6.o's & Backpressure? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.o's & Backpressure?

A co-worker just got an 05 F-250 crew cab. He just bought a 6" fabtec lift, 37's, and 18's. He wanted to know what to do for more power, and was wondering about straight piping it, but he was worried about backpressure affecting the truck's performance. I told him that my 7.3 it straight but that I couldn't tell him much about the 6.0, but i knew exactly where to get some reliable information. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Banned

someone else could give you better advice but the turbo should give you all the backpressure that you need
Old 10-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Banned

the 6.0's do you use some sort of exhaust back pressure sensor that i've heard can affect the turbo's VGT functioning and vehicle performance if you straight pipe it with stock programming. like i say, i've HEARD this, but i cannot confirm it.

i can tell you that if you get an SCT and a quality set of tunes, you will have NO issues. once you run a performance program you do not want any more backpressure than you have to, and personally i doubt he will have problems stock, but i can't say for sure.

i did notice a slight decrease in boost when i straight piped mine, but it still makes more power and has less lag.

if he is running STOCK programming, he would be better off doing other mods before worrying about a straight pipe. first things would be a quality set of gauges, pyro at the minimum, then boost and trans temp (his stock boost guage will probably be fine, but if he tows, he needs to know the factory tranny temp gauge is not really a gauge at all)
SCT programmer would be next, and then he can do the straight pipe, but at the very least a good cat back will be needed once he gets a programmer.
His stock intake will offer the best in terms of both performance and air filtration for up to 500HP , so no need to worry about spending money there any time soon.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:38 PM

Thanks, just to confirm,(my buddy here is a timid little guy), straight piping the truck with stock tuning shouldn't affect the reliability? How does the edge juice w/attitude stack up for the 6.0's, what are the most popular/ best working tuners/ chips for the 6.0? Sorry to bother with all the questions, but like I said I'm a 7.3 guy looking to help a friend and recruit him to .org!
Old 10-08-2007, 04:42 PM
<--Pro Cooler Racer

Send a message via Skype™ to DKR
SCT with tunes by a GOOD tuner...Innovative Diesel, DJ's, Matt at Spartan...personally I recommend Innovative, thats who I run
Old 10-08-2007, 04:44 PM

Straight piping doesn't change a thing, except help that turbo spool up quicker and get those EGT's down. My exhaust ends 3 feet after my cat with a turn down and the truck runs as good if not better than the day I bought her new.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublniklz View Post
Thanks, just to confirm,(my buddy here is a timid little guy), straight piping the truck with stock tuning shouldn't affect the reliability? How does the edge juice w/attitude stack up for the 6.0's, what are the most popular/ best working tuners/ chips for the 6.0? Sorry to bother with all the questions, but like I said I'm a 7.3 guy looking to help a friend and recruit him to .org!
there is no doubt that the edge juice/attitude makes power. it makes quite a bit of power !! but regardless of what they claim, it has no actual control over the tranny functions (TCM) like the SCT can.

Hands down the SCT flash programmer is the BEST tuner on the market for the 6.0. it is the safest and the smoothest, and has infinitely adjustable tuning capabilities for all the mods of your vehicle.
there is just no other tuner that comes close. it is also far cheaper than the edge, even after you buy your gauges and pod mounts to go with it. I doubt you will hear anyone tell you to pick the edge over the sct.

like i said , straight piping it stock tuning HAS BEEN SAID TO CAUSE PERFORMANCE ISSUES, but i personally do not know if this is true or not. As far as reliability, no, there is no way a cat delete will cause any RELIABILITY issues, quite the opposite as heat is the main killer of diesels.
hope this helps.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the speedy responses. Hopefully this bit of information will help convince him to crawl under his rig with a sawzall and make it happen.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:56 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
straight pipe it and you'll be fine. I was worried at first about back pressure also. The turbo makes it on it's own. I'll be keeping an eye out for a 10" lifted duty around here from now on. Im in the black on black rig that whistles like a horny highschooler at a hot chick.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsey715 View Post
straight pipe it and you'll be fine. I was worried at first about back pressure also. The turbo makes it on it's own. I'll be keeping an eye out for a 10" lifted duty around here from now on. Im in the black on black rig that whistles like a horny highschooler at a hot chick.

.....lmfao. I'll have to keep an eye out for that black rig. I didn't know there where any .org'ers around these parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.