush anything until you are ready to rebuild/replace that oil cooler. Use it as a debris trap for your flushes and be done with it. I also don't recommend the back flush that others think will fix the issue.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Add revx ASAP to help save your injectors
Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Hey I appreciate all the advice guys! I really do! And that coupled with knowing good people like y'all are here when I hit a bump has restored my will to go forward with this thing. I swear though if I ever hit the lotto I'm donating this truck to a shooting range and buying another common rail 5.9 cummins!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Last edited by BadMotherTrucker; 07-11-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:55 PM

But the 6.0 is like a sports car with a truck body
Old 07-12-2012, 05:08 AM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Rev x will not "save" your injectors. I recommend putting the coolant filter on before you do the flush but if your going to replace your oil cooler then it's not as big of a deal. The VC9 and restore are not contenget upon what coolant you use. They are always interchangeable. If your going to keep your oil cooler then I DO recommend a back flush after the regular flush. It significantly dropped my temps just didn't.drop them enough that it.changed my mind about replacing.the oil cooler.

Last edited by WarChild; 07-12-2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:25 AM

Sorry, no productive answers to your questions, but thanks for your service.

I was at Ft. Benning for basic training/AIT, then jump school, back in Jan-May or so of 86. Then, it was off to the 82D Airborne Division at Ft. Bragg, NC.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.