What's a guy gotta do to get his turbo swapped around here??? (w/pics) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 07:06 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
What's a guy gotta do to get his turbo swapped around here??? (w/pics)

This past weekend, I decided to take a break from the 113*F heat and swap out my PowerMax for my MTW Stage 1 turbo at my buddy's cabin. It's about 85* and two hours away in Prescott, so the scene will be PERFECT! I figured we would drive up on Friday night after work and do the turbo swap first thing Saturday morning, which would leave the remainder of the day for celebrating with lots of cold beer! Well, that was a good plan…

We got everything staged for pulling the PowerMax… Yes, that box looks like it has seen better days. Thankfully, the turbo was unharmed. PS. That step from BPD is worth it's weight in GOLD... I have used it on countless jobs and before I got it, I would have bet that it wouldn't get hardly used. I now use it for almost every job on my truck.

Pausing for a photo op for the camera. PS. That’s my neighbor and also BulletProof Diesel’s newest employee. (He drives a Chevy with a Duramax…. BOOOOOO!!!!)
That pad that he’s laying on prevents your ribs from getting crushed while laying over the engine.

For those of you that followed my FICM swap, we used the same technique to put bolts in the coolant lines to prevent them from leaking and then just tucked them out of the way.

Removing some more parts to get the old turbo out.

Yes, that is the “old” style turbo feed line, which is going to be replaced by the upgraded “rigid” feed line.

All was going well, until we got to that stubborn back pedestal bolt. I felt like I was going to bend that breaker bar in half! Unfortunately, I used a 12 point socket on a 6 point bolt and it ended up getting rounded off!!! The sad part is that I KNOW better!!!

So, after cussing and swearing for the next half hour, I realize it is just not going to happen, so we decide to put it back together again.
Then, I happen to notice this. Not sure what happened here, but it looks like I have some oil on my bypass oil filter head. Gonna have to check that out once I get back into town.

After that, we hop in the truck and head over to pick up a washing machine from Home Depot and to the store to get some beer. I take it easy on the trip there and back and all went well.
So as we are enjoying our refreshing beverages, the power goes out due to a blown transformer and it stayed out for about 12 hours…

When we get back, I go online and order a set of bolt extractors so I can get that damned bolt out. Since I bought my MIL a Kindle Fire a few weeks ago for Mother’s Day, I was given 2 day shipping on it. SWEET! I can get this thing done THIS WEEKEND… So the box arrives yesterday and upon opening it, realize that it is the “old school” easy out-style… It’s designed for drilling out the bolt and then using the extractor like a reverse drill bit.

SO this morning, I bought the correct set from Amazon and it will be here next week. Besides, it’s going to be 110* this weekend and I didn’t want to swap a turbo in this heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 07:10 AM
The Silent Service

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Following this, curious to see what you have to say about the MTW Stage 1 vs. Stock vs. Pmax.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I kept waiting for the..."and then they were out of beer" lol! sorry to here about your luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 07-06-2012, 07:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
craftsmen makes these

17 pc. Super Sockets Rounded Bolt Remover, Metric- Grip Tite-Tools-Wrenches, Ratchets & Sockets-Socket Sets

they work!

I bought both the metric and standard
Old 07-06-2012, 07:26 AM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
Following this, curious to see what you have to say about the MTW Stage 1 vs. Stock vs. Pmax.
Yeah, I can't wait to see what it's like with the toy hauler hooked up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xu67585 View Post
I kept waiting for the..."and then they were out of beer" lol! sorry to here about your luck.

Thankfully, we got the last 18 Bud Lite Lime's... BEFORE the power went out
Quote:
Originally Posted by scha0786 View Post
I saw those on Amazon, but the Sears over by my house didn't seem to stock them AND there weren't as many reviews as the Irwin extractors. I wish I would have posted this up earlier this week to see who had experience with them. In the 20+ years I have been wrenching (as a shade tree mechanic ), believe it or not, I have always been able to get the bolts/screws out without using an extractor.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:28 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Sounds good!

Can't wait for a review
Old 07-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xu67585 View Post

LOL!! Exactly what I was thinking!!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Shawn, it sounds to me like that turbo is tell you something. "Don't put me in Shawn, send me to John's house". You should probably listen to it, turbos usually know what they're talking about.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Shawn, it sounds to me like that turbo is tell you something. "Don't put me in Shawn, send me to John's house". You should probably listen to it, turbos usually know what they're talking about.
Are you still on pain meds from your accident??? I don't think I have EVER heard my turbo say anything EXCEPT wwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrr...
Old 07-06-2012, 07:37 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Thats right baby..... rub it the right way and it'll go wwwwhhhhiiiirrrr ALL DAY LONG

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.