FOG LIGHTS - HID Install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FOG LIGHTS - HID Install

So I have been curious as to how people mount the ballasts of their HIDs for their fog lights. With nothing of a straight answer I took the bumper off to find the best way. Short wires and mounting surfaces were my limiting factor. The kit is DDM tunings Raptor kit (wish it was the slim ballasts).

1) Bumper removal:
Instructions (for an 05)
Don't forget to unplug the current fog light bulbs before you remove the bumper!

2) I am going to be zip-tieing mine to the fog light brackets, but with the bottom edge being slanted, it isn't a very sure way of doing it. Remove the old bulbs, becareful when twisting them out of the socket, the plastic is dry and can snap very easily, it did to mine.
How it is going to look finished:

3) When you get the HID bulb there will be wires you don't need (they are hooked up to anything on either end of the bulb). Those can get removed from the shield, sorry I don't have a pic.

4) Next collect some zip ties, at least 10 - 12in length ones. A hole will need to be drilled on the fog light bracket the size of the zip tie, down at the bottom. This is to help secure the ballast because there isnt a good point here to.

5) Place the ballast on the bracket, however you would like it to face, and throw 3 zip ties on it as shown. Cut off any excess.

6) Plug the corresponding connections in on the bulb to ballast. Pay attention to which terminal is positive on the other connection on the ballast.

7) Mount the bumper back up in reverse of removal.

8) Plug the existing fog light connection from the truck into the ballasts, paying attention that the red side of the connector goes to the positive side on the ballast.

9) Turn truck on and test.

I sometimes will get an issue with only one side turning on or it blowing fuses. A quick way to fix the fuses is update the 10a fog light fuse to a 15a fuse. This is not recommended, but the only time it draws a lot of current is during firing (startup). The best way to fix it is get a relay pack for them and use it that way.

Hopefully this helps and ask questions if you need!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Serving Our Country!

Sweet, i cant wait to do my fog lights in h.i.d. What temp bulbs did u choose ?
Old 07-11-2012, 04:08 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thats basically how I did mine. I have the 55W 5000k HI/LOW in the main and the 35W 5000k in the fog. I love them. I got mine from DDM Tunning and I NEVER have any issues with them at all. no blinking or one side turning on without the other.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:43 PM

In mine I got 55w 8k in the head lights, no issues with flickering. I got 35w 6k in the fogs. Only sometimes have the one side issue. I love them! DDM is great, won't hesitate to order from again.

You won't regret them!

Sent from my IPhone when I shouldn't be!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:55 PM
War is the answer!

I got the digital slim balast I went with the 5000k becouse they were the next to brightest light. dont really ever use the HI/LOW on it. I would not pay the extra 20 for it again if I had to order new ones.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:07 PM

Nice write up

Marked for later.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
I got the digital slim balast I went with the 5000k becouse they were the next to brightest light. dont really ever use the HI/LOW on it. I would not pay the extra 20 for it again if I had to order new ones.
Nice! I didn't get the slim because they where "out of stock" when I went to order and said oh well. Haha. I don't know why I went with the color temps I did, I know i didn't want anything blue. I think I looked at the DDM temp chart. I like them little to no blue in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skew12 View Post
Nice write up

Marked for later.
Thanks man
Old 07-12-2012, 03:04 PM
War is the answer!

Yes I don't like a lot of blue. The 5000k is pretty much pure white.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.