Buying a truck with an auxiliary fuel tank. Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buying a truck with an auxiliary fuel tank. Questions

I should be buying a 2005 4x4 f250 crew cab this week. It's a pretty clean truck, at a fair price. The owner towed a hitch tow hauler, I believe, and had a 100 gallon auxiliary fuel tank installed, in the bed. It's a short bed, and I'm pretty sure that it would have to be removed for me to be able to tow a fifth wheel toy hauler.

Any opinions on if it would still work with the fifth wheel hitch? It looks to go to about the forward part of the wheel wells, and is not angled like some of them are. It looks square.

If I do need to remove it, do they typically install in a way that there will be holes to fill?

And (last question ), are they typically worth selling if I do have to remove it?

The truck is on Auto Trader right now, so I'll see if I can post up a pic.

Thanks very much for any opinions or thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 06:54 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i think it will work as the tank sits infront of the wheeel wells. where as your 5th wheel hitch sits between them, should be enough room. as for holes, depends on how he mounted it. lots of guys just cinch them down with the hooks in the box. me, i drilled holes and bolted it to the floor. and yeh, well worth selling if its not going to work. new tank will run you 600-1000. the pump with hose and nozzel will run another 500 new.

bailey
Old 06-25-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by van-boy View Post
i think it will work as the tank sits infront of the wheeel wells. where as your 5th wheel hitch sits between them, should be enough room. as for holes, depends on how he mounted it. lots of guys just cinch them down with the hooks in the box. me, i drilled holes and bolted it to the floor. and yeh, well worth selling if its not going to work. new tank will run you 600-1000. the pump with hose and nozzel will run another 500 new.

bailey
Great info, thanks for your response. I'm not sure if the way the gentleman installed his is the same way you did yours, but it sounds like his doesn't feed the stock tank, but he has a switch to go back and forth. It sounds like it has its benefits, and hopefully it will work with a fifth wheel hitch setup. It would be nice to have the extra range, when needed.

It might make heading out the mx track a challenge, I'll have to make sure I have a bed extender.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Premium Member

When my 2005 4x4 F-450 DRW was being built I asked for the Aux. tank. It provided an additional 19 gals. to the main 40 gal. unit. back then, diesel was the least expensive fuel.
Bear in mind at 8 lbs. a gallon, the curb weight can climb fast.
Best of luck and happy miles with whatever tank combo you decide!
Jon
Old 06-25-2012, 10:48 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i dont know how much feul you plan on carrying all the time. but i carry 100 leters in my truck full and 400 leters in my tidy tank all the time along with all the other crap i have on my truck. on my 350 drw, it was sagging and sitting on the overloads all the time. i had it weighed and it was sitting at 5800 kg. i then added firestones and it leveled out the ride. dont notice any ride difference except my headlights arent pointing to the sky.

bailey
Old 06-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
Great info, thanks for your response. I'm not sure if the way the gentleman installed his is the same way you did yours, but it sounds like his doesn't feed the stock tank, but he has a switch to go back and forth. It sounds like it has its benefits, and hopefully it will work with a fifth wheel hitch setup. It would be nice to have the extra range, when needed.

It might make heading out the mx track a challenge, I'll have to make sure I have a bed extender.

Thanks again for your input.
With the set up you have the tank and gages cost somewhere around $1500.00 a few years ago, I would keep it. Desiel is about
7.3 LB's per gal.
Doug
Old 06-26-2012, 08:56 AM

Great info, I appreciate everyone's responses.

If I can keep it, it makes sense. I'll have to make sure it doesn't interfere with the hitch.

The previous owner also installed air bags, which is great. He said he just puts diesel in both, and when one gets near empty (the light comes on), he switches to the other one. That makes sense, as it would keep fresh diesel in both, and not let it get old.

I'll also keep in mind the weight, that is definitely something to consider. I don't make too many trips where the distance would really warrant the extra tank, but I guess it makes sense to have it in case I do need it. It's also nice to have that in my back pocket, in case I need to bug out for any reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.