6.0l vs 7.3l help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 04:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0l vs 7.3l help!

Im in the market for a f250 and people keep telling me different things. I want speed and reliability. I plan on putting it in a little mud, nothing serious and im always at the beach. I want a lot of power to put the little sports cars in their place off the line. ive been told the 6.0l is faster than the 7.3l and all that so i was just wondering if anyone could give me some facts and help me chose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 04:58 PM
The Silent Service

I'll send you a PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well the way I see it is for you to get speed and reliability you will have to spend 2-5k on each engine on top of purchase price( unless you find an already bulletpfroof 6.0). You will need that money to make the 6.0 as reliable as the 7.3 and that much money to make the 7.3 as fast as the 6.0. Some 6.0s get beat on everyday and never have an issue but some don't. My choice would be get an 05+ 6.0, bulletproof it, and get some good custom tunes and you will have a great looking powerful truck.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:16 PM

1k dollars to bulletproof your truck if you do the work yourself. I love my 6.0 and I wouldn't trade it for anything
Old 07-11-2012, 05:23 PM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey's250 View Post
Well the way I see it is for you to get speed and reliability you will have to spend 2-5k on each engine on top of purchase price( unless you find an already bulletpfroof 6.0). You will need that money to make the 6.0 as reliable as the 7.3 and that much money to make the 7.3 as fast as the 6.0. Some 6.0s get beat on everyday and never have an issue but some don't. My choice would be get an 05+ 6.0, bulletproof it, and get some good custom tunes and you will have a great looking powerful truck.
Only thing you need for a reliable 6.0L is a Monitor. I can't stress that enough. So many of the 6.0L's weaknesses have a symptom, and an OEM or Aftermarket solution that can be addressed as the need arises.

I agree the '05+ trucks are great, you want to take that one more step, find one built after Jan'06 when the last factory updates where made.

It takes way too much investment in hardware to get a 7.3L to put down 400HP+, with a transmission that will support, to compare the costs between upgrading the two. All the 6.0L needs is custom tuning to make that level of power, and the transmission can run with it all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFordman87 View Post
1k dollars to bulletproof your truck if you do the work yourself. I love my 6.0 and I wouldn't trade it for anything
Depends on how indepth you take the endevor. I figure around $2,200 in parts, if you don't require heads, and you don't install an external oil cooler. That includes the EGR cooler solution, new oil cooler, and studding the truck - taking the heads off.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:25 PM

Well I figured studs oem HG and egr delete would be fine if he doesn't need a oil cooler
Old 07-11-2012, 05:31 PM
The Silent Service

My recommendation ensures he's not back in there again soon.

I feel it you solve the EGR cooler, you're that far in the truck, take care of the oil cooler there as well (even if its with Ford's rebuild kit).
Old 07-11-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
Only thing you need for a reliable 6.0L is a Monitor. I can't stress that enough. So many of the 6.0L's weaknesses have a symptom, and an OEM or Aftermarket solution that can be addressed as the need arises.

I agree the '05+ trucks are great, you want to take that one more step, find one built after Jan'06 when the last factory updates where made.

It takes way too much investment in hardware to get a 7.3L to put down 400HP+, with a transmission that will support, to compare the costs between upgrading the two. All the 6.0L needs is custom tuning to make that level of power, and the transmission can run with it all day.

Depends on how indepth you take the endevor. I figure around $2,200 in parts, if you don't require heads, and you don't install an external oil cooler. That includes the EGR cooler solution, new oil cooler, and studding the truck - taking the heads off.
I agree. I'm just thinking worse case scenario since we don't always know what were getting or what the truck as been through when we buy used. Better to plan for the worst and end up getting off easy ya know. And i know the 7.3 takes a lot more to keep up, I'm pretty much stuck performance wise without spending some serious coin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0l, 7.3l, f250, power

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.