Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Extra o ring in oil cooler rebuild kit

8K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  at0075 
#1 ·
Got the oil cooler assembled and left with one little o ring. I've read something about a threaded insert. Do the 03 early 04s have this, I didn't just pull them all off I pulled one and replaced then another and replace and could not for the life of me figure it out. The oil cooler is bolted back on with the intake but it's bugging me now. Not going any farther untill I know. Thanks

#2 ·
If it is something threaded I didn't remove will it hurt to just leave it seeing how it wasn't disturbed

#3 ·
The only small o rings I remember were on top of the housing....I think....lol

#4 ·
I think it's for the turbo oil feel line where it connects to the oil cooler housing. Since the early 03s are a different fitting than the later ones.

#5 ·
Mine had a hex head insert that was a push in style and it sat in the housing, some are a thread in style. I think I still have the directions at the shop, I'll check when I get back. That's the only little o-ring I remember tho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#7 ·
Yep, what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#6 ·
I have an early 04 and my oil feed does have an o ring but it has a tear drop thing on top of it to hold it down it's not threaded. You might want to just pull it off and look if you don't have the instruction. At least I would. My kit didn't come with extra anything.

#8 ·
I dont remember seinfeld any insert and I looked forever. My feeding has an o ring and it pushes down into the cover and has one bolt holding the plate it's connected to down. I'll check that. Also if for some reason there was a bolt to thread out. It never got removed so I don't see a problem leaving it. It obviously still has the o ring on it. Is this a problem. I just thought it was an extra. Oil coolers tourqed down as well as intake manifold

#10 ·
Some oil cooler housings have that insert for the o-ring, and some don't. It depends on the year you have.

Mine didn't have the insert that pops out, so I had a extra o-ring.

#11 ·
Well guess I'm just going to have an extra o ring because I didn't remove anything or see anything with that o ring. If It is the threaded bolt then Im going to assume its fine because I didn't remove the gasket but I'm 95 percent sure it didn't have it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.