Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   General 6.0L Discussion (http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/)
-   -   New Aftermarket Dorman Oil Cooler for the 6.0 Powerstroke Part# 904-228 $164.99 Ebay (http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/260227-new-aftermarket-dorman-oil-cooler-6-0-powerstroke-part-904-228-164-99-ebay.html)

DieselFab67 07-14-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russ_ (Post 3158378)
While I know absolutely nothing about the quality of the Dorman oil cooler, I do have some experience with the "quality" of some other Dorman parts. I bought a used 4runner that had some minor collision damage and a Dorman axle shaft kit (shaft, beating, seal, retainer, and lug nuts) was one of the replacement parts. Compared to the OE shaft, it was poorly made even by eyeball inspection. The heat treating was way off, so it was too soft to handle having bearings pressed on or off without galling. The dimensions on the bearing surfaces were undersize, leading to inadequate press fit and allowing the inner race on the wheel bearing to spin. I ended up pitching it and finding an OE shaft from a recycler. Even one of the lug nuts twisted in half when I was working on it. From the texture of the metal where it broke, you could tell it was cast! Cast lug nuts?!?

I know this is my first post here, so take it or leave it. But I have been wrenching on my own vehicles for 25 years and I won't knowingly put a hard part from Dorman in any of them after my experience with the 4runner.

That has been my experience as well. Window regulator hell... Lol

smokersteve 07-14-2012 07:49 AM

I got the Dorman egr cooler and it was a nice part. so far no issues. When I got the egr cooler earlier this year I did not know they also had an oil cooler, I would have gotten that too.

DieselFab67 07-14-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokersteve (Post 3158408)
I got the Dorman egr cooler and it was a nice part. so far no issues. When I got the egr cooler earlier this year I did not know they also had an oil cooler, I would have gotten that too.

I think it's a pretty new release.

TorqueMasterG 07-15-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokersteve (Post 3158408)

Also - the Dorman EGR cooler is made in China and has the radiator-style fins inside, just like the original square-style EGR cooler.

white59rt 07-15-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by at0075 (Post 3157992)
Well it did if you have the extra cash to fork out for the bulletproof system but untill then people will continue to buy oem coolers all day long. They are gettin filthy rich off us 6.0 owners. One day I will get the bulletproof when I can swing it but for now it's oem coolers lol

Well leaving the bulletproof system aside I will say that $600M in warranty claims due to oil coolers clogging (or at least a GOOD percentage in that amount) is a major FAIL of a backfire, LOL!

I think with a clean well maintained cooling system using an ELC coolant and the bulletproof EGR is a recipe for success in not having the oem cooler clog.

Just my .02 and the way I went with my truck - oh and the bastards at bullet proof were not giving free samples of oil cooler kits the day I called LOL!!!!!!!!! Bullet proof diesel is TOP NOTCH though - I called at 3pm and they got my EGR cooler out the same day so I could have it in time to take my truck to the dealer. Should I have another issue with an OEM cooler for whatever reason they get my business for an oil cooler kit no questions asked just based on GRADE A customer service!! :) - They also have some other goodies I want now *cough* waterpump and radiator *cough* :)

Todd

bismic 07-15-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorqueMasterG (Post 3159915)
Also - the Dorman EGR cooler is made in China and has the radiator-style fins inside, just like the original square-style EGR cooler.

Thanks for this post! I emailed the Dorman Technical folks asking this very question - hopefully they will answer the email.

It amazes me that people still want to gamble when known quality parts exist. Folks that can work on their own vehicle probably know the risk that they are taking, but many others that read the posts and decide to jump in ......... well they are risking large repeat bills to pay.

I truly do not know why anyone would knowingly risk burying a part from China fairly deep into their 6.0L engine.

I too agree that BPD has some very high quality parts! I am glad to give this American company my business!

at0075 07-15-2012 06:28 PM

Yeah the did have a lot of claims but what about the millions of dollars from people like me with no warranty who spend thousands to fix my vehicle. Year after year? Lol just my .02 cents

muddy650 07-15-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bismic (Post 3160253)
Thanks for this post! I emailed the Dorman Technical folks asking this very question - hopefully they will answer the email.

It amazes me that people still want to gamble when known quality parts exist. Folks that can work on their own vehicle probably know the risk that they are taking, but many others that read the posts and decide to jump in ......... well they are risking large repeat bills to pay.

I truly do not know why anyone would knowingly risk burying a part from China fairly deep into their 6.0L engine.

I too agree that BPD has some very high quality parts! I am glad to give this American company my business!

Most people would love to drop the $2k on a kit! But that is the only KNOWN GOOD QUALITY kit out there! I already know what the OEM will do! So for $165 it is worth a try! Alot better than $$250 plus shipping for a known defective part! I got 6k out of this one!

And I am filtered and ELC'd!

NYC F-350 07-15-2012 06:59 PM

I believe that bismic was referring to the Ford (or International) part, and not necessarily the Bulletproof Diesel oil cooling system.
You can bet the Dorman replacement part is of inferior quality (read: Made in China) and will not last or perform to the same standard as the Ford/International part.
You are also blaming the oil cooler for getting clogged?? That isn't the oil coolers fault. It clogs due to the lack of proper maintenance on your cooling system.

brscott38 07-15-2012 07:27 PM

So is all of fords parts made in the USA? No, im sure half the parts on our trucks come from over seas. So just because this oil cooler is known to be from china how do you know the oem cooler is not from there also. Just because there is a ford part # and ford is an american company does not mean it was made here. They will both clog just as easily so why not buy the cheaper one. If it was a $2000 truck you would buy the cheapest cooler you could find and probably have many years of use from it and think nothing of it. I think these coolers will be fine i had a radiator from them with years of cooling from it on a one ton chevy van.