DIY head gasket project. Lots of pics! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DIY head gasket project. Lots of pics!

So driving my truck the other day I get this funny beep and my odometer said check gauges, I say wtf and look over and my coolant temp is 266*. Oh damn not good so I pull it over to find enough pressure built up in the bottle to dump elc coolant all over the highway. Hmm this is awesome considering this whole motor got replaced a year ago with studs delete all that crap. So I tow the turd home and start the diag. Wouldn't you just know it I have a blown head gasket (black onyx gaskets). Okay cool I'm just dying to spend another $1200.00 on this damn thing that got almost $15,000 in to it last year. So I start the tear down. I'm not paying someone for this crap like I did last time. It's easy! I figure if I can't do it cab on I have no business doing what I do. (I'm a mechanic for a local front end shop with a stupid expensive education saying I should be capable Of doing heads gaskets on a 6 leaker.) Found a lot of cut corners from the shop that did the work last time. That's a whole nother thread on those azz hats! Anyway here's some pics of the tear down. Any questions feel free to ask! If your thinking of trying this or paying someone to do it my best advice for you is grow a pair and get to work. It's not that bad at all!
I'll have more pics up tonight. Sitting at a family function and can't get this life controlling iPhone of mine to upload more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY head gasket project. Lots of pics!-imageuploadedbyautoguide1341679767.070891.jpg   DIY head gasket project. Lots of pics!-imageuploadedbyautoguide1341679796.949391.jpg   DIY head gasket project. Lots of pics!-imageuploadedbyautoguide1341679826.943247.jpg   DIY head gasket project. Lots of pics!-imageuploadedbyautoguide1341679856.037177.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012, 12:25 PM

I hope u use oem gaskets next time.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Premium Member

that sucks post up more pic for us to see
Old 07-07-2012, 02:21 PM

I asked for factory's last time and found out after 3 months of bs and $15,000 to the shop that did the work they were black onyx gaskets. I had a lot of problems with the shop and I was not about to give them my truck for a second or another dime of my money. I knew better then, the "reputable" shop did not. That's why I'm doing it this time. It's gonna go my way not the recommended way from some cummins driving hack of a shop owner.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Premium Member

you should PM me the name so I don't go there,,, I have been fighting a fuel problem on mine that i can't figure out so I was thinking about taking it in somewhere.
good luck on the project I'm sure you'll be fine, do you have someone lined up to check your heads?
Old 07-08-2012, 05:25 AM
Ahhh Hell Butch!!!!

Subscribed! Although my gaskets are fine now (according to the stealership), I am hoping to the studs one at a time.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:27 AM

I still can't believe the OP is a mechanic and paid $15,000 for repair work on a truck that could've been paid off (?) and traded in or done right the 1st time around! U have nooo luck buddy..
Old 07-08-2012, 06:07 PM

At the time I had no place to do the work, i was having some family problems that wouldnt allow me to do the work there and i lived in an apartment. I tried to pay it off and get out of it but the way my loan was i really had no choice. Also didn't find out what it was gonna cost til the shop had me by the balls. Otherwise I would have never payed anyone to do it. Oh and sir you are 1,000,000,000,000% right on the no luck part.
Any way no updates yet. Gotta figure out where I'm getting parts then order em so probably be end of the week before anything else happens. Can anyone recommend a good place for what I need. Mkm customs had a heads up gasket set that looked to be a pretty good deal but guess what head gaskets are in the package?! Not factory's! My cost for everything through ford is like 900 bucks. I'm sure I can beat that somewhere online. I already shopped local parts houses and it will be pretty close price wise.

Last edited by skooter; 07-08-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
well if you lived in ohio i could get you 10% below cost through the local dealer but that can't happen now lol. I would say google toulsey ford and call their parts department. I always see their name on the .org for where to buy factory parts from online or over the phone as most dealers won't touch their prices. i'm sure that others will join in and help you out with where to look but that would be where i would start if i was you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.