This forum does not instill confindence!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This forum does not instill confindence!!

Wow. I have been debating on trading in my 06' Mustang GT on a 05' crew cab dually with the diesel. My clueless thought on it (and I cannot be the only one) is that a diesel will run forever. Well after rummaging through this forum, and seeing pictures of everybody's cab hanging over their truck I am becoming a little worried about getting one.

I take it that most of these issues with the diesels are a not "if" it happens, but a "when" it happens kind of deal? What kind of price are we talking for these basic fixes? I will be getting a 4 year extended warranty on the truck too.

I am no longer wanting to be wrenching on a vehicle other than basics. With that said, would this truck not be a good idea to get?? Thanks in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Fact of the matter is that these trucks are expensive to own and operate. They are prone to oil coolers clogging up which can lead to blown egr coolers and blown head gaskets if not caught early enough. You need a good monitoring system like the Edge Insight or at least a ScangaugeII so you can keep an eye on vitals and fix things before it cascades into a big repair bill as in the scenario above. It is certainly cheaper if you turn your own wrenches. A good cooling system flush, a coolant filter, and proper cooling system maintenance goes a long way for reliability. If you are looking for a buy it, change oil once in a while, and drive it then I suggest you get a gasser. If you're willing to monitor your vehicles systems and be absolutely meticulous in your maintenance (which ain't cheap, $100-$120 oil changes every 5k miles for example) and do so reliability preventive maintenance up front the 6.0 is a great motor and the Super Duty is the best truck out there.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do the basic checkups before buying another vehicle, oasis, any signs of leaks etc.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:56 AM

I'm a new diesel owner myself. I don't tow or haul anything, but when I bought this truck it was in my mind that I would like to have a slide-in camper or travel trailer someday. The research I had done was before diesel got more expensive than gas, and probably before the 6.0L came out. What I learned then made me lean toward the diesel, but what I've learned since has mostly been against. If I had the same decision to make today I would not choose the diesel, or at least I would wait until I had a real need for it. If I needed a truck, it would be a diesel, in fact it would be THIS diesel, the 6.0L, but I don't really 'need' a truck at this point. Since I have it I'm taking care of it right, and I'm not planning to get rid of it, but that's because I can afford the extra money (so far) and I like working on things. And I do LIKE having a truck, and a diesel, and I LOVE the 6.0L.
You should take what you're learning seriously. Try to learn a lot more before you make a decision.
As a buyer today, I would be very hard on the seller. I would use my ScanGauge and find every fault I could, and I'd hold them against the price hard. If they wouldn't make me a great price, I'd pass. Due to a series of bad decisions and uninformed owners and dealers, these trucks should be available for a lot less than they're worth, and I'd hold em to that.

Last edited by Idahoser; 06-25-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, so kind of a hypothetical, say I buy the truck and no leaks everything seems fine. I hook up the monitoring system and everything is fine. Say a year later the oil and coolant temps start verying towards the 15 degree difference mark. Will this be a fortune to fix? Or since I will be catching it early it will be okay?

And when you say flush the coooant, how often do you have to do it?? Sorry for all the questions but it is turning into a much bigger decision! lol

And thanks for the help already!!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

And don't listen to that idiot at Powerstrokehelp.com or you'll really be in trouble.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also, the 2005 I am looking at only has 60,000. Could there be much damage done by this mileage mark?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk Carmichael View Post
Ok, so kind of a hypothetical, say I buy the truck and no leaks everything seems fine. I hook up the monitoring system and everything is fine. Say a year later the oil and coolant temps start verying towards the 15 degree difference mark. Will this be a fortune to fix? Or since I will be catching it early it will be okay?

And when you say flush the coooant, how often do you have to do it?? Sorry for all the questions but it is turning into a much bigger decision! lol

And thanks for the help already!!
If your delta exceeds 15* then it's time for a new oil cooler. The cost of a new oil cooler from Tousley Ford Parts is about $250 by the time it's shipped. If you are willing to turn your own wrenches, there's your cost. Or you could get IPR's remote mount kit for about $1200 and remotely mount the oem oil cooler so that if it clogs again it is a half hour job to change it, making it more like routine maintenance. Or you can buy a Bulletproof Diesel remote oil cooler which replaces the oem oil cooler with an air to oil cooler and never worry about a clogged oil cooler again for about $2300 depending on options. Now these are all priced for the hardware. If you don't want to turn the wrenches installation adds to the cost significantly. If you catch it as the oil cooler is clogging there should be no down stream damage to worry about.

As for flushing the cooling system it depends on what coolant you decide to run. If you stick with the Ford Gold (G-05) coolant I receommend every year or 30k miles whichever comes first. If you switch to a Cat EC-1 rated ELC coolant meant for diesel trucks the operational life is a minimum 5 years or 300k miles.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Buy a Cummins..................

Old 06-25-2012, 10:19 AM

The cost of repair to the oil and egr cooler is really up to you with two differnt out comes. The first is you do it right the first time and never have to worry again. This is done by going to BulletProofDiesel - Darn-Near Bullet Proof Diesel Products for your 6.0 and getting their coolers. The price is right around $3100.00 this includes egr cooler, oil cooler, arp studs, head gaskets and and the other gaskets needed (labor not included). The other option is to replace with factory parts and continue to worry when they will fail again. It may be 50,000 miles, it may be never. The price is half of the first option however the choice is yours. I say go for it if you want an awesome truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.