EOTs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 05:53 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EOTs

Flushing the cooling system as we speak (truck is at the dealership) and I am cautiously optimistic that it will help what I think is a significantly clogged oil cooler. Reasoning behind my thoughts are that the EOT never gets above 217 (ECT is 187) in the morning on the way to work but the same trip back home gets the EOT to 232 (ECT is 195). In yesterdays heat of 97, the EOT/ECT was 240/202! Does, or maybe should, the outside temperature affect the running temperature of the truck that much? I already have an appointment at Hallas Performance for an oil cooler-ectomy and replacement if the flush is unsuccessful - just wish I didn't have to spend another $1000 or so to get something done that should've been done when the EGR delete was done. OK, <rant off> for now...thanks for the ear...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 06:39 AM
The Silent Service

You need to have the oil cooler done at the dealership now.

You are only going to break more crap loose and clog the cooler more with this flush.
If this is the '06 in your sig with the EGR delete, you don't have HG's to worry about, but you may have an oil cooler rupture if you don't take care of this now.

You are 100% correct that anytime you do an EGR cooler job, the oil cooler should be rebuilt or replaced at the same time.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:54 AM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
THe reason EGR coolers go bad is becouse the oil coolers go bad first. he is right to tell you to get the oil cooler replaced now.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Serving Our Country!

I called the dealership an authorized replacement of the oil cooler - thanks for the advice; it is probably the best choice to get it done now and not get anything else hurt if I continue to drive it. It is a good running and looking truck and I intend on having it for a long time. Once again, thanks for all the advice - it is truly appreciated!
Old 06-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hope the stealership at least gives you a peck on the cheek or a hug after you empty your wallet with them. Been there, done that....but didn't get anything other than the door being held open for me.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You are 100% correct that anytime you do an EGR cooler job, the oil cooler should be rebuilt or replaced at the same time.

I agree to this. I had my EGR cooler deleted and didnt get the oil cooler replaced and three days later, I was back in the same boat with a new HPOP, oil cooler and one injector So double the labor.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:56 AM
Serving Our Country!

After oil cooler replacement, oil temps hover right around coolant temp now and rarely go over 200F - had a minor coolant leak but found a broken clamp and replaced and now all is good. Thanks, again, to colo_dually for his swift kick in the a** and gettin' it fixed!
Old 07-06-2012, 05:03 AM
The Silent Service

I'm here to help partner.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:32 AM

What did the dealer put back in your cooling system? Is it the Motorcraft gold? And did they use tap water?
Old 07-06-2012, 08:51 AM

Also, I'm curious what a dealership charges for that work, compared to what the diesel performance shops charge.

Glad to hear that it is running better! Congrats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.