New to 6.0 having problems. Help please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 07:23 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to 6.0 having problems. Help please

So i just bought an 04 f250 3 months ago. It has egr delete, 4" turbo back exhaust otherwise pretty much stock. It has been shutting off while its running lately, but will start right back up. Today i was sitting at a light and when i took off it has no power at all. The pedal was to the floor and moving at about 5mph it was blowing black smoke everywhere. I checked ficm numbers about 2 months ago and lowest i saw was around 46.8 any clues what it could be? Ill post a video of what it does when i start it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 07:29 PM

here is the link
i dont have a tuner, or any gauges. took it to auto zone and advance auto parts and it didnt show any codes. Could it be ficm? icp sensor? will post ficm voltage in the morning.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:36 PM

Also sometimes it sounds like the turbo shuts off, you cant hear the whistle anymore.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Chech wiring harnes going to the vgt soloniod on the passenger side of the turbo.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check for codes, if it's stock tuned then the egr delete might be the problem. Ficm might be going south to
Old 07-09-2012, 04:15 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Need to get it on a real scanner. Vatozone ones dont work well with diesels
Old 07-09-2012, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Could be a high pressure oil problem too. Check ICP and IPR DC%
Old 07-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Banned

Not saying that I would completely rule it out but I don't think the hpo system is where the problem would be. My reasoning is that he said he will run it and it will die then it will start back up again. Usually with a high pressure oil leak it will start when cold. It once it warms up and get the oil warm and thin it won't start again after you shut it off (or dies). I would check the turbo for the problems you listed above where it sounds like its not spooling anymore. Also have to agree that your ficm could be on its way out or you got injectors about to drop on you. The egr delete won't cause the truck to shut down on a stock tune file. I had mine deleted with a stick tune file for months til I got my sct and never had it shut down on me. It threw egr codes all the time but that was it. Also I'm not sure when you deleted the egr did you remove your egr valve and put a blocking plate in its place or did you leave the valve in place and hopled up? If you left it in place try pulling it out of the manifold and cleaning it and put back into place then re connect or get the block off plate and put it in its place.

Also your gonna want to get a sct programmer to pull codes and custom tune your truck or edge insight cs/cts so that you can pull codes and monitor your engine while your going down the road. Those two will be able to give you invaluable information with what's going on with your truck. Might also strongly consider pulling the turbo out and pulling it apart and cleaning it then putting it back in. Hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Banned

One more thing change your fuel filters both of them one on top of the engine and the other on the driver side frame rail and drain the water out of the hfcm (bottom filter assy.) via the hex screw on the side just be careful not to strip out the screw head.

Last edited by Tuscany; 07-09-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Banned

Hey you know pgreensvt might just be on to something here it totally slipped my mind. As far as the stalling problem goes what was the build date of your truck I know you said its a 2004 but the build date will confirm or bust my thought here. If you have a model year 2003 truck meaning it was built in 03 but sold in 04 as an 04 than you could be having the infomous ICP probelms the 03's were plagued with. One quick way to check is to look on the front passenger side valve cover for a sensor that's screwed into the valve cover with a wiring pig tail connected to it. If there isn't one that's easily spotted on your valve cover you have a model year 2003 with the sh!tty ICP sensor that's located under the turbo next to the IPR valve. You would have to swap it out and try again but first I would get a good scanner or edge insight and start trying to pull codes to see what you could come up with hope that helps you out a little more in your endevour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.