Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   General 6.0L Discussion (http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/)
-   -   New Aftermarket Dorman Oil Cooler for the 6.0 Powerstroke Part# 904-228 $164.99 Ebay (http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/260227-new-aftermarket-dorman-oil-cooler-6-0-powerstroke-part-904-228-164-99-ebay.html)

muddy650 07-17-2012 05:54 AM

WTF! Now its at $249! Does that make it better? Ha Ha!

Tuscany 07-17-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddy650 (Post 3162466)
WTF! Now its at $249! Does that make it better? Ha Ha!

stil 157.79 at rockauto.com

06DZL 07-17-2012 06:45 AM

A friend of mine just ordered the Dorman oil cooler. Ill compare it to my used ford cooler and note any obvious differences.

I see the ebay link is now $250 as Muddy said, at that price i would defiantly get the ford unit for $20 more. But also rockauto still has them for $157 which is where my buddy got his from.

squirelly87 07-17-2012 09:12 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of the Dorman oil and egr coolers. Just recieved them today. They both look good. The oil cooler has a genuine hpop screen and all the gaskets. The egr cooler comes with intake gaskets and turbo hardware kit.

squirelly87 07-17-2012 09:13 AM

4 Attachment(s)
more pictures

DieselFab67 07-17-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirelly87 (Post 3162715)
Here are some pictures of the Dorman oil and egr coolers. Just recieved them today. They both look good. The oil cooler has a genuine hpop screen and all the gaskets. The egr cooler comes with intake gaskets and turbo hardware kit.

Chinese. Looks like its from the same company that tried to sell us coolers.

It's also the shorter cooler. In other words, its the early design.

Loubell 07-18-2012 08:48 AM

Seriosly, If you use that cooler, I would at least run different gaskets. Chinese made gaskets, rubber, plastic, vinyl, etc. has a poor track record in my experience. I'd HATE to have to tear back into it 20 months from now because of a little O-ring.

T diesel 07-18-2012 09:49 AM

Chinese POS.
Treat their people like sh#@.
Can't stand that government!

jayrw123 08-26-2012 10:34 PM

When I first posted this comment on the Dorman oil cooler the price was 166.00 with free shipping. I noticed this seller on ebay is constantly changing his prices. Now he is selling these new Dorman Coolers for 160.65, and it looks like he has sold 75 oil coolers so far. A friend of my that owns a Diesel shop has used several of these new Dorman coolers and has had no problems with them so far. I was a Tech for a local Ford Dealer and opened up his own Diesel Shop and pretty much all he services are the 6.0's. Its amazing with all the Diesel Shops in my area, and the only trucks you see in all the shops are Fords. My friend says the 6.4 is a complete another story!

NYC F-350 08-27-2012 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuscany (Post 3160649)
you can maintain your cooling system to a T and it can and still will clog your oil cooler and egr cooler (granted its still on the truck) so that statement isn't entirely true.

Since Ford has changed their meaning of what a "properly maintained" cooling system is not that long ago, nobody has "properly maintained" their cooling system from day 1.
Quote:

Now thats not saying that I don't agree with you at all, if you spend the time and money and maintain your cooling system sometimes it will pay off and you won't have to worry about these problems. That said I agree that the BPD is the only proven bypass oil cooler on the market but spending 2k on one before you install it isn't the answer for everyone and its not a fix all solution for everyone. It has it's place with certain applications and certain types of builds but not all. In my case I would rather spend 250 on an oem oil cooler and replace it the right way by flushing before hand and doing reverse flushes and chemical flushes then replacing the oil cooler and adding a coolant filtration kit to try to stop it from happening again. And in the case that it may happen again I would gladly replace it again for another $250 bucks the way I see it i could replace the stock oil cooler 8 times for the price of one BPD remote oil cooler kit. Again I'm not bashing their product as I believe they have a great one but for the price I would personally do it myself with and OEM 8 times which is unrealistic that I would ever do that many oil cooler replacements in the life of the truck let alone the time that I would own it.

I would rather drop a little more cash now, and NEVER have to deal with the issue again. One and done (for me). My time is worth something to me also. The "next time" I had to do an oil cooler, I would probably be buried with work and would have to pay someone else to do the job. That runs about 1200-1600 (depending if I get it done in NH or NYC). That math made it a no-brainer for me, in my situation.
Quote:

If you flush with the original oil cooler to flush all the contaminants into it and then remove it and replace it and add a coolant filter there really isn't any reason you should have this problem again unless you refilled with ford gold coolant or another coolant with silicate in it.

:doh: I could post links here that contradict that...