Need help deciding on tuner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help deciding on tuner

I'm looking a getting an SCT, does the live wire eleminate having to get gages or do you still need gages, if so I'm going to go ahead and get the xcal2, any help is greatly appreciated, trying to mod up the truck for the NC event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2007, 03:03 PM

Yes, the livewire is a performance monitor. It replaces a whole bunch of gauges. I don't personally like the look of it, but it should work fine if you like it. I'm still on the fence whether to install a Quadzilla commander or analog gauges myself.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:08 PM

I just know I want a SCT and the live wire is about the same price as getting a xcal2 and boost and pyro gage, so if it will work just the same and eleminate having to buy all the extra gages is it a better deal?
Old 10-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Banned

The LiveWire will do just about everything. I'm starting to wish that I had gone that route. It is not without it's weakness' though. It does not power down when turn the key off. You have to manually turn it off. There is no real good mount system for it and it is LARGE. There have been some screen darkening issues as well.

All in all after the experience that I have had with a Commander so far, I wish I would have gotten the LW. More functions to monitor, performance monitors, real-time accurate readings of what the ECM is seeing and the ability to store more tunes than the Xcal2. My Commander does not accurately read coolant temp nor will it read oil temp unless I were to hook the tranny temp gauge up to read engine oil temp. If I did that I would lose my tranny temp. I do believe that the LW will be more refined in the next year and hopefully perfected.

Another cheaper option for you is the 3 gauge package and pod that DPP has a special on right now. As I recall you get water, boost and pyro gauges with a 3 gauge pod for under $200! For around $600 you could have your tunes and gauges. Remember that the pyro probe for the LW is an additional $200. The $600 price that you usually see advertised for the LW does not include the pyro probe.

By the way, I have been talking with Quazilla's tech support people and their only answer for anything seems to be "try loading the most recent update off of our website". Thank you pre-programmed support person. I have already loaded the latest update.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:50 PM

Thank you for the Input 720deere, that was alot of good info I did not know it was another two hundrede dollars for the pyro prbe.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Banned

i went with analog gauges. easier to read at a glance. the livewire has some bugs still.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:54 PM

get it, it's worth it, and get mine while your at it...

ahhahahaha
Old 10-09-2007, 05:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I went with the Xcal3 and a Commander monitor. Very easy to hook up, integrates better into the vehicle (IMO), and was more cost effective for me than a LiveWire or an Xcal w/ guages. The Commander has worked flawlessly for me... (knock on wood).
Old 10-09-2007, 05:29 AM
I don't know nuttin....

I say get the commander, i have one and any problems i have had with it, the tech support has taken care of. I sent it back in once and it came back working like a charm and it didnt cost a dime.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:41 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
I am currently trying to purchase a commander and will be using it to control my future Wildman chip...

but, if you really want to know how the Livewire is in a 6.0 -- check with Rodslinger -- he has one!

I personally don't like the 3 guage pods and having guages up that high, especially at night.

but either way you do, the xcal3 and guages/commander or livewire -- you'll be good to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.