Picking up a new truck on Saturday. What should I do to it? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 08:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Picking up a new truck on Saturday. What should I do to it?

I am picking up a truck on Saturday, pretty excited to go get it. I was planning on buying a truck, and then selling my current daily driver (Toyota Yaris, hate that car), and then putting the money toward bullet-proofing it. Just my luck, one of the trucks that I was looking at was bullet-proofed! The owner didn't even know it, but I had him read me the info off of the receipt, and called the shop (T&R Racing, in Simi Valley) to verify. Got lucky! The owner thinks he has the BP oil cooler as well, but the shop said it has a stocker. I'll see when I pick it up. I paid $21,500, and it has 94k on the clock. Not a bad deal, considering the bullet-proofing.

It's a 2005 F250 4x4, crew cab, short bed. It also has a 100 gallon auxiliary fuel tank, not sure if I'll keep that or not. It may interfere with a fifth wheel hitch, and will definitely make it hard to put mx bikes in the bed. It seems to have every option, and looks to be in decent shape. It also had a turbo replaced last year, and has new tires and brakes, and a hard tonneau cover.

I plan to do the normal stuff, unless he has a receipt that shows that it was done recently. I'm going to do the following:
- change oil and filter (Motorcraft filter)
- change the fuel filter (Motorcraft filter)
- change the differential fluids on both ends
- change the tranny oil
- flush the cooling system

Should I put some Rev-X in it also?

Any other things that I should do to it to freshen it up? I did some searching)

I'm stoked to get it! I can't wait to drive it, and get out of the Yaris.

Here are a few pics.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 09:03 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
sweet. is it studded? egr delete ect...
Old 06-27-2012, 09:08 PM

gauges gauges gauges!!!!.....or edge insight lol
Old 06-27-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003kingranch View Post
sweet. is it studded? egr delete ect...
It is studded, but has a BP EGR cooler. (not delete) It went in first for a new oil cooler in 2010, they changed that, then it blew a head gasket. So, they did the BP egr cooler, new stock head gaskets, ARP head studs, and also had a reman turbo in the last year.

The owner says he is sure that they did the BP (Neal Technologies) remote oil cooler the second time, but the guy at T&R Performance checked his records, and doesn't have the BP oil cooler noted. But, I'll find out for sure when I pick it up. I'm thinking of doing that if it is a stocker, since I have some money ear marked for some maintenance.

I was stoked that it had already been bullet-proofed, saves me about $5800!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmast View Post
gauges gauges gauges!!!!.....or edge insight lol
Good call, I bought one (Edge Insight CTS), and it shipped today. I should have it on Saturday.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
It is studded, but has a BP EGR cooler. (not delete) It went in first for a new oil cooler in 2010, they changed that, then it blew a head gasket. So, they did the BP egr cooler, new stock head gaskets, ARP head studs, and also had a reman turbo in the last year.

The owner says he is sure that they did the BP (Neal Technologies) remote oil cooler the second time, but the guy at T&R Performance checked his records, and doesn't have the BP oil cooler noted. But, I'll find out for sure when I pick it up. I'm thinking of doing that if it is a stocker, since I have some money ear marked for some maintenance.

I was stoked that it had already been bullet-proofed, saves me about $5800!

Good call, I bought one (Edge Insight CTS), and it shipped today. I should have it on Saturday.
Best thing you could have done. The rest of your list is good too. Then drive it for a while and see if anything else needs to be addressed like ball joints, etc.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:06 AM
The Silent Service

The Monitor is the keystone of successful 6.0L ownership. And it sounds like you've got a well maintained truck, with most of the bullet-proofing knocked out. Lucky find.

After you get new fluids and filters in there, and enjoy the truck for a while.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:55 AM

Thanks, guys.

Should I put some Rev-X in it when I change the oil?

Any other tips or tricks for trucks with some mileage on them that I should also do when I give her the once over?

I'm going to have her checked out at a local diesel performance shop also, to make sure that everything is in order.

I appreciate all of the input!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:56 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That is a great looking truck congrats! You are definitely lucky finding one with a lot of work done already to it.

IMO I'd hold off on the Rev-X and just change it over to a quality 5w-40 synthetic like Rotella T6, Mobil 1 TDT, etc. I wouldn't do Rev-X unless you notice stiction when it's cold out.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRF985 View Post
That is a great looking truck congrats! You are definitely lucky finding one with a lot of work done already to it.

IMO I'd hold off on the Rev-X and just change it over to a quality 5w-40 synthetic like Rotella T6, Mobil 1 TDT, etc. I wouldn't do Rev-X unless you notice stiction when it's cold out.
Thanks, good advice! I'll see how she runs cold, and then think about doing it later.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
IMO the Rev-X couldn't hurt. Throw a couple of bottles in the first time and let it clean things up real good. It helps more than just injector stiction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.