Selling a truck that needs Head Gaskets - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 06:34 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Selling a truck that needs Head Gaskets

I bought a 2003 f250 fx4 last September. Make a long story short i ended up needing another engine so i was at a cross road of buy used or reman. So i settled on a reman for 4000.00 shipped to the shop. Well they got everything together and upon start up one of the head Gaskets Were leaking. Just my luck. I really dont have anymore money to put into the truck i know i will take a major loss but what would the Value be if i sold it like it is now. I sold my previous car to make this my primary means of transportation. The dealer i got it from sold it to me with a 3 year powertrain Aftermarket warranty. I knew going in the 6.0s had some issues but hey i have a warranty right. When i looked over the warranty paper it showed everything it covers. Well when the previous engine went south i find out they only cover 3000.00. So i got hosed with the warranty it really didn't even cover the labor for the new engine. When i bought the truck i had a small settlement so i paid cash. The settlement money is gone and now im stuck without transportation. I had to take out a loan for the engine so im stuck with a 4000 dollar loan. The reman shop wont warranty the engine because its been "over heated". It never even left the Diesel Shop they told me they idled it for an hour tops they knew from the start it had some type of leak that was narrowed down to one of the head gaskets. So im stuck in a blame game.

I was considering getting the shop to replace the bad head gasket but thats going to end up costing 2000.00 at the least which would really be tough to cover right now. Im just considering walking away from it and taking my losses. Does anyone have any advice as to what i could get for the truck like it sits. Below is what i have in the truck give me some pointers on what i should even list it for if i cant cover replacing the gaskets

Reman Engine with leaking head gasket. Body has 140K
New Ball joints
Fx4 package 4x4
New Dick Cepeck Mud country 285s
Pioneer Dvd Player installed

Overall the truck is very nice its what ive always wanted but ive drove it 2 weeks out of the 10 months ive owned it.

pic

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 06:50 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
man thats almost identical to my truck before mods! Hits me at home i bought my truck and then someone who knew the guy who had it before me said he traded it in because the shop that worked on it last gave it 6 months tops! It sucks people dont think that when they trade it in they are really just going to screw someone else. its been almost a year and so far so good!

I couldnt even begin to tell you what its worth but just wanna say good luck on everything!
Old 06-26-2012, 07:11 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Well. Where are you located? I am off work right now so I wouldnt mind doing HGs ETC if the price is really right on the truck.....
Old 06-26-2012, 07:14 PM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Just out of curiousity, where are you located? I feel bad for the situation you are in, and I know you aren't the only person that a 6.0 has gotten upside down in trying to fix it. But there are quite a few people these days that can work on 6.0 trucks and will try and pick them up for cheap. So try and get what you can out of it, you can always come off your price, and maybe you can at least get out from under your loan on the engine.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:39 PM

Im in central Louisiana.

Im supposed to get a quote tomorrow on what it will cost to replace just the head gasket that seems to have failed. What really sucks is the truck overall is in really good shape for an 03. Really the shape of the truck is why i pulled the trigger on it. When i was looking i really wanted a 7.3 and the place i went to had a 02 7.3 4 door which is the truck i was coming to look at. When i got there a guy had just got done test driving it and was leaving to get the money to buy it. The 03 6.0 i ended up with now was parked right next to it. I should have bought the one i was going to look at out from under the guy but this 03 was in such good shape the interior and exterior just looked alot better. I also liked the look of the 2 door. It had Free Warranty Written on the glass so i figured i couldn't loose. Well i ended up loosing my ***. I bet they guy that got that 02 7.3 is riding around enjoying the hell out of that truck.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Damn man that sucks. What kinda warranty was on the reman engine?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macoyle View Post
Damn man that sucks. What kinda warranty was on the reman engine?

1 year unlimited miles. The second i got head gasket leaking out my mouth the response was we don't cover overheating. I told them it was at a Diesel shop it never even moved. I mean i can understand if racked up a few thousand miles on the engine with some tunes but the thing never budged. They just got the engine in Friday upon start up they knew something was wrong.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I'd say f that it didn't overheat, they leaked from the first second it fired up
Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid85 View Post
1 year unlimited miles. The second i got head gasket leaking out my mouth the response was we don't cover overheating. I told them it was at a Diesel shop it never even moved. I mean i can understand if racked up a few thousand miles on the engine with some tunes but the thing never budged. They just got the engine in Friday upon start up they knew something was wrong.

Don't let them get away with that crap. File a complaint with the BBB ad see if that doesn't wake them up.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

At least if u had the $$ u can send the heads out to be checked,milled , and add arp head studs etc..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.