Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Picking up a new truck on Saturday. What should I do to it?

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  jcm3 
#1 ·
I am picking up a truck on Saturday, pretty excited to go get it. I was planning on buying a truck, and then selling my current daily driver (Toyota Yaris, hate that car), and then putting the money toward bullet-proofing it. Just my luck, one of the trucks that I was looking at was bullet-proofed! The owner didn't even know it, but I had him read me the info off of the receipt, and called the shop (T&R Racing, in Simi Valley) to verify. Got lucky! The owner thinks he has the BP oil cooler as well, but the shop said it has a stocker. I'll see when I pick it up. I paid $21,500, and it has 94k on the clock. Not a bad deal, considering the bullet-proofing.

It's a 2005 F250 4x4, crew cab, short bed. It also has a 100 gallon auxiliary fuel tank, not sure if I'll keep that or not. It may interfere with a fifth wheel hitch, and will definitely make it hard to put mx bikes in the bed. It seems to have every option, and looks to be in decent shape. It also had a turbo replaced last year, and has new tires and brakes, and a hard tonneau cover.

I plan to do the normal stuff, unless he has a receipt that shows that it was done recently. I'm going to do the following:
- change oil and filter (Motorcraft filter)
- change the fuel filter (Motorcraft filter)
- change the differential fluids on both ends
- change the tranny oil
- flush the cooling system

Should I put some Rev-X in it also?

Any other things that I should do to it to freshen it up? I did some searching)

I'm stoked to get it! I can't wait to drive it, and get out of the Yaris.

Here are a few pics.

See less See more
#2 ·
sweet. is it studded? egr delete ect...

#4 ·
It is studded, but has a BP EGR cooler. (not delete) It went in first for a new oil cooler in 2010, they changed that, then it blew a head gasket. So, they did the BP egr cooler, new stock head gaskets, ARP head studs, and also had a reman turbo in the last year.

The owner says he is sure that they did the BP (Neal Technologies) remote oil cooler the second time, but the guy at T&R Performance checked his records, and doesn't have the BP oil cooler noted. But, I'll find out for sure when I pick it up. I'm thinking of doing that if it is a stocker, since I have some money ear marked for some maintenance.

I was stoked that it had already been bullet-proofed, saves me about $5800!

gauges gauges gauges!!!!.....or edge insight lol
Good call, I bought one (Edge Insight CTS), and it shipped today. I should have it on Saturday.

#3 ·
gauges gauges gauges!!!!.....or edge insight lol

#6 ·
The Monitor is the keystone of successful 6.0L ownership. And it sounds like you've got a well maintained truck, with most of the bullet-proofing knocked out. Lucky find.

After you get new fluids and filters in there, and enjoy the truck for a while.

#7 ·
Thanks, guys.

Should I put some Rev-X in it when I change the oil?

Any other tips or tricks for trucks with some mileage on them that I should also do when I give her the once over?

I'm going to have her checked out at a local diesel performance shop also, to make sure that everything is in order.

I appreciate all of the input! :drinking3:

#8 ·
That is a great looking truck congrats! You are definitely lucky finding one with a lot of work done already to it. :thumb:

IMO I'd hold off on the Rev-X and just change it over to a quality 5w-40 synthetic like Rotella T6, Mobil 1 TDT, etc. I wouldn't do Rev-X unless you notice stiction when it's cold out.

#9 ·
Thanks, good advice! I'll see how she runs cold, and then think about doing it later.

#10 ·
IMO the Rev-X couldn't hurt. Throw a couple of bottles in the first time and let it clean things up real good. It helps more than just injector stiction.

#11 ·
Just picked up the truck this weekend, love it. It is just as clean as the Autotrader pics, and actually looks better than I expected. I got lucky with all of the extra add-ons:
- bullet proofed - BP EGR cooler, stock oil cooler, arp head studs, stock head gaskets, etc. - Sept 2010
- new reman Ford turbo last year - Sept 2010
- suspension beefed up for towing - extra leaf, air bags
- 100 gallon auxiliary fuel tank in the bed, with a tonneau cover
- no Oasis history
- clean Carfax
- 95k miles

I'm loving it!

One thing that I thought was odd though, was the history of the problems. I assume that it went in for a quick fix, which didn't fix the issue. I'd be interested in knowing other people's thoughts.

June 2010 - went in for a BP (Neal Technologies) EGR cooler, and BP oil cooler assembly. Not the expensive remote oil cooler, a cheaper one. ($375) I'm assuming an upgraded stocker?

Sept 2011 - must have not fixed the issue, went back in for a stock oil cooler, studs, head gasket (and new turbo), along with some suspension upgrades. I think it blew a head gasket that time, and was towed in.

Is this common with the Ford Gold problems, that a few parts are replaced, but the gunk isn't cleaned out? I'm thinking about switching over to the ELC anyway, but at least the truck has 'fresh' Gold coolant from last Sept., and a fresh stock oil cooler.

Thoughts?

#12 ·
Not a lot of history on that aftermarket oil cooler, and for its cost I doubt they put enough R&D into it. What I see with this is a mis-informed owner more than an issue with the truck.

First thing I recommend is a monitor for your truck, I like the Edge Insight CS. With that in the truck, and you keeping an eye on ECT/EOT you won't blow gaskets again. You have to get the oil cooler rebuilt when the delta reaches 15*. Just as simple as that.

#15 ·
Thanks, really enjoying it so far. I'm definitely a tinkerer, and have always done all of my own work on my cars, dirt bikes, etc. I know the diesels can use a little bit more love than some other cars, so think I'll enjoy working on it for some basic maintenance items.

This is my first diesel, so I'm really enjoying reading the forums and learning mroe about them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.