So I have been curious as to how people mount the ballasts of their HIDs for their fog lights. With nothing of a straight answer I took the bumper off to find the best way. Short wires and mounting surfaces were my limiting factor. The kit is DDM tunings Raptor kit (wish it was the slim ballasts).
1) Bumper removal:
Instructions (for an 05)
Don't forget to unplug the current fog light bulbs before you remove the bumper!
2) I am going to be zip-tieing mine to the fog light brackets, but with the bottom edge being slanted, it isn't a very sure way of doing it. Remove the old bulbs, becareful when twisting them out of the socket, the plastic is dry and can snap very easily, it did to mine.
How it is going to look finished:
3) When you get the HID bulb there will be wires you don't need (they are hooked up to anything on either end of the bulb). Those can get removed from the shield, sorry I don't have a pic.
4) Next collect some zip ties, at least 10 - 12in length ones. A hole will need to be drilled on the fog light bracket the size of the zip tie, down at the bottom. This is to help secure the ballast because there isnt a good point here to.
5) Place the ballast on the bracket, however you would like it to face, and throw 3 zip ties on it as shown. Cut off any excess.
6) Plug the corresponding connections in on the bulb to ballast. Pay attention to which terminal is positive on the other connection on the ballast.
7) Mount the bumper back up in reverse of removal.
8) Plug the existing fog light connection from the truck into the ballasts, paying attention that the red side of the connector goes to the positive side on the ballast.
9) Turn truck on and test.
I sometimes will get an issue with only one side turning on or it blowing fuses. A quick way to fix the fuses is update the 10a fog light fuse to a 15a fuse. This is not recommended, but the only time it draws a lot of current is during firing (startup). The best way to fix it is get a relay pack for them and use it that way.
Hopefully this helps and ask questions if you need!