FICM Repair? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM Repair?

I'm in the middle of "bulletproofing" my newly bought 04 F350 (all the threads on here have been a great help in this project so thanks to all!) The heads are currently at the machine shop getting checked so I've had a little down time to double check everything and make sure I have everything ready to be reinstalled. The one thing I may have overlooked is the FICM, which I never checked the voltage on before the tear down The truck was throwing a code about one of the injectors and ran pretty rough (like it was running on 7 cylinders) prior to tear down, so I just figured it was a clogged injector or something. Well anyway after reading through the forums could this be a problem caused by the FICM? Even if its not the problem caused by the FICM should I send it to FICMrepair.com have them build it up so I can avoid future FICM failure? And if so should I consider a a PHP tune on it like the Atlas 40??

I've been looking around and haven't read too much on FICM tuning so any advice would be great cause I don't know too much about the FICM. Thanks everyone for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

FICM.com =They get great reviews

I went with the Bulletproof Billet selectable voltage half shell FICM myself

both are local to Me and BPD doesn't have the tuning option yet but they are working with PHP to get it rolling but the Atlas 40 is a good choice or order the programmer from PHP and change it as desired

I don't know if FICM.com makes it any tougher when they reflow ? so I decided on a whole new design
Old 07-10-2012, 10:19 AM

Another question to go along with this is when the FICM is cleaned or rebuilt, is it going to go bad again? When looking into this FICM should you go for the upgraded one or just a stock FICM? My dad's FICM went out at 63k miles so in order to make sure the part is "bulletproof" is a new FICM reliable or is it better to upgrade to the Billet selectable voltage half shell?
Old 07-10-2012, 10:30 AM

From what I've personally seen/repaired the resistors have cold solder joints. That's most of the problem. Capacitors have usually checked out within spec and show very low esr (0.00-0.02). Capacitors also have cold sold joints, but aren't as bad as the resistors. Once in a while I get one that was just hammered and although the major components (capacitors, resistors, transistors) read normal something else screwed up and not worth the effort to repair. A repaired ficm I personally believe will last longer than a new half shell replacement from ford. $0.02

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 07-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Premium Member

Call and talk with Ed if you are wondering what He does when he repairs your FICMs.

FICM Repair.com - Your Source for FICM Repair
Old 07-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I recently had mine repaired by Ed. Had the upgrade service done and the Atlas 40 put on it. I can not say enough good things about his service. From out of the truck to back in was 4 days. Truck starts much better, voltages stay constant and the Atlas 40 made a noticeable difference in the low end power. I do not have any other tunes yet though so if you are already tuned you may not notice as large of a difference.

I would recommend Ed to anyone needing a repair and I don't think I have seen anything but praise for his service. To me that says something and is why I went with him.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Looks like I'll have to give Ed a call tomorrow (cause sadly their closed today)

Thanks for all the input everyone!
Old 07-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The FICM is likely not the issue with the injector. Typically if it is the FICM it will throw injector circuit low codes on all injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.