changing 4:10 to 4:30 rear gear? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 04:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
changing 4:10 to 4:30 rear gear?

Anybody ever changed the 4:10 rear gear on a 2007 F 350 DRW to a 4:30 rear gear? the 4:30 rear gear was a Option from ford with the "tow Boss package". How diffucult is it? how much does it cost?
as far as i can tell, the 4:30 rear gear is the only difference between a regular dually and a dually with the "tow boss package from ford"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 04:25 AM

Colo Dually needs to pipe up. He's working on this right now.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:34 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
For just the rear gears and master install kit, I would bet brand new the parts will cost somewhere around $500. It can be done yourself just like anything else here but it takes patients and some nice tools. If you take it to a reputable shop I would bet labor will run you another $500.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:49 AM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubbock guy View Post
Anybody ever changed the 4:10 rear gear on a 2007 F 350 DRW to a 4:30 rear gear? the 4:30 rear gear was a Option from ford with the "tow Boss package". How diffucult is it? how much does it cost?
as far as i can tell, the 4:30 rear gear is the only difference between a regular dually and a dually with the "tow boss package from ford"
Here's what I could pull up off Fordparts.com:
Differential Ring and Pinion (4.30 ratio - Front) $685.98
Differential Ring and Pinion (4.30 ratio -for LS- Rear) $728.88

Doing it with OEM parts is going to cost you. I haven't done much gear work in this area, so I'm not sure what the shims and spacers that you would need. If it was me, I'd have a shop or the dealership do this work, mainly because I don't have the specs to get it right the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Colo Dually needs to pipe up. He's working on this right now.
Actually, I have the TowBoss package from the factory. With 4.30's already in the axles, and it is a huge improvement over 3.73's or 4.10s (with the exception of fuel economy). My project now is retrofitting a wide-track front end on this truck.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:38 AM

even if it cost 1500 dollars parts and labor, thats still less than a new F 350! I wonder if i had a ford dealership do this, could i then get the "tow Boss certification" for my truck?
what is a wide track front end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
Here's what I could pull up off Fordparts.com:
Differential Ring and Pinion (4.30 ratio - Front) $685.98
Differential Ring and Pinion (4.30 ratio -for LS- Rear) $728.88

Doing it with OEM parts is going to cost you. I haven't done much gear work in this area, so I'm not sure what the shims and spacers that you would need. If it was me, I'd have a shop or the dealership do this work, mainly because I don't have the specs to get it right the first time.

Actually, I have the TowBoss package from the factory. With 4.30's already in the axles, and it is a huge improvement over 3.73's or 4.10s (with the exception of fuel economy). My project now is retrofitting a wide-track front end on this truck.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:49 AM

check out randys ring and pinion. i priced this out from them and its definitely less than ford parts. yukon gears are very good and strong. also id find a reputable drivetrain shop before i went with ford. im looking into the swap right now from 3.73 to 4.30. these 37s are killing me
Old 06-28-2012, 05:56 AM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubbock guy View Post
even if it cost 1500 dollars parts and labor, thats still less than a new F 350! I wonder if i had a ford dealership do this, could i then get the "tow Boss certification" for my truck?
what is a wide track front end?
The Wide-Track front end I'm referring to was offered on CCLB DRW '08-'10 F350's under the "Fatboy" package, normally with 4.10's installed (haven't seen any 4.30's). This same front end currently resides in the '11+ F450 Pickups with 4.30's (because Ford no longer uses the commercial grade C&C Frame for the Pickup version of the F450, it has the same axles ratings as an F350, and the Same 8x200mm bolt pattern).

What you lose the addition of about 3" of axle on each side of the front end, and putting on the fenders of an F450 to cover the tires. What you gain is the same weight carrying capacity and a shortened turning radius of about 6 ft (on a CCLB DRW). Your knuckles go from the normal 35* to 45*, which is what gives the C&C trucks such great handling.

However, I do not have a complete parts listing of what you need to make the swap yet. I'm still researching it, and haven't found a suitable donor truck to take an axle off yet. (By the way, the F450 Pickups rear axle is only about one inch wider, which to me isn't worth swapping out with the front due to the '08+ rear springs are a little longer.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.