f550 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 06-28-2012, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 425
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
f550

Looking at an 06 f550.
Whats the difference between this and a f350 ?

Joe
4realestate is offline  
post #2 of 24 Old 06-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Deathrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Orange county
Posts: 211
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mainly the brakes and rear axle I believe.....but someone else probably knows exactly the differences. The frame may be a bit beefed too.

2006 6.0, innovative tunes, intake/exhaust, misplaced smog parts...blah blah blah. 1930 model A stuffed w/12v cummins, he351ve over Ht3b
Deathrod is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 06-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,011
Thanks: 8
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Check your insurance before you get too serious about the 550. Probably have to register it as a commercial vehicle which costs a hell of a lot more to insure vs the 350.

As for the difference, much better brakes on the 550 and the sterling 110 rear axle and i think 4.88 was the only gear option. The frame is also a good bit heavier.

Jason

JasonY is offline  
post #4 of 24 Old 06-29-2012, 03:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Shallowater, Texas
Posts: 455
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you need a F 550, go one step more and get a F 650, most of those trucks come with a CAT 7 liter trubo diesel and a Real Allison trans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4realestate View Post
Looking at an 06 f550.
Whats the difference between this and a f350 ?

Joe
lubbock guy is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 06-29-2012, 04:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
DRILLROCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Friendswood, TX
Posts: 221
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Higher insurance, stiffer leaf springs, poor fuel milage, oh and lower back pains. Depending on usage you might have to register with Dept. of Transportation as commercial vehicle. Even my F-350 is higher on Insurance than a F-250

Jeff

2005 F-350 CCLB King Ranch 4 X 4
Airaid cold air intake box & filter
MBRP TURBO BACK 4" Exhaust
2 1/2" Rancho Coil Spring Front Level Kit
ReadyLift TractBar Relocation Mount
RanchHand Front Replacement Bumper
Ride Rite Rear Air Bags
ScanGauge ll
Dieselsites coolant filter
35/12.50/18" 10p Toyo open Country ll
RC Dual Steering Stabilizers
Atlas 40 from Ficmrepair
River City Diesel EGR Delete
Other Rides--06 Ford Expedition limited--96 Jeep Cherokee--08 GMC crew cab
DRILLROCK is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 06-29-2012, 04:39 AM
Premium Member
 
Arctic Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Stockbridge, Mi.
Posts: 798
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
The 450 and 550 start out as a cab and chassis truck.
The frame is heavier/thicker, it's a straight rail type, flat frame behind the cab and only 34" wide (250/350 are 38") so to mount a pick-up box you need to add custom mounts. The main fuel tank is 40 gal and mounted behind the axle, so there is no place for a spare tire to go. There is also an optional 19 gal front tank (which my 450 has). Because of the narrower frame there is limited aftermarket available for exhaust systems that just bolt right on without some mods (mainly the tail pipe fitment because of the rear tank, also bolt on hitches have to be different for the narrow frame.
Like others have said the axles and brakes are heavy duty, and the wheels are 19.5" 10 bolt with F or G load range tires.
The '06 450 has a 16,000 GVWR and I think the 550 is 17,950 GVWR

Because my 450 has a pick-up box my insurance is the same as what my 350 was, but I was told by my insurance guy that he couldn't do that with a 550.

My 450 is perfect for what I use it for, hauling a slide in truck camper with a wet weight of 5000 lbs and pulling a cargo trailer behind it.

2006 F-450 XLT 4x4 Auto 4.30L Alcoa 19.5" 16,000 GVWR
Kelderman 4-Link/4-Bag Rear Suspension, Lariat Seats, '08 Console, '11 Mirrors, CTS, SCT X3
ARP's w/OEM HG, BPD 6ph FICM @ 58v, BPD Oil Cooler w/stat, Ported Intake, 185 amp Alt
P-Max w/WPE billet wheel, Spearco IC, 4" Banks Exhaust, Shell T6, Zerex EC-1, Oil bypass filter

49,000 miles

Last edited by Arctic Fox; 06-30-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Arctic Fox is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 06-29-2012, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 425
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looked at a couple of f650's. All of them had air brakes. Don't want that.



Quote:
Originally Posted by lubbock guy View Post
If you need a F 550, go one step more and get a F 650, most of those trucks come with a CAT 7 liter trubo diesel and a Real Allison trans.
4realestate is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 06-29-2012, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 425
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the great info.
Trying to get this one because it has a roll off box.. It fits with what I have been doing lately.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
The 450 and 550 start out as a cab and chassis truck.
The frame is heavier/thicker, it's a straight rail type, flat frame behind the cab and only 34" wide (250/350 are 38") so to mount a pick-up box you need to add custom mounts. The main fuel tank is 40 gal and mounted behind the axle, so there is no place for a spare tire to go. There is also an optional 19 gal front tank (which my 450 has). Because of the narrower frame there is limited aftermarket available for exhaust systems that just bolt right on without some mods (mainly the tail pipe fitment because of the rear tank, also bolt on hitches have to be different for the narrow frame.
Like others have said the axles and brakes are heavy duty, and the wheels are 19.5" 10 bolt with F or G load range tires.
The '06 450 has a 16,000 GVWR and I think the 550 is 18,900 GVWR

Because my 450 has a pick-up box my insurance is the same as what my 350 was, but I was told by my insurance guy that he couldn't do that with a 550.

My 450 is perfect for what I use it for, hauling a slide in truck camper with a wet weight of 5000 lbs and pulling a cargo trailer behind it.
4realestate is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 06-29-2012, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 425
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why the poor fuel mileage ? Worse than the regular 6.0 ? Should I assume because the truck weighs more ?
Also, because it will be hauling, should I also be looking for a 15* delta, if i take it for a spin, unloaded ? And, does the 15* delta also apply when you are hauling/towing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRILLROCK View Post
Higher insurance, stiffer leaf springs, poor fuel milage, oh and lower back pains. Depending on usage you might have to register with Dept. of Transportation as commercial vehicle. Even my F-350 is higher on Insurance than a F-250
4realestate is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 06-29-2012, 07:50 AM
Premium Member
 
Arctic Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Stockbridge, Mi.
Posts: 798
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4realestate View Post
Why the poor fuel mileage ? Worse than the regular 6.0 ? Should I assume because the truck weighs more ?
Also, because it will be hauling, should I also be looking for a 15* delta, if i take it for a spin, unloaded ? And, does the 15* delta also apply when you are hauling/towing ?
The truck weighs more and has lower gearing, most come with 4.88 from the factory with 4.30 and 5.13 as options

Look for less than 15* delta running empty at 60 mph on a flat road

2006 F-450 XLT 4x4 Auto 4.30L Alcoa 19.5" 16,000 GVWR
Kelderman 4-Link/4-Bag Rear Suspension, Lariat Seats, '08 Console, '11 Mirrors, CTS, SCT X3
ARP's w/OEM HG, BPD 6ph FICM @ 58v, BPD Oil Cooler w/stat, Ported Intake, 185 amp Alt
P-Max w/WPE billet wheel, Spearco IC, 4" Banks Exhaust, Shell T6, Zerex EC-1, Oil bypass filter

49,000 miles
Arctic Fox is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome