First 5K mile service coming up. What to expect? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
First 5K mile service coming up. What to expect?

Looks like I'll be going in soon for the first 5k mile service. Any advice/guidance on what to expect from the dealer?

I know these PSDs are a little more picky with regards to service, but other than your normal oil change, is there anything else I should have replaced?

This will be my first service since buying the truck. It had ~35K on it when I bought it and I'm about 600 miles out from the recommended 5k services. I usually do all of my own work/services, but being new to the PSD engine, I figured I'd let the dealer handle the first service or two.

So, how often do you guys have your rigs serviced? Mine mainly sees highway/city driving duty with very minimal towing.

What else should I put on the "list"? Air filter, fuel filter, trans fluid, etc?

Also, what about re-flashing? That seems to be a pretty hot topic for a lot of folks on here. Is this something that would need to be done to a low mileage 05?

I'm guessing most of these should have been addressed/replaced when the truck was traded in, but I have no way of being sure. I do know the coolant reservoir issue (min line is actually max) has been addressed since I noticed the sticker this weekend.

Any guidance you folks could give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2007, 12:34 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil changes are expensive at a dealer and way to easy not to do yourself. Just get 15 quarts of your favorite diesel oil, a 15 quart drain pan and a filter. Takes 10 minutes!! The dealer charges around 120 bucks and you can do it yourself for prolly 55-60 bucks.
I would do a tranny flush at the dealer if your past 35k. Air filter, just inspect it and change that yerself too - tricky the first time but after you get it done once, it aint hard the next time.Other than that, you should be good... just do a general inspection underneath but you prolly won't find anything.
Tranny service is around 130 i think but it may vary from dealer to dealer.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
Oil changes are expensive at a dealer and way to easy not to do yourself. Just get 15 quarts of your favorite diesel oil, a 15 quart drain pan and a filter. Takes 10 minutes!! The dealer charges around 120 bucks and you can do it yourself for prolly 55-60 bucks.
I would do a tranny flush at the dealer if your past 35k. Air filter, just inspect it and change that yerself too - tricky the first time but after you get it done once, it aint hard the next time.Other than that, you should be good... just do a general inspection underneath but you prolly won't find anything.
Tranny service is around 130 i think but it may vary from dealer to dealer.
Excellent info Clay, I certainly appreciate it. That's what I was needing to know. Like I said, typically I do all my own work simply because I hate dealing with dealers. However, since this truck (and engine) is new to me, and I have a pretty good local dealer, I thought I'd let them take care of it.

RE: the oil change - what brands do most folks run around here? Best place to buy oil from? Also, any tips/tricks/guidance to getting the job done right on the PSD?

Same for oil and air filters - what's the usual brand? Best place to buy?

I'll look into the trans flush a little closer. Might can find out if they've already done that prior to selling the truck.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
Also, do you have the maintenance guide in your owners manual? I am trying to make sure I follow that almost to a T. Most people just say to use the motorcraft filters and whichever oil you prefer. If you change it often enough, it shouldn't really matter what brand of oil you use.

some people use these sites for their filter purchases..

FleetFilter.com
powerstrokepartsusa.com - Product Details

Definately check with the dealership you bought your truck from -- they should be able to tell you what work they performed, if any, on the truck before you purchased it.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue01F250 View Post
Also, do you have the maintenance guide in your owners manual? I am trying to make sure I follow that almost to a T. Most people just say to use the motorcraft filters and whichever oil you prefer. If you change it often enough, it shouldn't really matter what brand of oil you use.

some people use these sites for their filter purchases..

FleetFilter.com
powerstrokepartsusa.com - Product Details

Definately check with the dealership you bought your truck from -- they should be able to tell you what work they performed, if any, on the truck before you purchased it.
Thanks Blue, I appreciate the info. I might hold off on taking it to the dealer for a bit and see if I can't get a handle on this myself.

Also plan on checking on that maintainence guide and past maintainence history from the dealer.

Keep the advice coming!

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Banned

no prob bud... also found this -- spells out the basic oil change on a 7.3 -- but is basically the same -- he also gives some good info in the vid I think..

[H]acked By FeriouS - How to change your oil on a 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel.

Definately check on the service history if you can -- I get my oil changed at the dealer only because I pay $75 thanks to my father-in-law working there -- otherwise I'd be doing it myself
Old 10-09-2007, 02:07 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Oil - Rotella T 5w40 i think is what I have been running, i used the Rotella synthetic once and wasn't too impressed. I am going with Amsoil next and gonna try to get 15k miles out of one oil change with it. They claim 25k miles with there 25k mile filter but i don't know if i can go that long.
Oil change is simple, drain it, change the filter located smack dab in the center of the engine compartment on top, and fill er back up. You'll need a 36mm socket to remove the black cap on the filter bowl - its the larger of the two black caps you will see, the small one is your secondary fuel filter. Which speaking of filters, those should be replace for sure is they havne't been recently.
Those are easy to replace also. One on top and one under the drivers seat on the fraimrail...also a 36mm socket and you have to have a socket to get to that one especially if its 4x4 with that extra driveline up front. Those filters will run you about 65 bucks for the two at any auto parts house. I get oil and oil filter at Wal-Mart - they also carry the air filter.
What else.... if i missed anything someone will catch it.
You can do all this in a couple hours with no problem and save a few hundred buck.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

Clay, Brant, thanks again for the help. I'll check out the link and see if I can't run down some oil and filters in the next few days.

Sounds like something I could easily take care of myself. And saving money is never a bad thing!
Old 10-10-2007, 04:50 AM
Banned

especially with "The Money Pit" Camaro you have

hehe, its okay - I have an 82 Trans Am that will be a money pit sooon enough
Old 10-10-2007, 06:18 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue01F250 View Post
especially with "The Money Pit" Camaro you have

hehe, its okay - I have an 82 Trans Am that will be a money pit sooon enough

Haha...man, that car has sucked up so much of my money in the past year and a half it's not even funny. Bad thing is, it's all my own fault. Never can leave anything alone or stock.

Went through a couple different heads and cam setups, two different exhaust systems, two different intakes, two different sets of headers...you name it, I've just about changed it on that car...

Guess I'll never learn....:burnout
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.