Safe or not - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Safe or not

My truck is my only mode of transportation right now being as my jeep is having the front end rebuilt right now. I have a noticeable leak coming from the drivers side up pipe expansion joint. Its audible in the cab of the truck and there is black soot around the firewall where its cracked. My question is it safe to drive if I take it easy on the truck? I'm just worried about turbo damage or fire. I'm trying to run down a new pipe or I was thinking about ordering a new joint and welding it in. Anyone whos had this problem let me know what you did. I really need to be mobile and am suppose to be 100 miles way by tomorrow at 7

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 08:06 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
You could smell crap. Assume it is worse when its cold.

You could have low boost too. And it could get worse if you leave it. How horrible? We had work trucks with y pipes cracked causing the same issue for 100k. lol
Old 07-04-2012, 08:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the response I haven't had the truck fully hot since it cracked. It cracked when I did the egr delete I'm assuming, but the previous 2000 miles it has smelled fumey in the cab upon start up in the morning but goes away. For a temporary substitute would it be ok to get some exhaust wrap that they use on the headers and wrap that joint to keep it to a minimum. Hopefully I can get a pipe tomorrow or Friday.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

ive seen trucks run for thousands of miles with cracked/leaking up pipes. they smell, don't run very well, but I don't remember any permanent damage being done. I suppose you could cause complete failure at the crack with repeated heat/cool cycles, but if ir's your only transpo, you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah I guess so. I just called advanced auto and they have exhaust wrap in stock that is rated for 1800 f direct heat and 2500 ambient. I think I'm going to try and wiggle my hands up in there and wrap that joint and secure it with stainless ties. Maybe the extra material will cut down on the fumes and help keep the pipe pressure up....just a 20$ idea haha

Old 07-04-2012, 08:59 AM

remove the up pipe, tack weld the complete pipe in a fixture to hold the pipes in there correct position, cut out the bad flex coupler. you can buy a new stainless steel braided flex coupler from : Treadstoneperformance.com
there was a recent thread of a member doing this exact same thing.
If you want, buy the couplers, remove the complete Y pipe assemply, ship it to me with new flex couplers, and i will cut out the old flex joint and Tig Weld the new couplers in for FREE !

Quote:
Originally Posted by troger11 View Post
My truck is my only mode of transportation right now being as my jeep is having the front end rebuilt right now. I have a noticeable leak coming from the drivers side up pipe expansion joint. Its audible in the cab of the truck and there is black soot around the firewall where its cracked. My question is it safe to drive if I take it easy on the truck? I'm just worried about turbo damage or fire. I'm trying to run down a new pipe or I was thinking about ordering a new joint and welding it in. Anyone whos had this problem let me know what you did. I really need to be mobile and am suppose to be 100 miles way by tomorrow at 7

Old 07-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

No kidding! That sounds great! I just don't know if I can handle the down time. Can you get the couplers from anywhere else local?

Old 07-04-2012, 09:54 AM

dont know about local coupler source. I have wanted to do this to my truck, if i could find a "used complete y pipe" i would but it, replace the couplers, then swap them out, then replace couplers in my original y pipe and sell the spare.

Quote:
No kidding! That sounds great! I just don't know if I can handle the down time. Can you get the couplers from anywhere else local?

Old 07-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well when I get a new pipe ill send you mine and then just send me your old one when you get done!

Old 07-04-2012, 01:40 PM

that might work, although i have the BPD egr cooler, and you have a sinister egr delete, i am not sure of the difference.

Quote:
Well when I get a new pipe ill send you mine and then just send me your old one when you get done!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.