Yet Another Overheating Question Thread - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yet Another Overheating Question

Well I'm victim to the fantastic cooling system in our 6.0s. I know there are numerous threads on the subject but I have yet to get any valid solution for my particular trucks mods and issues.

For the past few weeks I've been overheating after 45+ minutes of highway driving. (Needle hitting the red). The truck is internally eating coolant like no other. Coolant is disappearing daily. The overheating is very consistent to the point that if my destination is 1 hour away I know not to test my luck. Other than that, the truck runs fine around town and 45 minute or less stints on the highway.

With regular around town driving I am seeing my EOT @ 206* and ECT @ 200*. With highway driving (no towing) I'm consistently seeing EOT @ 220-223 and ECT 205-208. EOT/ECT is within 1*-3* of one another up until around 190*. So this leads me to believe my oil cooler is not the issue. The cooler has never been replaced while the truck has been in my possession from 115k miles to 124k miles (now).

I am already studded, egr delete and the head gaskets were replaced prior to me purchasing the truck. I'm also not seeing any coolant puke. The only thing that keeps headgaskets on my list is the fact that it is eating so much coolant.

I am not running a coolant filtration system and am running regular ford coolant. (lately with so much coolant disappearing i've had to improvise with water on the spot.) I'm unsure of how much of an affect this really is in regards to my overheating issues.

I'm getting on here to ask my fellow 6.0 owners to see if they have any insight before I bite the bullet and take a day off work to take it into the shop.

Thanks in advance for everyones help.

Last edited by zfox44; 06-29-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 06:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Start with it t-stat. If that ain't it then maybe it's ur oil cooler
Old 06-29-2012, 06:18 PM

Blown head gaskets again or a coolant leak somewhere. Maybe a coolant hose or loose clamp. After driving see if you can pinpoint any coolant leakage from underneath. I had this issue on my '06 but only when towing my 5er which turned out to be blown head gaskets. Normally, both the EGR and oil cooler should be replaced.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:19 PM

Were the heads checked for warpage prior to slapping in new gaskets? Sometimes they need to be milled if warped.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:50 PM

What gaskets did you use previously?
Old 06-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm not sure. They were done prior to my purchase of the truck when the studs were put in. The previous owner had the work done at powerstrokehelp in Buford, GA and from what I've seen milling and checking for cracks/warpage would be status quo for him.

I'm going to be replacing t-stat and installing BPD water pump for good measure within the week along with a full flush and ELC fluid. I'm certain this wouldn't be causing the truck to eat fluid like it is. More so going to tackle it for piece of mind.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:12 PM

Powerstrokehelp shop uses black onyx head gaskets and claims they are superior to OEM. He is sadly mistaken. Lots of failures documented on Black Onyx gaskets installed w/ studs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.