Will another stock trans be ok? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 10:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Will another stock trans be ok?

Ok guys I made a post a week or two ago in the 911 section and haven't got any info so far and I am tired of see ole gray sitting in the yard. I think my transmission went on me. My code on the sct was P2703 (transmission friction element D apply time range/ performance). I talked to John Woods and innovative diesel and they think more than likely my transmission has went on me. However I will take it to the shop next week and try to confirm whether i need another transmission or not. My question is can I just buy another stock transmission or do I really need to spend the 6 grand for an aftermarket? I have heard stock transmission should be fine with custom tunes, but not sure if that's true or not...

My mods
Arp head studs, egr delete, injector mod (fuel pressure 75 psi), strengthened ficm, intake, exhaust, sct w/ custom tunes from innovative, 22's & 37's, 6 inch lift, 4:56 gears
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 05:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My whole thought about that is that if you have f-ed one stock trans up then why put another stock trans in? Our trans are good up to about 500 HP though, by the mods in your sig you're not there yet. If you plan on getting bigger injectors, turbo, etc to get over that 500 HP you should go ahead and upgrade your trans. I will say that I honestly didn't realize how much difference a trans will make until I got my BTS trans.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:16 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I was in the same boat as you... Didn want to spend that much and really didnt want to put another stocker in..... I went with a company Called Certified Transmission. I have there stage one in my work truck (99 f250 5.4gas) for 4 years now and holds up great on the farm pulling trailers and plowing snow... So i went with there stage 3 trans with billit triple disc TQ... So far i couldnt be happier.. Shifts are frim and quick.. My SPD Tune runs really strong with it... After i installed a new trans cooler and did the work myself i was just under $4K with my core... So price is good as well... Just an option for you
Old 06-30-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhner5 View Post
I was in the same boat as you... Didn want to spend that much and really didnt want to put another stocker in..... I went with a company Called Certified Transmission. I have there stage one in my work truck (99 f250 5.4gas) for 4 years now and holds up great on the farm pulling trailers and plowing snow... So i went with there stage 3 trans with billit triple disc TQ... So far i couldnt be happier.. Shifts are frim and quick.. My SPD Tune runs really strong with it... After i installed a new trans cooler and did the work myself i was just under $4K with my core... So price is good as well... Just an option for you
Thanks for the tip, I will have to give them a call. Thats not too bad of a price after being installed and trans cooler and everything!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 08:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
I would find a junk yard stocker and go thru it. I am a fan of doing that tho. One of my Fox bodies got a nice built up Tremmec. The other I just break T-5s now and then and repace with stockers.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:46 AM

Might want to check into BTS. Just go to Google and search for Brian's Truck Shop.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-30-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaslord84 View Post
Might want to check into BTS. Just go to Google and search for Brian's Truck Shop.

I have. Its between BTS, John Woods, or Suncoast. And that's if I decide to spend that much cash. Its a hard decision, I just paid the truck off. I just dont know if I need to sink 6 k into a truck that is only worth 18k. I'm definitely not making a sudden decision its something I need to think about. decisions decisions.....
Old 06-30-2012, 08:05 PM

I paid $12k for my truck, I have the title, I also have over $22k in modifications in it. If you put all of that together i have paid $34k for a truck that I like, trust, made, and is bada$$. The point that I am making is that I have the title. Your truck is worth $18k , have the title and need a Trans. Would you rather spend $6k and have a great truck or spend $500+ a month for the next 5-6 years for a truck? Just stating the way I look at it. The $6k Trans is a lot cheaper than a new truck.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:00 AM

Thats true I have thought about it all kinda different ways. I just spent a couple thousand on the motor this year, and now I will have to spend some on the tranny and Im just scared after I spend the money on the tranny something else will go out like the turbo. lol I have had some bad luck, but have learned alot.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:27 AM

Yea I know all about bad luck. Only about $2k of that is because I "wanted" it, the other $20k was because something broke and I upgraded is the process. I should also say that I bought the truck in August 2011. It has been a rough year for me and my truck. The good thong is that just about everything but the stort-block is new and upgraded. Lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.