Advice: About to pull the Trigger 03.5 vs. 07 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice: About to pull the Trigger 03.5 vs. 07

I'm about to pull the trigger on a PSD purchase.

Truck 1 is a 2003.5 F250 CC/SB PSD 4x4 Auto w/ 155k miles it's a Lariat Grey leather interior is solid 9/10 and the extra rare electric blue color. Has a CAI and a MBRP exhaust. Has rims and tires with a leveling kit. Truck had a tuner on it at one time that's all I know. Don't know the tune setting or how hard it has been beat on.

Truck #2 is a 2007 King Ranch CC/SB F250 PSD 4x4 Auto with 240k miles. Carfax report shows truck has had a moderate amount of routine maintenance and been in Florida since new. It is a two owner truck being offered by a Jaguar / Range Rover dealer. Truck is stock with stock exhaust and stock air box and factory 20" rims.

I'm also watching a 2007 Lariat 4x4 on Ebay w/ 237k miles stock as well. Clean interior and trucks shows well. Price is right

Trucks 1 and 2 are exactly the same price but are completely different beast's. I'm in love with 2007 as it has different interior layout and more bells and whistles but the mileage concerns me with not knowing HG/Head studs/Tranny history. Carfax does show recommended maintenace performance after inspection but the records are 1-2yrs old. The 2003.5 has less miles but has the signs it has possibly been beat on due to the upgrades it has.

I've previously owned a 1996 PSD w/ 5spd and had 325k miles and still got 17mpg on 37's. I know the 7.3's can go the distance on mileage.
I had a 99 Cummins 4x4 auto w/ 250k miles and had vp44 issues and tranny issues. Been down diesel drama lane before.

I guess main question being how scared should i be with a 2007 with higher mileage? I'm not interested in a 160hp tuners. Only custom tune I'm worried about is for towing. I have a 27ft boat I want to tow and use the truck as a 2nd vehicle. Aside from checking the coolant for signs of HG issues and smelling and checking the fluids what would some of the PSD community do in this situation? I already missed out on a 2005 Harley Davidson Edition F250 because of hesitation on mileage. If i was worried about MPG I would buy a 03+ Cummins w/ 6spd and get 24-27 mpg all day stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome to the org. A 6.0 can go the distance on milage also. I vote 07 all day. Either one could have had a tuner and been substantially beat on and you'd never know. Someone could have just put the stock exhaust back on the 07 after their fun. I mean, I wouldn't buy a 6.0 expecting to not do the headgaskets/studs eventually unless it already had it done, jmo. You can still build that 240k motor into a solid reliable workhorse and have the great 07 look and coil spring suspension, it's that much better also imo.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I spent all day going thru the 6.0 forums doing research before I even registered to get a feel for the site. I feel the same way you do about the 07. Being a King Ranch it will have greater value in the long run and the Mileage will eventually even out in a couple years as I will not drive it 50k a year like has to this point. I've been PSD shopping for quite a while now and never even considered an 07 as I figured their prices would be stupid. I fell in love with the look and stance of the truck right off the bat. Even if not the King Ranch that other 07 Lariat I'm watching is another great candidate. Like I mentioned before I've had high mileage diesels before and they have gone both directions.

With the 07 having 240k miles how many times does the community think that transmission has been gone into or at least a Torque Converter done? I've seen on the forums some transmission dumping at 80k miles and some dumping at 175K miles. I know its all dependent on the life style of the truck.

How likely is that transmission to go 240k miles without being gone into?

Do the stock injector's have a reliability factor at 240k miles?

On average at 240k miles what would have typically been replaced on this truck from previous historical failures? I'm figuring 50k mile a year average something on this truck has failed. That's some hard riding in 5yrs for it to survive unscathed

I'm a firm believer in if it ain't broke don't fix but there is the preventive maintenance theory. Pay a little now or pay a lot later.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Actually 50K a year indicates a lot of highway miles which is easy mileage for a 6.0. Stop and go, and short trips would be considered severe duty. Divide the engine hrs into the mileage for a mph average. The higher the number the better.

The most important thing the 6.0 needs is a monitor. The Edge CS/CTS are great and the ScangaugeII is adequate with a couple of additional gauges. You absolutely need to monitor the 6.0 in order to catch any developing issue immediately before they can cascade into catastrophic repair bills.

The trans should have the fluid changed every 30k miles. If taken care of the 5r110 is a very stout transmission. Injectors are finicky and it is best to use a full synthetic 5w40 motor oil and meticulous maintenance to keep them happy. As for any issues, monitor the truck and deal with them promptly as they come up. No need to think you need to sink thousands of $$$ into bulletproofing right from the start.

I would consider looking at the 05-07 for the interior and suspension. If you keep looking I'm sure you can find a lower mileage truck that is affordable.

Take a monitor with you when you check out the trucks if you can. Check the EOT vs ECT temp delta. This will tell you the condition of the oil cooler. If the delta is over 15* when warmed up and cruising at 65-70* empty the oil cooler is shot and needs replacing. If the delta is pretty large you could be looking at a ruptured EGR cooler and possible head gasket issues as well. Check FICM voltage. If it drops below 46.5v while cranking over or cold or any other time the FICM is on it's way out, but that could also mean the batteries are on their way out or the Alternator is weak. The cascade effect of bad batteries or alternator is wiping out the FICM and Injectors.

Oh yeah, don't forget the gearhead theory. If it ain't broke fix it till it breaks.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:28 AM
The Silent Service

I wouldn't be too worried about the high mileage, unless the truck was used to tow alot and heavy.

As mentioned the monitor is the key to successful 6.0L ownership. I like the body and features of the '05-'07 trucks, and think the motors after Jan '06 are reliable. You must learn what to montitor and why. I have a sticky in the General 6.0L section that will help you out.

The automatic's longevity is very dependant on tuning. Stock it will last for quite some time. Tuning with a SCT with good tunes won't degrade that. Any other tuner that relys on the relearn vs. actually tuning the 5R110 and you will kill it.

For mileage, there are a number of options, biggest reason I'm tuned is mileage. A turbo is my next upgrade in that department.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Pretty much all has been said like they said high miles dont worry. I have 222k on mine no studs stock original tranny and my daily driver tune is a race tune and I beat on my truck and take it to the track and beat on it even more. I do 12lb 4wd boosted launches and runs like a dream
Old 07-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So far no nightmare stories which is good. Thanks for all the insight and advice thus far. I'm readin and taken notes!
Old 07-08-2012, 04:45 PM
The Silent Service

If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok now say the game just changed and I got my hands on a 2008 SC/SB 4x4 6.4 XLT Lariat w/ 160k miles Black with Tan leather clean truck in the same price ballpark as the 2007 King Ranch. Who prefer the 2008 over the 2007?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:27 AM
The Silent Service

Unless you start doing your homework on the '08 trucks, and are willing to do the tune and DPF deletions once you pick it up. I'd stay with the '07 6.0L.

The 6.4L has a lot of potential, but it is crippled by the emissions equipement. Both in mileage, and as time rolls on it will show in the longevity of those trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.