What should one do? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 06:38 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What should one do?

Alright fellas here's the deal I have an 06 F250 which is 4 payments from being paid off... She's got close to 96K on the clock (only 17K in the last 3 yrs) and will be parking the truck for my new toy to come. I have read that these motors do not like to sit but it'll have too for the most part. She will be out of the rain and sun but open to temp and moisture changes as it'll be parked under a carport. I plan to fire it up often and run it at least once a week real good but we all know she can easily become forgotten for extended periods so what is the best way to keep it up. She's stock except for a Street Race Lite tune put on her 3yrs ago and has been flawless. Will I be destroying my investment with this truck or will she be alright?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 06:43 PM
The Silent Service

She'll be alright, although these trucks like to work, they don't turn to lemons when they sit.

I have left mine for weeks at a time (military), and haven't had issues. If its going to be longer than a week or two, disconnect the batteries.

Only other piece of advise, is get a monitor in the truck, and be proactive with symptoms and repairs.

When you take her out, get her through all the gears a few times, ensure one good WOT run to max boost, and check your deltas.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just take her out and gas on her for a few miles a week! That would bemy recommendation! Run her for a few miles, let it get warmed up, then play a little bit!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:49 PM

Sounds good! I run her like I stole her at least twice a week and she has a full assortment of Autometer Phantom II's. It's just going from this beast to my new endeavor the Shelby GT500 it's going to be hard not to ignore her at first.........

ETA: I read somewhere about turbo's rusting when sitting what preventative measures could be taken or just run the hell out of it when I do run her?? I have been a strong advicate for the 6.0 and I ****ing love my truck..
Old 07-11-2012, 07:02 PM
The Silent Service

I would still install an Edge Insight monitor, to suppliement the gauges. (FICM voltage and pulling DTC's as well as VGT t/s, the unit will pay for itself.) What are you watching with guages?

The unison ring will rust up if allowed to sit. Two ways to fight this. 1) tear it apart and replace it with a coated unit (isn't worth the cost and trouble) 2) ensure you run the truck to full boost each week and bust that rust off. When you can't boost the rust off anymore, perform a clean and inspect, or upgrade.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:23 PM

I've got boost(going to dump it) trans, egts and fuel pressure on the Apillar and above rear view I've got Oil & Water Temp, Volts(had an issue but fautly indicator) and Oil pressure. No way in hell after having it tuned could I ever drive it stock again. When she blows I'll follow all procedures with the clean up.....lol I'm looking into the CTS it'll do what the insight will wont it?
Old 07-11-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokin06 View Post
I've got boost(going to dump it) trans, egts and fuel pressure on the Apillar and above rear view I've got Oil & Water Temp, Volts(had an issue but fautly indicator) and Oil pressure. No way in hell after having it tuned could I ever drive it stock again. When she blows I'll follow all procedures with the clean up.....lol I'm looking into the CTS it'll do what the insight will wont it?
An Edge CTS is an insight. It's proper title is the Edge CTS Insight If you want to go cheaper you can get the edge CS like I did. It is just smaller but you sacrifice having the backup camera port if I remember right.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokin06 View Post
The CTS is not a model. It stands for Color Touch Screen and the CS stands for Color Screen. The Insight is a monitor and comes as either CS or CTS. There is also the Evolution which is a programmer that also comes as a CS or CTS.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by F250SixOH View Post
An Edge CTS is an insight. It's proper title is the Edge CTS Insight If you want to go cheaper you can get the edge CS like I did. It is just smaller but you sacrifice having the backup camera port if I remember right.
No it is an Edge Insight CTS or an Edge Insight CS. The CS and CTS just designate what kind of screen it has.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:58 PM

Ah cripes well I knew what I wanted to say but just not how to phrase it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.