ECT/EOT Temps - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 10:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ECT/EOT Temps

Quick Background-2004 6.0. Std. Transmission. Truck weighs approx. 13,000 lbs with the service body. Have an edge insight CTS, but otherwise bone stock.

After I replaced my stuck thermostat last year my ECT was about 190*, EOT was ~200*. Lately I have been noticing that my EOT has been creeping upwards of 210*...up to as much as 215*. ECT has also been creeping up, to about 197*. As part of my PPM I replaced the radiator last week, now engine temps are staying around 190*. Temps stay down on slow driving, but on 20-30 minute trips at highway speeds (55 mph + ) the delta starts to climb.

Still running stock Ford Coolant, no coolant filter. Oil cooler was changed under warranty according to the oasis report about 80K (I am second owner). I cleaned the EGR about 5K ago, didn't notice any moisture in the manifold.

Is it too late to flush and go to ELC with a coolant filter, or did I screw up and let the oil cooler get plugged again? We have been having really hot temps here in Tx the last few weeks (95*+ ambient) if it makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 06:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is it too late to flush and go to ELC with a coolant filter, or did I screw up and let the oil cooler get plugged again? We have been having really hot temps here in Tx the last few weeks (95*+ ambient) if it makes a difference

Its never too late, i started a thread about this a couple weeks ago and got some good feedback. Check it out. I live in TX also and it has been real hot and only goin to get hotter. I would flush system and install coolant filtration kit. and go with ELC by prestone.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Look.... with outside temps at 100*, a heavy truck, and highway speeds, you need to just watch to see what is going on. You go down a big hill, your coolant will cool WAY quciker than your oil. Quick spikes like that are ok. Its when its an all the time thing. When I tow I will see things like that now and then.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i run heavy also. i ve seen my ect hit 215 but my eot is alwas close enough for the 15degree difference. never gets above 10 apart. still a stock truck running the gold. now are these numbers accurate as the paramiters are for an unloaded, not towing on flat ground at cruising speed. no, we are not towing, but it was heavy enough to be sitting on the overloads before my airbags lifted the *** end 3 inches.

bailey
Old 06-30-2012, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the replies.

The scary part is that when I drive, the temps rise for as long as I drive. I usually drive no more than 30 minutes to a job.

I noticed that if I stay about 50 mph the temps do much better. But I make a lot of people mad trying to pass me LOL.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
At 13k you have to consider that is like towing a 5k or 6k trailer for most of us. In 95-100 degree weather your truck is going to run warmer and your delta is going to be larger than a stock empty truck. My CCLB will see temps of up to 205+ ECT and 217 EOT in gridlock stop and go traffic. I am running a BPD remote oil cooler so my temp delta doesn't have the significance that yours does but in hot weather expect it to run hotter. Keep an eye on the delta and if it is consistently 20 degrees or more then you have a problem. To make clear that is based on the 13k weight of your truck and not an average guideline for a typical stock truck.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

Thanks, great info for me also. I run heavy too. I like the trailer to truck weight comparison.

Sent from my DROID Pro using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 08-02-2012, 12:51 AM

Uh oh. Been seeing temps in the 215* range and above.

Did a coolant flush and swap to ELC. Ran her hard for 30-40 minutes, EOT goes up to 220* and climbs for as long as I drive. ECT stays around 190*. Time for a new cooler I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.