f550 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
f550

Looking at an 06 f550.
Whats the difference between this and a f350 ?

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 07:54 PM

Mainly the brakes and rear axle I believe.....but someone else probably knows exactly the differences. The frame may be a bit beefed too.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:11 PM

Check your insurance before you get too serious about the 550. Probably have to register it as a commercial vehicle which costs a hell of a lot more to insure vs the 350.

As for the difference, much better brakes on the 550 and the sterling 110 rear axle and i think 4.88 was the only gear option. The frame is also a good bit heavier.

Jason
Old 06-29-2012, 04:54 AM

If you need a F 550, go one step more and get a F 650, most of those trucks come with a CAT 7 liter trubo diesel and a Real Allison trans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4realestate View Post
Looking at an 06 f550.
Whats the difference between this and a f350 ?

Joe
Old 06-29-2012, 05:16 AM

Higher insurance, stiffer leaf springs, poor fuel milage, oh and lower back pains. Depending on usage you might have to register with Dept. of Transportation as commercial vehicle. Even my F-350 is higher on Insurance than a F-250
Old 06-29-2012, 05:39 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
The 450 and 550 start out as a cab and chassis truck.
The frame is heavier/thicker, it's a straight rail type, flat frame behind the cab and only 34" wide (250/350 are 38") so to mount a pick-up box you need to add custom mounts. The main fuel tank is 40 gal and mounted behind the axle, so there is no place for a spare tire to go. There is also an optional 19 gal front tank (which my 450 has). Because of the narrower frame there is limited aftermarket available for exhaust systems that just bolt right on without some mods (mainly the tail pipe fitment because of the rear tank, also bolt on hitches have to be different for the narrow frame.
Like others have said the axles and brakes are heavy duty, and the wheels are 19.5" 10 bolt with F or G load range tires.
The '06 450 has a 16,000 GVWR and I think the 550 is 17,950 GVWR

Because my 450 has a pick-up box my insurance is the same as what my 350 was, but I was told by my insurance guy that he couldn't do that with a 550.

My 450 is perfect for what I use it for, hauling a slide in truck camper with a wet weight of 5000 lbs and pulling a cargo trailer behind it.

Last edited by Arctic Fox; 06-30-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:21 AM

Looked at a couple of f650's. All of them had air brakes. Don't want that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubbock guy View Post
If you need a F 550, go one step more and get a F 650, most of those trucks come with a CAT 7 liter trubo diesel and a Real Allison trans.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the great info.
Trying to get this one because it has a roll off box.. It fits with what I have been doing lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
The 450 and 550 start out as a cab and chassis truck.
The frame is heavier/thicker, it's a straight rail type, flat frame behind the cab and only 34" wide (250/350 are 38") so to mount a pick-up box you need to add custom mounts. The main fuel tank is 40 gal and mounted behind the axle, so there is no place for a spare tire to go. There is also an optional 19 gal front tank (which my 450 has). Because of the narrower frame there is limited aftermarket available for exhaust systems that just bolt right on without some mods (mainly the tail pipe fitment because of the rear tank, also bolt on hitches have to be different for the narrow frame.
Like others have said the axles and brakes are heavy duty, and the wheels are 19.5" 10 bolt with F or G load range tires.
The '06 450 has a 16,000 GVWR and I think the 550 is 18,900 GVWR

Because my 450 has a pick-up box my insurance is the same as what my 350 was, but I was told by my insurance guy that he couldn't do that with a 550.

My 450 is perfect for what I use it for, hauling a slide in truck camper with a wet weight of 5000 lbs and pulling a cargo trailer behind it.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:29 AM

Why the poor fuel mileage ? Worse than the regular 6.0 ? Should I assume because the truck weighs more ?
Also, because it will be hauling, should I also be looking for a 15* delta, if i take it for a spin, unloaded ? And, does the 15* delta also apply when you are hauling/towing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRILLROCK View Post
Higher insurance, stiffer leaf springs, poor fuel milage, oh and lower back pains. Depending on usage you might have to register with Dept. of Transportation as commercial vehicle. Even my F-350 is higher on Insurance than a F-250
Old 06-29-2012, 08:50 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4realestate View Post
Why the poor fuel mileage ? Worse than the regular 6.0 ? Should I assume because the truck weighs more ?
Also, because it will be hauling, should I also be looking for a 15* delta, if i take it for a spin, unloaded ? And, does the 15* delta also apply when you are hauling/towing ?
The truck weighs more and has lower gearing, most come with 4.88 from the factory with 4.30 and 5.13 as options

Look for less than 15* delta running empty at 60 mph on a flat road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.