Curious about stud $$$ - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 06:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to bwmtnbiker
Curious about stud $$$

Just out of curiosity, how much do yall think it would cost to do the arp studs on my own? I have a place that I can get the cab off and out of the way and make it easy on us and I think I have all of the tools I would need, not sure though.

I know studs will be $450 and HGs will be about $280. But I just need an estimate cause I'm moving out of my parents place and away from my nice paying job to live with my GF and go to the University of Florida. I want to start a Head Stud fund but need a ball park $$$ figure to aim for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 07:30 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are your headgaskets blown? With 300k+ miles, I would just save up for whatever the next repairs are. Then, when you're in there doing HPOP or whatever else you can do headstuds at the same time.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Premium Member

I have to agree! If it made it 300k+ miles I'd hold off cause it's going to most likely need other stuff and just do it while your in there!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 06-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Premium Member

i was 4600 into mine that was new heads, gaskets, studs, stand pipes, dumby plugs, oil cooler, coolant filter. 7 gal rotella coolant 4 gal t6 oil and a blue spring
Old 06-26-2012, 08:08 AM

Well they blew for the previous owner but they are still intact for me and Im not having issues with them yet. Supposedly they changed the HPOP while they did the head gaskets a while back. I'm not real sure what they did because he just paid someone to do it all but no papers to prove it. Ive done the blue spring and a couple other things too. I think my oil cooler is on its way to clogging even though I flushed before hand. I was just curious what kinda money it takes to get that far into it so I can try to plan ahead. I want to make sure I have the money before it blows ya know? This moving out thing is going to stretch me thin lol

So i should add an HPOP, stand pipes and dummy plugs to my list?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by still runs View Post
i was 4600 into mine that was new heads, gaskets, studs, stand pipes, dumby plugs, oil cooler, coolant filter. 7 gal rotella coolant 4 gal t6 oil and a blue spring
Did you do your own and it cost $4,600?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:44 AM
The Silent Service

Since they have been done before, assuming zero issues, check to see if studs were already installed.

The project is going to cost what you put into it. Do a lot of shopping around, and it will pay off for you. Don't get any all-in-one solutions kit, and make sure you get the heads checked and OEM gaskets installed.

I'll post a thread with a number of part numbers and discussion points:
Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
Since they have been done before, assuming zero issues, check to see if studs were already installed.

The project is going to cost what you put into it. Do a lot of shopping around, and it will pay off for you. Don't get any all-in-one solutions kit, and make sure you get the heads checked and OEM gaskets installed.

I'll post a thread with a number of part numbers and discussion points:
Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.
I check that as soon as the owner started "forgetting" what he paid for. I didn't know how to tell but the org helped me look and they are definitely not studs. Looks like a regular old bolt. Even though they were stupid to not stud it, they did at least appear to use all factory ford parts.

I always shop and scour the web for days before I buy anything. I have done quite a bit of reading here and will using nothing but OEM gaskets and studs. Getting the heads checked will be tricky because I dont know of any shops locally but Ill ask around when it comes times.

Excellent thread, that seems to have about all the info one could ever need
Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 AM

Colo dually, I noticed you said not to buy an all in one solutions kit. Is there a reason for this? I'm saving up to bulletproof my truck and was looking at sinisters basic solution kit. Is it cheaper getting it piece by piece?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xford250x View Post
Colo dually, I noticed you said not to buy an all in one solutions kit. Is there a reason for this? I'm saving up to bulletproof my truck and was looking at sinisters basic solution kit. Is it cheaper getting it piece by piece?
I would imagine you could piece together your own kit for cheaper. Most of the kits come with the black onyx gaskets and you want to stay away from those. I called sinister at one point and they said they would build me a kit with whatever I wanted but I'm pretty sure ebay, amazon and tousley ford would be a lot cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.