Time for injectors on the Outlaw! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Time for injectors on the Outlaw!

Well, I had posted a long write-up in the motor problems if anyone cares to read fully what my symptoms were. Spark notes version; it ran fine all day, later that evening it developed a miss that rapidly turned worse and it was smoking more than normal and kept throwing a cylinder 5 code.

Well, today I tore into it. Injector #5 is pulled out and the pictures show what was going on. Cracked tip.

I understand this usually happens due to low fuel pressure? I don't have a fuel pressure gauge so I don't know what was going on there. I have the fuel spring mod, but apparently it was too late?

Someone with more experience than me can hopefully help me out here.... Until now, the pickup ran great except for some troublesome cold starts I never could pinpoint. Should I grab one stock injector and be on my way; or with the condition of this injector should I do all eight? I don't need crazy injectors, but have heard great things about Warren Stock+ and the price is appealing. What other reputable places have stock sticks, or slightly above stock?

Here's the pics of the carnage!

If anyone wants some more pics while I have stuff apart let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 02:56 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
For what its worth - when/if my truck needs injectors I am going to get some of warren's 155/30s as I am in the same boat, dont want any crazy injectors but why not upgrade a bit while they are out. And I have read nothing but GREAT things from warren's products, they will be getting my business eventually

My .02

Todd
Old 06-26-2012, 02:59 PM
The Silent Service

At a minimum, I would replace that bank with OEM units. If you feel like you may have damaged all of them due to low fuel pressure, replace all 8. (Which is the preferred method, after correcting your low pressure condition.)

If you go to aftermarket injectors, you're bound to all 8 anyway. Its simply a matter of how big you want to go and how much power you want to make. I have a thread over in 6.0L Performance that may help you out.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the reply colo_dually (always good to see another Colorado member!). I read through your write-up in the performance section, excellent info, thanks a lot for compiling that in one place!!

I can only assume fuel pressure is what did this, but I don't know for sure. The pickup has run out of fuel one time I know of, but that has been a while ago.

My thoughts were, if it's best to do all 8 I figure why not upgrade a touch while I've got to do it anyway. If there wasn't a worry to change the 1 with a stock replacement I would go that route. From your post, seems I will likely be doing 8. Thanks for the comments!
Old 06-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Have you checked your FICM and your batteries for your cold start issue?
Old 06-26-2012, 03:42 PM
The Silent Service

First step is to identify and correct the cause of this failure. If you don't have the gauge, you can't say for sure its pressure. Might be the FICM, or something else. You don't want to put new injectors in there, only to have them go bad. Particularly if you drop the money on aftermarkets.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:10 PM

Batteries and FICM both test good. I constantly monitor the FICM on the CTS and have never seen anything below 48v. I have even tested with a multi-meter from prestart through starting, to started in the dead of winter (below 30 temps) and it never dropped below 48. When all this happened I checked the water separator and nothing but clean fuel came out. I've been around the pickup since it was new, but have only owned since January. The fuel spring mod was done very recently as a preventative measure. This is why my gut says is was fuel pressure....
Old 06-26-2012, 04:14 PM
The Silent Service

Sounds like pressure may be the cause then, you have two options, fuel pressure sender for the CTS you have, or branch out and put on a traditional gauge. Wouldn't be without one on these trucks.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:25 PM

I had been holding off the fuel PSI kit for the CTS because of the cost... I just couldn't figure why the pieces cost so much. Regardless, because of this I'm for sure going to do that along with whatever injectors.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:03 AM
The Silent Service

When you do it, you need the kit for the CTS, and you have two options of plumbing it:

1) A connection off the test fitting.
2) A billet cap, with a hose running off it.

Option 1 is the cheaper method to connect it, make sure you use a hose off either and keep the sender from all the vibrations and heat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.