Like to Introduce myself, my F550, and a potential High EOT problem. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Like to Introduce myself, my F550, and a potential High EOT problem.

First, I would like to introduce myself and my truck. I have been a member since 2010 and would like to thank the board for all the great info. Its been my powerstroke bible. I own a 2003 F550 crew cab with a bed. I do have some concerns with delta number and high EOT. To give you some history on my truck..105k miles, studded, EGR delete, S&B intake, SCT Innovated custom tunes, Rotella T6 oil and 488 gears.

A couple weeks ago my truck reached ECT/EOT as high as 226/249. This was while towing 10k lbs from the hitch on a hot day, I also noticed my AC was blowing hot while at a stop so I figured my Fan clutch was bad and sure enough I brought it in and got a new fan clutch.

That solved the AC problem but my deltas and EOT seem a little high still. I do have Gold coolant and Im waiting for the IPR coolant filter to come out before doing my Rotella ELC flush with restore and +.

Now, running around town with no trailer my deltas are less than 10 and my EOT rarely gets above 200. Even with a 5klbs trailer in town my deltas are within 12 and my EOT doesnt get above 215.

My problem is towing on the highway...I dont know if these temps are due to my 488 gears and very high rpms or what but for example the other day I had an empty trailer of 5k lbs cruising at 75mph @ 2800 RPMs and my ECT/EOT were 216/240 it was 104 degress out, I was running an innovated custom street tune and turbo was a steady 13psi. Now here is the reason I think its due to the gearing and RPMs...I decided to slow down to 60mph @ 2200 rpms turbo at 5psi and within minutes I was at 194/216.

I often tow a car trailer with a single vehicle and cruising at 80mph on the highway is what I prefer and with it being a 550 I cant even feel the load but the EOT and delta at that speed worry me. Do you think the high EOTs are due to running such high RPMs? Do you think the oil cooler is starting to fail?

Im wanting to do a coolant flush with Rotella ELC, IPR or another coolant filter, and thermostat and see what happens....ANY and ALL comments are welcomed. Thanks again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Either way flush FIRST - then see where you are at. If the oil cooler isnt clogged now it may be after the flush - I clogged mine 2 weeks ago on my flush.

It does sound like your oil cooler is partially gummed up but towing isnt the best way to get delta numbers, I may have missed it but what are your cruising numbers with no towing load?

*EDIT* That is a clean sweet looking rig BTW!!

Todd
Old 07-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by white59rt View Post
Either way flush FIRST - then see where you are at. If the oil cooler isnt clogged now it may be after the flush - I clogged mine 2 weeks ago on my flush.

It does sound like your oil cooler is partially gummed up but towing isnt the best way to get delta numbers, I may have missed it but what are your cruising numbers with no towing load?

*EDIT* That is a clean sweet looking rig BTW!!

Todd
cruising (in town) numbers with no load are fine both EOT and delta, as far as highway numbers I have to check bc Im never on the highway without a load.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:07 PM

Considering the mileage i would go ahead and flush the system to be on the safe side then change the oil cooler. Also if i remember correct the truck should go into limp mode when the oil temp reaches 253. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:32 PM

Ur deltas might get higher with a flush, try reverse flushing
Old 07-07-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f350powerstroke View Post
Ur deltas might get higher with a flush, try reverse flushing
More than likely they will go up. I had less than 10* delta on my truck but was planning on doing studs and gaskets so i went ahead and did the chemical flush. After the flush i had 30* deltas but probably would have came out with a backflush.

After i did my initial chemical flush and cleaning i filled with distilled water and drove it for a day or 2 to catch any more loose debris in the old cooler.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06DZL View Post
More than likely they will go up. I had less than 10* delta on my truck but was planning on doing studs and gaskets so i went ahead and did the chemical flush. After the flush i had 30* deltas but probably would have came out with a backflush.

After i did my initial chemical flush and cleaning i filled with distilled water and drove it for a day or 2 to catch any more loose debris in the old cooler.
Im going to do a full fill n flush process with restore and restore + and install new thermostat, if delta goes up then I will do a reverse flush on oil cooler and radiator. If that doesnt solve the issue them im prepared to get BPD oil cooler and water pump and go ahead and to their radiator too.

The weird thing is my deltas and EOT are perfect driving around town in traffic etc, just get high EOT and delta while towing and driving over 65MPH, i think it has alot to do with 488 gears and a HEAVY truck. Im cruising close to 3000 rpms with 10klbs behind me.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:54 PM

Delts matter most unloaded... if there fine unloaded let it be.. ecm will limp before any damage happens....
Old 07-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokedieself250 View Post
Delts matter most unloaded... if there fine unloaded let it be.. ecm will limp before any damage happens....
Delts unloaded on highway are prob around 15 but Im thinking its bc of the 4.88 gears and running high rpms
Old 07-08-2012, 07:02 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jl4punch2 View Post
Delts unloaded on highway are prob around 15 but Im thinking its bc of the 4.88 gears and running high rpms
it would make sense, have you towed after the new fan clutch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.