Deltas hovering around 11* and scaring me. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 07-04-2012, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 124
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Deltas hovering around 11* and scaring me.

Well I took the truck for a drive after a coolant flush and oil change and deltas before and after seem to be hovering around 11*. I once saw 13* and the higher number is scaring me a little. Don't want to have problems so I guess I will be looking to change the oil cooler within the next 10,000 miles. Truck is a 2003 with 133,000 miles on it. It recieved head gaskets at 85,000 from Ford and a new turbo at 95,000 also from Ford. Anyone else got delta* in the 10*-13* range without issues?
seeemmiss is offline  
post #2 of 23 Old 07-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 1,127
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeemmiss View Post
Well I took the truck for a drive after a coolant flush and oil change and deltas before and after seem to be hovering around 11*. I once saw 13* and the higher number is scaring me a little. Don't want to have problems so I guess I will be looking to change the oil cooler within the next 10,000 miles. Truck is a 2003 with 133,000 miles on it. It recieved head gaskets at 85,000 from Ford and a new turbo at 95,000 also from Ford. Anyone else got delta* in the 10*-13* range without issues?
Sometimes when you do a coolant flush the trash gets caught in your oil cooler.
Moto2four is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 07-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Galaxie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Robinson Twp PA (Pittsburgh)
Posts: 4,539
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
How are you running your truck?
Loaded?
Running hard?
Is this well after you are warmed up?
Are these QUICK spikes or are the temps riding out?

I am assuming you are speaking of the oil being the higher temp which a coolant flush wont help.

Colin
59-68Galaxies, Fairlanes
54 Ford Skyliner Glass Top
60 Country Sedan Wagon
87/93 5.0s 347
Buy/Sell/Trade/Service 40s50s60s cars!
06 F350 Dark Stone XLT FX4
SCTX3 Custom Tunes
ARP Head Studs
EGR Cooler gone
MBRP Stright Pipe
Edge Insight
20" Harleys 35" AT2
2011 Tailgate
Eaton TrueTrac
2" Leveling
Black Windows/lights
Blue Spring
03 Turbo
Galaxie is offline  
post #4 of 23 Old 07-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
F250SixOH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 1,035
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just put your right foot down and keep going haha
F250SixOH is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 07-04-2012, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 124
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
How are you running your truck?
Loaded?
Running hard?
Is this well after you are warmed up?
Are these QUICK spikes or are the temps riding out?

I am assuming you are speaking of the oil being the higher temp which a coolant flush wont help.
I was running at 65 on rolling hills of north Georgia. The truck was empty and it was good and warm. The temp spead was somewhat of a spike to around 13-14 degrees with the arverage being 10-11 degree difference. Oil never got over 209 and coolant was around 198. I guess I have a partially clogged cooler and will just keep watching until it gets over 15 degree between the two. On side roads, the temps stay around an 8 degree difference.
seeemmiss is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 07-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 1,127
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeemmiss View Post
I was running at 65 on rolling hills of north Georgia. The truck was empty and it was good and warm. The temp spead was somewhat of a spike to around 13-14 degrees with the arverage being 10-11 degree difference. Oil never got over 209 and coolant was around 198. I guess I have a partially clogged cooler and will just keep watching until it gets over 15 degree between the two. On side roads, the temps stay around an 8 degree difference.
That's the same thing mine is doing. It's getting a new oil cooler Monday.
Moto2four is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 07-04-2012, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 124
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Let me know what the old one looks like so I will know how clogged it really is (in theory).
seeemmiss is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 07-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 1,127
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeemmiss View Post
Let me know what the old one looks like so I will know how clogged it really is (in theory).
It will be warranty, but I'll ask the tech if I can run by and see it when he pulls the old one out. After the 03-07 oil cooler probs it seems ford would increase the size of the coolant passages.
Moto2four is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 07-04-2012, 04:02 PM
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
 
ZMANN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16,300
Thanks: 728
Thanked 814 Times in 783 Posts
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
a 2008 6.0?


OP your deltas are at the outer limit but not over ,, save up and get her done but many folks who do not monitor are way over that and unless you have the latest flash they won't know it (reduced power)

.
.
.
Please donate to DTR Ron's Memorial
https://www.gofundme.com/2464axqr
We Miss you Ronnie
RIP
ZMANN is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 07-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orange County, Tx
Posts: 60
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Seeemmiss,

Mine is an '04 with 120K miles. I am running the same delta's that you are, and have been for almost two years now. I am not OVERLY concerned because, whether running 65mph in summer, winter, pulling my fully loaded trailer or even empty, I run those same delta's. Also, when I slow down from highway speeds, my delta temps drop quickly to about an 8 degree delta. I'm certainly not suggesting that you wait it out, I'm just saying that I am closely watching mine for the time being. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
Roger
Saltfishr is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome